Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been handed down an AthlonXP Desktop Model 2000+ Thoroughbred from my brother. I was wondering what motherboard would allow me the most overclocking options, if I have any at all. You all look like the experts on this so I can here to ask. And plan on being a part of this community as well. Thanks ahead of time,

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch0da

I have been handed down an AthlonXP Desktop Model 2000+ Thoroughbred from my brother. I was wondering what motherboard would allow me the most overclocking options, if I have any at all. You all look like the experts on this so I can here to ask. And plan on being a part of this community as well. Thanks ahead of time,

Well I'm using a MSI K7N2 Dlta board and I've had excellent results with it.I know that they may be hard to find but you may find a Delta 2 for sale somewhere.I'd suggest the MSI K7N2 Delta 2,prolly one of the best boards for an XP processor.Itend to stay away from Asus because the bios does not offer a very good OC adjustment that is easy to understand.The MSI is Very user friendly!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The two best Athlon XP OC boards are the: Abit NF7-S and DFI Lan Party. There are some other great boards from Epox, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI. But the DFI and Abit are the best.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

Well I'm using a MSI K7N2 Dlta board and I've had excellent results with it.I know that they may be hard to find but you may find a Delta 2 for sale somewhere.I'd suggest the MSI K7N2 Delta 2,prolly one of the best boards for an XP processor.Itend to stay away from Asus because the bios does not offer a very good OC adjustment that is easy to understand.The MSI is Very user friendly!

I have an MSI board and its the worst board in the world if the fsb goes up more than 2mhz its freezes and the bios has to be reset. Im actually going for a DFI nFII Ultra Infinity as they are one best for oc'ing.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
DFI boards are good, but they do suffer with stability issues

if going DFI get either a DFI NF2 ultra infinity or a DFI lanparty B.

your other options include the albatron KX18D pro2 board, thats a very good board.

and the best NF2 board ive come across for stability to performance ratio, the abit AN7, its a blazing fast board, plenty of features to shake a stick at, and although when you first get it itll be pretty crappy a bios flash to v1.8 sorts that problem out

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic_flo

I have an MSI board and its the worst board in the world if the fsb goes up more than 2mhz its freezes and the bios has to be reset. Im actually going for a DFI nFII Ultra Infinity as they are one best for oc'ing.

You are prolly doin sumthin wrong or its just not that great of an MSI.Mine rocks

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ch0da

Yiffy mentioned the best ones, but you might also want to look into the ABIt AN7 and NF7-S v2.

Or if you're on a budget Shuttle AN35.

All great Socket A overclocking boards.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the input, im looking at the shuttle because i am on a bit of a budget right now. but i am thinking on saving to buy the LANparty or the Infinity. If there are any other suggestions, I'll take em.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is stellar. Perfectly below my price range, and is recommended highly in the NewEgg reviews. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally like the safety features it has built in.

Watch Dog Timer (auto-reset system when it can not handle overclock configurations)
Special design for CPU Over Temperature Protection.( OTP )

For a newbie like me, that is just good for your mind more than anything. I'll be using you guys alot to guide me through this when I need help. I can't wait to get this off the ground. I'm sick of this Celeron I have now. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
remember to flash the boards bios with the latest one available off of albatrons site, dont worry, its not difficult

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have never done that before, but I have been working with computers since I was 10 so. 8 years experience will previal. I've just never had the funds, or system to overclock, and I'm thinking with some help, and my knowledge, I'll do fine. Rep points for sure.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
cool more points
dont worry when it comes to flashing the boards bios its as easy as 1 2 3, you just put the file on a floppy, access the BIOS flash program and if its the automated type like mist manufacturers have now itll do the rest itself

here is a link to the boards latest bios so that way your all set to go when you get the board

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this is the motherboard part of the forums, but I figured with all the help you've given me so far ket, I would ask you another question. I have realized that I currently have some cheap SDRAM in my computer, which I don't think will transfer over to the motherboard you suggested, and I am going to buy. What would be your suggestion for a quality 512 stick of DDR memory. I am on a budget but I know you get what you pay for, so I am willing to fork out some more money for quality, then buy a cheap pile that is going to be a weak part of my new system. Thanks ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts