Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an Asus P6T mobo, in an Antec 1200, with an i7 930, and I am having problems with the system panel connector (power sw, you know, the thing with the power/ground and reset/ground that plugs into the case power/reset wires). If the case sits for a long length of time, it won't power up. I hit the power button and it doesn't do anything. It's been doing this since the first power up after installation. To fix the problem, although temporarily, I have to pull the system panel connector adapter out, replug the reset wire, the power wire and the led wire, and plug the adapter back in. Once I unplug it and refit all the wires, it boots right up.

It doesn't happen in short intervals, however. I can shut the system down, wait a few seconds, and it'll power right back up.

Finally, after I refit all the plugs on the system panel connector I have to change the boot order on my hard drives. Don't know if this is related though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did plug the wires in directly. I forgot to mention that... The problem exists whether I plug them in directly to the motherboard or via the adapter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The resetting of the boot order is strange. The clock resets too (does that mean the bios is resetting?). Once it powers up it's totally stable and I can be on it all day. I don't know where to go from here.

From Asus Forums: bad solder joint on one of the two pins for the "power switch" connector on the m/b - or possibly a bad crimp of a wire in one of the connector socket

Anything else that might be causing this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if anyone cares at this point, but here's the latest from the Asus forums:

If the clock is resetting that means that the bios is not keeping it's settings. That is why you have to reset the drive boot order. To fix this get a new battery for the motherboard as yours is probably bad.

Regarding the starting problem, you could also have "dicey" power-on button contacts on your case. To troubleshoot and eliminate the power button switch and the wiring to the motherboard, I suggest you do the following:-

Remove the power-on connectors from the m/b. Now connect your RESET wiring and connectors to the Power connector and use the reset button on your case to switch the PC on.

If this works properly, then your m/b is okay.

Here is my response:

I'll try connecting the reset/ground to the power switch on the motherboard and see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, however, a dicey power-on contact on the case doesn't explain for the interrelation between the power switch not working and the bios failing to keep its settings. One doesn't happen without the other; whenever I have to refit the plugs, I also have to change the boot order. My understanding, although limited, causes me to think that a bad case contact would have no effect on the motherboard's ability to keep settings.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also don't understand how the battery relates to this problem other than the bios losing its settings. The system has continuous, uninterrupted power from the power supply. Does the battery draw power and save bios settings even when power from the power supply supports the system? That doesn't make sense. Even still, it seems that what's being suggested is that the battery is unconnected to the power switch issue, which appears improbable since the problems interrelate consistently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts