Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions on mother boards i really don't know much about mobos and I'm looking to build my first computer so that may be a problem. I want an Intel Pentium 4 and I'm not gonna be using RAID or SATA or anything just plain olld drive so can i get some suggestions please?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Do you know which CPU you're going with? This is your first build-up I take it? Are you aware of the physical hardware differences between s478 Intel processors and LGA775 Intel processors, and do you have a preference either way? What's the system's primary use going to be?

And lastly, are we working within a budget?

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Do you know which CPU you're going with? This is your first build-up I take it? Are you aware of the physical hardware differences between s478 Intel processors and LGA775 Intel processors, and do you have a preference either way? What's the system's primary use going to be?

And lastly, are we working within a budget?

Well as I said I dont know much about motherboards and i kinda thought the cpu was included with the processor on the mother board but i guess it isnt so i think im gonan go with Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz 400MHz FSB, 128K L2 Cache - OEM and i dont knwo what the differences are at all. The use is going to be just a home computer for me. And yes I'm going to be on a budget basically they cheapest but best quality i can get.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
What's the home computer going to be used for?
If any gaming will be involved, at the very least get a regular P4 (non-celeron). The lack of cache on the celerons really hurts performance in all but the most mundane of tasks (e-mail, word processing, internet). Need to know exactly what the comp will be doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts