Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to upgrade my mobo into either a EP45-UD3P or EP45-DS3R. I dunno which is better but I'm thinking of the UD3P. Here's my question, is it worth to upgrade and invest on a 775 mobo or just save more money and grab i7 rig?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Well, your E8400 is still a pretty good processor, if your planning on doing video encoding or heavy tasking a i7 will be a good investment. If your doing general use like internet browsing or gaming your E8400 is sufficient enough. And yes, a P45 board is a good idea, I had one and it was great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i would wait for i5/i7

sure the ud3p will push your e8400 to 4.0 or more but you would need a better cooler and besides its still a dual core

i dont think it makes sense to dump cash into a 775 platform right now

if you are itching to upgrade consider a 5850 or better graphics card or a good SSD

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
I would grab a UD3, they are great OC'rs and you should be able to get to 4.0 or better with that E8400...

If you have plans and a time frame in which you could afford i5/i7 upgrade then that wuld change my opinion..

Say within the next 4-6 months you could do it, then wait. If its going to take longer than 6 months, just grab a UD3, probly can find one in the F/S section here for under 100 bucks...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
planning to upgrade to 1366 and i7 when I get enough cash and when my current rig become sluggish enough to play newer future games.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but saving more for an i7 rig would be more cost effective than having some pit stops with socket 775 boards.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm... guess i'll be saving for an i7 then.. but i have one last question, whats the big difference of the EP45-DS3R and the UD3P? aside from the SB and NB heatsinks?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't how upgrading your motherboard will do you much good. Definitely better off just saving for a new platform. Stick with what you have, will serve you at least another year maybe even more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts