Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question. My intel motherboard has 2 ports for ethernet cables...why? In case one breaks? Or does having 2 cables connected to a single computer have any advantages?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
I have a general question. My intel motherboard has 2 ports for ethernet cables...why? In case one breaks? Or does having 2 cables connected to a single computer have any advantages?
It's for things like teaming.

Now you ask, What is NIC (network interface card) teaming?

Quote:
NIC teaming is the process of grouping together several physical NICs into one single logical NIC, which can be used for network fault tolerance and transmit load balance. The process of grouping NICs is called teaming. Teaming has two purposes:
Fault Tolerance: By teaming more than one physical NIC to a logical NIC, high availability is maximized. Even if one NIC fails, the network connection does not cease and continues to operate on other NICs.
Load Balancing: Balancing the network traffic load on a server can enhance the functionality of the server and the network. Load balancing within network interconnect controller (NIC) teams enables distributing traffic amongst the members of a NIC team so that traffic is routed among all available paths.
In short, on a high load network it can be beneficial. Or if you just want to have the fault tolerance. But for a desktop that isn't really needed.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
It's for things like teaming.
In short, on a high load network it can be beneficial. Or if you just want to have the fault tolerance. But for a desktop that isn't really needed.
Well that sucks...Ok, any suggestions for how to get an awesome internet connection? Is it as simple as buying a better router? Or paying more per month?

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Quote:

Well that sucks...Ok, any suggestions for how to get an awesome internet connection? Is it as simple as buying a better router? Or paying more per month?
Probably getting either a better provider, or a better plan.
A router would be beneficial if yours is crapping out... or if it's really old.
Just get a better plan, much more beneficial

• Rep+
Reactions: TheWolfe

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post
Probably getting either a better provider, or a better plan.
A router would be beneficial if yours is crapping out... or if it's really old.
Just get a better plan, much more beneficial
Sucks to be 17 and have no say in that sort of thing. Although whichever college I go to should have a great setup =D

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
You can use your second LAN port to hook into another computer to lan without a Router, Me and my friends do it all the time.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3 View Post
You can use your second LAN port to hook into another computer to lan without a Router, Me and my friends do it all the time.
I'm confused. What do you mean? I have one router, and 2 computers. Mine and my dads. We're both hooked up to the same router with the same internet service/provider.

You suggest I get a second Ethernet cable and connect to my dad's computer, or something?

What does that do?

·
Banned
2,220 Posts
Quote:

I'm confused. What do you mean? I have one router, and 2 computers. Mine and my dads. We're both hooked up to the same router with the same internet service/provider.

You suggest I get a second Ethernet cable and connect to my dad's computer, or something?

What does that do?
If you and your dad want to LAN, you could just connect an ethernet cable from your ethernet port to his.

That way you don't need any switches or routers to LAN.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBenchmarks View Post
If you and your dad want to LAN, you could just connect an ethernet cable from your ethernet port to his.

That way you don't need any switches or routers to LAN.
I don't really need to LAN, seeing as how I have my own computer and don't intend on playing my dad on TF2 any time soon. I'm really just looking for ways to get a better/faster internet connection...unless you're saying that's what this would do?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:

I don't really need to LAN, seeing as how I have my own computer and don't intend on playing my dad on TF2 any time soon. I'm really just looking for ways to get a better/faster internet connection...unless you're saying that's what this would do?
No, he's just saying that if you ever went to a LAN party, you could just hook someone up through your computer.

·
Registered
787 Posts
im 17 and I run everything computer based in my house o_O

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
^^Congratz?

As for internet, even FIOS wont max out 1 port since your NICs are probably Gb. Its handy for big file transfers. Most of my mobos have had 2 but I never had a need for one, 1 Gb port gives good speed. Now with a mATX mobo and 1 NIC I dont see a downside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts