1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old ain't dead
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,965 Posts
That is good option. However it might not support the 3100 out of box. So you might need to borrow an older cpu to flash it.

·
Old ain't dead
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is good option. However it might not support the 3100 out of box. So you might need to borrow an older cpu to flash it.

Thats what I was worried about. Do you have any recommendations for a b550? I don't know whats reliable for AMD

·
Overclock the World
1,904 Posts
@THEoBZ As for specs , old B3xx/B4xx Gigabyte boards do look good
Their bios is alright, when it's unlocked
Although even if i like them as a company, the whole B3/450 lineup including down to X399 all had overvolting issues by a design mistake
It overvolted 0.1v over at what you put in the bios

For purely stock operation it might be a decent option, but if the bios is buggy
(looking at X570 Aorus Pro and rememberin Key's issue with gigabyte bios qc, from Winraid)
I sadly can not recommend any gigabyte board
X570 seems like they listened to the VRM complain and redesigned it, although implemented a dual recovery bios design on boards without DIP switch
Which resulted in a failsafe bios instead of CMOS wipe on boot issues ~ which's only solve is to fully reflash the bios each CMOS reset you cause
. . .unclear how such design passed
(anything under the Aorus Master had this flaw, the great Pro included) :(

MSI as much "consumer trust-issues" they started to have, at least when their products are fine, they seems to do well.
Stick with the B450 Tomahawk Max series , or maybe consider the "newer" B450 Steel Legend for this CPU
ASRock on it's own tends to save a bit on the VRM design, and some old B350 boards had purely locked down bioses
But at least they try to follow the open bios approach by quite some pushes from the german community and representatives

B550 lineup except some ITX boards seems to be purely bad and overpriced
Some exceptions are there with Renesas VRMs and only 2 with Infineon and TDA power delivery

Your best bet for old boards probably are X370 and X470 used boards. Same as MAX series boards
Ones that have USB flashback or are as new as the Steel legend lineup (launched with X570)

·
Old ain't dead
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@THEoBZ As for specs , old B3xx/B4xx Gigabyte boards do look good
Their bios is alright, when it's unlocked
Although even if i like them as a company, the whole B3/450 lineup including down to X399 all had overvolting issues by a design mistake
It overvolted 0.1v over at what you put in the bios

For purely stock operation it might be a decent option, but if the bios is buggy
(looking at X570 Aorus Pro and rememberin Key's issue with gigabyte bios qc, from Winraid)
I sadly can not recommend any gigabyte board
X570 seems like they listened to the VRM complain and redesigned it, although implemented a dual recovery bios design on boards without DIP switch
Which resulted in a failsafe bios instead of CMOS wipe on boot issues ~ which's only solve is to fully reflash the bios each CMOS reset you cause
. . .unclear how such design passed
(anything under the Aorus Master had this flaw, the great Pro included) :(

MSI as much "consumer trust-issues" they started to have, at least when their products are fine, they seems to do well.
Stick with the B450 Tomahawk Max series , or maybe consider the "newer" B450 Steel Legend for this CPU
ASRock on it's own tends to save a bit on the VRM design, and some old B350 boards had purely locked down bioses
But at least they try to follow the open bios approach by quite some pushes from the german community and representatives

B550 lineup except some ITX boards seems to be purely bad and overpriced
Some exceptions are there with Renesas VRMs and only 2 with Infineon and TDA power delivery

Your best bet for old boards probably are X370 and X470 used boards. Same as MAX series boards
Ones that have USB flashback or are as new as the Steel legend lineup (launched with X570)

Thank you so much for your input!

·
Old ain't dead
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,965 Posts

·
Overclock the World
1,904 Posts
Just don't get why buying a B450 old motherboard when you can have a B550 for the same price.. which is actually pretty decent.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550m-pro4/p/N82E16813157939?Description=asrock b550&cm_re=asrock_b550-_-13-157-939-_-Product
Because that board is a strong downgrade
B550M PRO4 has Sinopower 2* SM4337, 2* SM4336 with a 3+1 PWM controller, making it practically a 2 phase board (2 high two 2 low for CPU)
It's marketed with a 3+2 uP9505P VRM, which is absolute low end
The quality of this VRM&Mosfet setup is comparable ~ actually "identical" to the B350M Pro-VDH

A B450 Tomahawk MAX runs with 4* 46A 4C029N/​ 4* 4C024N for both high and low
and another 2 high and two low for SOC
This are 12 Mosfets chained as doublers under a RT8894A VRM, = 4+2 layout

Sinopower this ones are worse than this 4C024N but a tiny tiny bit better than PK632BA
Which are used on A320A Bazooka, B350 PC Mate, B350 Tomahawk (on my 1700X it peaked constantly 110c without a 45mm fan)
Well the whole B350 g*... eh "bad" MSI lineup which overheated, used this PK632BA
While ASRock B350 and A320 used the PK618BA ~ a tiny downgrade over this PK632BA soo even bigger g**... eh "bad" setups

Pretty much we have to cherrypick between 110c peaking at 180W and 95c peaking at 150W
It's bad, and the tomahawk is not that great but at least that one works. Not agreeable on the whole B350 lineup
And now let's come back from 50-60$ boards to a B550 branded with the same g**... "bad" design
Is it really worth anything beyond 70$ :thinking: i mean likely the PCIe redriver cost more than the whole VRM setup of this board

EDIT:

the only reason anything 4CxxxN works, even tho it's a really really bad Mosfet ~ is because you chain a mass of them and it somehow can split-cool the heat.
But a 2 phase layout on a B550 board with a 150% (3 times) pricebump over what it really is worth
Please reconsider this choice :eek:
EDIT 2:
Let's actually continue this comparison a tiny tiny bit
Compare the B450 Steel Legend (100$), launched with X570 launch (bit worse than the B450 Toma)
CPU 4* 55A SM4337 8x SM4336
SOC 4x SM4337 & SM4336
Controlled by a 4+2 Phase uP9505
This time a tripple "doubling/trippling" layout , 2 lows 4 highs ~ down to 2 highs
and another doubling of 2x SM4337 for the SOC line ~ although this information is a bit questionable, i think they just used 2x high 4337 two low SM4336 ~ doubling that as one phase

A lot of doubling happening, but you have to ~ if you want to spread any kind of loads on this bad setups and cheap out
(by picking a VRM with not that many phases)
At least B450 MSI lineup tried to compensate the bad quality by chaining 12 of the 4CxxN's together :p
Here take a look https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuUWroxA0HvSSipsXlB8hnYkshxD8LdeO5EA6WLdOQw/edit#gid=0
Only good B550 boards that exist are ones with Renesas Powerstages and Infineon / TDA ones
The rest is bad, soo about 4 boards on a list of 32~35. Funny :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
You have a Gen 4.0 PCI Express cpu which it takes 3 keys to unlock it cpu/mobo/gpu as why you want B550 chipset as it would further proof the system as you could use AMD or the new Nvidia video cards in PCI Express 4.0

Also it will take Zen 3 cpu and up to 4400Mhz memory speed so spend well on the board as I have a Ryzen 3 3100 in default on the MSI B550m Mortar in PCI Express 4.0 with a single fan VisionTek RX 5500 XT 8Gb here ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts