Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all, i have a intel d915pbl motherboard, it says that i can only use 1.8v memory in it and 533mhz max? would i be able to use 1.9 or 2.0v ram or ddr2-667 but i guess running at 533?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Most likely, but the voltage requirements of the RAM will be exceeding the maximum capabilities of the board. What this equates to is, at the lower speed, 1.8v should be enough...but the possibility exists that it won't. The real question is: why would you want to spend money on high-end RAM that you can't even take advantage of? The max speed your Intel board supports is DDR2-533, so that is the max speed the RAM will be running, regardless what it's rated for. Just stick with DDR2-533, and save yourself some money (...maybe buy some DDR2-533 with tighter timings).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Most likely, but the voltage requirements of the RAM will be exceeding the maximum capabilities of the board. What this equates to is, at the lower speed, 1.8v should be enough...but the possibility exists that it won't. The real question is: why would you want to spend money on high-end RAM that you can't even take advantage of? The max speed your Intel board supports is DDR2-533, so that is the max speed the RAM will be running, regardless what it's rated for. Just stick with DDR2-533, and save yourself some money (...maybe buy some DDR2-533 with tighter timings).

Well, after 3-4months i wanted to get a new motherboard to overclock the cpu and the new motherboard would handle faster ram like 667mhz so i would have a little speed gain without spending more money. :) but if 1.9v or 2.0v wouldnt work or damage my board i guess ill have to find 1.8v 533mhz

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ein

Well, after 3-4months i wanted to get a new motherboard to overclock the cpu and the new motherboard would handle faster ram like 667mhz so i would have a little speed gain without spending more money. :) but if 1.9v or 2.0v wouldnt work or damage my board i guess ill have to find 1.8v 533mhz

Thinking ahead...that's a good reason.
It won't damage the board, but could potentially be unstable. I would suspect that, at the lower speed, you will be able to run fine with less voltage, but it's not a guarantee. Maybe try e-mailing the manufacturer to find out of lower speed requires less voltage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks, i mailed the company and asked if it could run lower mhz at a lower voltage.
neeyedsm i hope it can

1 - 5 of 5 Posts