Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be building a new PC in a couple of weeks, my first ever PC with new parts.
I will be going for X99, with an i7 extreme 5960X
Just getting cheap memory, as I figure that any quad channel DDR4 will be faster than even world record OC dual channel DDR3.
CoolerMaster Nepton 280L AIO for cooling. I'm willing to change this if there's something better, but money is a concern.
Fractal Design Define R5 case. ATX mobo.
970 graphics card, unless AMD releases the 300 series in time.
Using my Corsair AX1200 PSU. It's not the 'i'.
Intel 520 series SSD, 120GB.

System will be used for cryptography, web browsing, gaming, server management, and hardware emulation.
Often all at the same time. Hence why I'm paying so much for my CPU.

I want to get a 50% OC on my CPU. It will be only for brief periods of time, and I'm fine with disabling cores to achieve this.
So, just looking for suggestions on a good mobo for OC.
Gaming focused features are not important. Not in the slightest way. Gaming will be secondary for this system.
Gigabyte is my preferred brand, but I am willing to get any well respected brand. Except Asrock. I WILL NOT get an Asrock board.
ATX form factor is preferred, but I suppose I can go with something bigger. I want to stay with the R5 case, as it's the only one I know of that has the PSU dust filter remove from the front.

An important consideration is that I work mobos pretty hard. Every mobo that I've ever owned has died due to heat damage on the southbridge.
To the point that I'm considering getting a peltier plate to sub-zero cool the chipset.

Currently looking at the Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 Motherboard. Thoughts?
It's $399AUD, which is about my target cost for mobo.

Final note, I currently reside in Australia, so Aussie stores for pricing reference if possible please.
I often shop at http://pccasegear.com/

Name drop!
@acessalvation

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

Damn prices are crazy in AU.
Funny but not much better in the UK. I found the Asus Rampage V Extreme on the OP's linked website, converted to GBP and it's £343. Checked Overclockers UK and it costs £340.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Swiftech H220x/H240x is better than Nepton 280L if it's sold in your country. X99 boards don't really make that much of a difference as far as OCing as long as you get a decent one (UD4 is fine). The most important things are your cooling and the silicon lottery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to note is that the Gigabyte boards only use 2 PCIe lanes for the M.2 slot. That means if you get a M.2 SSD, it will be limited to 2x speeds.

Some other X99 boards have 4x PCIe lanes for their M.2, so if you are into fast storage, that might be a factor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

that board should do fine! Damn prices are crazy in AU.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post

Funny but not much better in the UK. I found the Asus Rampage V Extreme on the OP's linked website, converted to GBP and it's £343. Checked Overclockers UK and it costs £340.
Everywhere except US suffers for price >.>
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

Swiftech H220x/H240x is better than Nepton 280L if it's sold in your country. X99 boards don't really make that much of a difference as far as OCing as long as you get a decent one (UD4 is fine). The most important things are your cooling and the silicon lottery.
Can't get it without importing, and I am on a budget.
I figure that the Nepton should be enough cooling, as the CPU would only be maxed for short bursts on 2 cores when at 4.5, and probably never maxed while at 4.0, which is what I aim for everyday use.
I hope to boost my lottery chances by disabling cores. I know it will take me a while to find the best cores, but I will do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldthecat View Post

One thing to note is that the Gigabyte boards only use 2 PCIe lanes for the M.2 slot. That means if you get a M.2 SSD, it will be limited to 2x speeds.

Some other X99 boards have 4x PCIe lanes for their M.2, so if you are into fast storage, that might be a factor.
I will be getting an M.2 eventually, but only for use as a recovery drive, so speed is not important. Thank you for the information though, I was not aware of that.
If I need speed, I think I would be more inclined to have a big RAID0 (with regular backups), so now I know that it's the only real option anyways.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plottingCreeper View Post

Thank you!
Everywhere except US suffers for price >.>
Can't get it without importing, and I am on a budget.
I figure that the Nepton should be enough cooling, as the CPU would only be maxed for short bursts on 2 cores when at 4.5, and probably never maxed while at 4.0, which is what I aim for everyday use.
I hope to boost my lottery chances by disabling cores. I know it will take me a while to find the best cores, but I will do it.
I will be getting an M.2 eventually, but only for use as a recovery drive, so speed is not important. Thank you for the information though, I was not aware of that.
If I need speed, I think I would be more inclined to have a big RAID0 (with regular backups), so now I know that it's the only real option anyways.
Uhh.. why would you buy a 5960x and run only 2 cores? You could just buy a Pentium G3258 and overclock it to 4.7GHz for 1/20 of the price.... You'd have the same chip with less cache and no AVX2. Not like you really need those on two cores.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
that mobo should do you just fine, gigabyte is doing great this time around with their mobos. I personally would go for the x99 SOC FORCE, but its a good $100+ more over that one, probably more down in straya.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Uhh.. why would you buy a 5960x and run only 2 cores? You could just buy a Pentium G3258 and overclock it to 4.7GHz for 1/20 of the price.... You'd have the same chip with less cache and no AVX2. Not like you really need those on two cores.
Emulating some...interesting...hardware. I need AVX2 for it as well.
Most of the time, I would be booting to windows, with all cores enabled, and I'm aiming for 4.0Ghz.
Sometimes, I would boot from the network, only actually be using 2 or 3 cores, and running low level hardware emulation. There, I need a lot of single core performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

that mobo should do you just fine, gigabyte is doing great this time around with their mobos. I personally would go for the x99 SOC FORCE, but its a good $100+ more over that one, probably more down in straya.
$80 discount right now, making it only a $50 gap, but I would rather not, as that's E-ATX, so I would have to get a different case.

Aside from some extra buttons that I'll never use, switches that I'll forget exist, voltage readouts that I can't use, and the included OC brace that I would lose instantly, is there any real difference between the UD4 and the SOC?
If there's any real advantage that would benefit me, I certainly would be willing to switch boards, but so far, I don't see any reason to.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
sin can answer that better than i can honestly, i would mostly go for it due to i would use pretty much everything you said you wouldnt use lol.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm not going to be messing around with insane OC, I need something that I can spend a day setting up, and then never need to bother changing things, except switching profiles for my emulator VM.

Any thoughts on preventing the chipset from overheating? It's an issue that I've had many many times in the past, killed about 10 mobos so far from heat damage.
I'm thinking of just packing my case with Noctua redux fans, 2 front, 1 bottom and 1 side as intake, 2 top and 1 rear exhaust. Would this be overkill? Overkill is precisely what I'm aiming for
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your help, by the way.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
well you can waterblock them to be the most effective, but not exactly the best price effective lol.

just get lots of fans really....lots of them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are my chances of fitting an AIO on the chipset?
I'll certainly go over budget with cooling to protect my system.

In case it helps, this being Australia, ambient temps range from 20c at night to 45c during the day.
Although it once did get to 54c in here when I was using dual R9 290s and trying to mine bitcoins...my case window burnt my hand when I touched it...

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not going to be messing around with insane OC, I need something that I can spend a day setting up, and then never need to bother changing things, except switching profiles for my emulator VM.

Any thoughts on preventing the chipset from overheating? It's an issue that I've had many many times in the past, killed about 10 mobos so far from heat damage.
I'm thinking of just packing my case with Noctua redux fans, 2 front, 1 bottom and 1 side as intake, 2 top and 1 rear exhaust. Would this be overkill? Overkill is precisely what I'm aiming for
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your help, by the way.
Pack your case with Delta/San Ace fans. Noctua fans aren't really going to supply that much airflow. They are solid airflow fans, but more about delivering good airflow while being fairly quiet.
Quote:

What are my chances of fitting an AIO on the chipset?
I'll certainly go over budget with cooling to protect my system.

In case it helps, this being Australia, ambient temps range from 20c at night to 45c during the day.
Although it once did get to 54c in here when I was using dual R9 290s and trying to mine bitcoins...my case window burnt my hand when I touched it...
How would you mount the AIO? Pretty sure the only way to watercool a chipset is custom.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
no idea about the AIO on the chipset. Your best bet really is to get a board with good cooling (which is pretty much all of them now these days) and point some high powered fans at the motherboard.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Pack your case with Delta/San Ace fans. Noctua fans aren't really going to supply that much airflow. They are solid airflow fans, but more about delivering good airflow while being quiet.
Neither of those brands are available here without importing...
I choose Noctua because they can handle running 100%, 24/7, for a very long time. They aren't quiet in the slightest when put up full power, and absolutely destroy everything else that I've seen for airflow and air pressure.
I would like another quiet system though, as it is run 24/7, and sits about 3m away from my bed. Don't need it to be silent, just not sound like a hurricane.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
just dont put those cooler master fans in there lol, they move a lot of air but godddddddddd they sound like a pack of rabid bees.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

no idea about the AIO on the chipset. Your best bet really is to get a board with good cooling (which is pretty much all of them now these days) and point some high powered fans at the motherboard.
That's the plan so far
biggrin.gif

Since I'm not getting the windowed R5, I might even break out the duct tape and zipties to suspend a fan over the chipset >.>
That would look so horrible, but it would probably work...

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Quote:

Neither of those brands are available here without importing...
I choose Noctua because they can handle running 100%, 24/7, for a very long time. They aren't quiet in the slightest when put up full power, and absolutely destroy everything else that I've seen for airflow and air pressure.
I would like another quiet system though, as it is run 24/7, and sits about 3m away from my bed. Don't need it to be silent, just not sound like a hurricane.
Noctua's really aren't that loud. Any 120mm fan at 2500RPM+ is going to be loud. Noctua fans are more of a do it all fan. They aren't the best for air flow, h2o pressure, or the quietest but they do all of that fairly well while being made to last. You can definitely find fans that will push more air flow than Noctua's even from the major brands.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts