Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Msi P7N-Sli Platnum motherboard (not my choice but mfu. relacement.) Also got a new core2 E7500 Wolfdale 2.93ghz/65w processor. OGZ 2x2gbz pc2 8500 memory and PNY Geforce 9800 GTX+ GPU. WANT TO KNOW THE BASE FOR Overclocking my cpu and if this mobo is capable of doing it or if I need to get a Gigabite board? Also I plan to run dual or triple sli. A killer gigabite board that would do that would be awsome!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
the MSI board should still be fairly good for overclocking, although not as good as boards based on the newer intel chipsets (ie P45)
Yep, that board should do it. My old MSI board let me O.C. all day, but for whatever reason the CMOS battery connection was bad and I would lose all my settings every time I shut it off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
the MSI board should still be fairly good for overclocking, although not as good as boards based on the newer intel chipsets (ie P45)
Can you give me some info on the better boards? (ie P45)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMan47 View Post
Yep, that board should do it. My old MSI board let me O.C. all day, but for whatever reason the CMOS battery connection was bad and I would lose all my settings every time I shut it off.
Thanks appreciate the insight. Thanks and reps added.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Quote:

off-topic, but did you check to see that the battery wasn't defective/dead?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNERROR
View Post

off-topic, but did you check to see that the battery wasn't defective/dead?

Many many many many many many times. The only way I could get it to boot was to use a wood stick to hold the battery holder "just so". If I didn't do that, contant CMOS induced reboot loop.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:

I also had a MSI X58 board that did the same thing. No matter what I did the settings would reset and wouldn't boot saying that the CMOS clock was wrong so I had to fix that every time I turned on the computer. It's good knowing that someone else had the same problem that I did with a MSI board and it wasn't just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts