Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not the biggest fan of driod.. but, I must admit I'm interested in a backflip.

I am wondering I paid out right for the phone.. stuck my sim chip in there..

Could I configure motoblur to only work via a wifi network so it would not charge me out the ass for data?

Any help would be appreciated.. Especially since its free some places XD. I must admit.. the quirky style is for some reason appealing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
working for att...i know...

every smartphone device requires the $30 data plan now, be it iphone, blackberry, WM, symbian, or android...

i got my backflip Tuesday...it isn't as snappy (responsive and fast) as a lot of the other android phones with other carriers...

The MotoBlur account is required signup upon powering on the device the 1st time... It is pretty neat if you use social networking sites, when you add the account it sync's your freinds list with phones address book...and displays status on caller id, as well as a activity history in the address book..

so if you aren't one of those people with 400 facebook freinds it is cool..

Battery under moderate to heavy usage won't last you from wake up to bed time.. just like a lot of phones, cept my wife and her 4 day blackberry...

Anything that the phone didn't do out of the box, I have been able to find stable free app's to do, like Bluetooth beaming...

The built in social networking is way better than the android app's for those sites, which are unbearable even for light usage...

Camera takes very nice pictures and geotag's them...

Unlike iphone's "mobileme" Motoblur can GPS locate and remote wipe the device for free...and also backs up your contacts to the site...

Due to the tad smaller screen than a iphone/ipod touch the onscreen qwerty is kinda hard to use one handed (in portrait) if you have large hands..

Overall I can deal with a little lag from my phone and am used to crappy battery on smartphones anyway...I am very happy with the device..and how well it integrates everything together, what it does, it does well..

But yeah....ATT does a system sweep randomly monthly (due to iphone scammers not wanting data) and detects all smartphones and txt's you telling you ATT just put the correct data plan on device..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then please explain my e71x which still doesn't have a data plan. I bought it before it was required and it still has not been added.

Not only that but, I put my sim card in another phone 2 months ago. It still shows up as e71x. I even had them check the imei and mine still hasn't shown up as my new phone. It was like that long after it was mandatory to have a plan.

And fyi, I happen to sell cell phones. The rules (except for iphone) states that you are required to get the data plan in order to get the phone.

However, You can still pay full price for it and no data is required then. The system will not "sweep" and "force" me to get anything. I don't work for at&t but, I do know how things work.

Now the question you didn't answer.. and at this point with the misinformation you have given me I don't now if I will trust.. Is can the phone be set to only access information over wifi and not over the 3g network.

*Edit* this may seal my decision to save up for how ever long it takes and get an n900...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason is since you have a active smartphone before the requirement, you have a smart phone exclusion SOC listed on your account...if you update your imei with us...in our billing system...to another smartphone it will remove that code...which my dept...customer care is unable to put back on..

here is a quote from the data terms of service linked above...believe I deal with pissed off customer everytime that sweep happens, because having a phone that requires it is agreeing to have the data plan..

Quote:
Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.
If you don't believe me, you can call 611, or goto a COR store and ask...i would prefer you call 611...most stores don't know wth they are doing...

I have provided you with no mis-information, at all, but feel free to believe whatever you want...

Related to the question about shutting off GPRS data...I do not see a setting by default installed on the device to do that...the wireless controls only related to wi-fi, bluetooth, and data while roaming... It does not mean there isn't a program in the android marketplace for that...

Since you believe I have provided you with mis-information I decided not to search because you probably wouldn't believe me...

ATT does do sweep, if it wouldn't risk me getting fired I would PM you the actual internal article related to it.. This is why they recommend quick messaging devices..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we can at least agree that most store level employee's have no idea what they are doing.

As to "adding another smartphone" i have no doubt that if I were to go in and upgrade to another e71x they would force me to get a dataplan.

As to the random sweeps, it still does not account for why my phone is still marked as e71x although It has not been for some time.

Don't bother showing me the article, whether or not it exist it is not worth your job.

However, I assure you I know a surplus of people with smart phones who do not have data packages.

Do not confuse "iphone" with "smartphone" sure it may be the most popular.. but, it is not the only one. And believe me apple has more control over it than anyone. (Let me take a second to profess my hatred for steve jobes).

I have no problem believing at&t does sweeps/the iphone has something that automatically updates the imei. However, I do no and refuse to believe all smart phones are "swept" for.

As to selecting data source. In the e71x I owned I could select my provider when I wanted to connect internet. I had it set to always allow me to select how I connected. By at&t's "rape" service or by my schools free wifi. Since I did not and refuse to get a plan, I always picked "wifi".

All I can say is with as many people as I know that own Jack's, Blackberries, and other smartphones, I find little credibility in there being a "sweep" of anything besides Iphone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you're still using your old sim card in a new phone, I don't see why it would recognize that you have another smartphone, and thus charge you the data plan. If what sidcypher is saying is true (which I'm assuming it is, since he says that he works for at&t), and your account has a note that says you bought the e71 before the data plan requirement, and your original sim card is still linked to your e71, why would any sweeps show any flags on your account? Unless sim cards can detect what phone they're plugged into...

Also, you can believe what you want, but this guy's just trying to help you. And going outright and just saying he's providing you with "misinformation" is rather disrespectful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
man...i was looking on the android market for awhile last night at a bunch of stuff...

can't find anything that restricts your data...

As far as the sweep's, it is nothing more complicated than a suspend sweep for not paying your bill.....

Your phone, EVERY phone, reports the IMEI and SIM numbers everytime you place a call...and we use one system for notes..when we ask account name and blah blah...that one detects your phone based on the imei of last call...then our other system the billing system is whatever was last updated....

there are some override cases...like you get a new sim, will remove the exclusion....insurance replacement, warranty replacement things like that...

See we look at your call list...double click the number dialed and it tells us the IMEI...pretty cool...and stalkerish at the same time..

I am not arguing with you about this, I am just letting you know what I know.. mainly cause I think it is really cool how easy some of this stuff it...

Your e71 was purchased before the requirement and therefore grandfathered in, if your IMEI is updated in our billing system to anything other than that phone, it will remove your smartphone exclusion, and you will receive a txt msg.. Much like these guys...

I do know a ton of people with smartphones and no data plan, and talked to a lot of them pissed off everyday due to insurance replacements.. Especially because recently it has been way more popular to have a blackberry for txt msging, instead of just business use..if you notice there are a lot of "quick messaging" devices out that look like blackberrys...i.e. the Samsung Magnet..

It isn't something on the iphone that automatically updates...it is our system..much like t-mobile with sim cards..we have to keep track of device's..unlike verizon that they have to activate your phone due to no sim.

Now if you unlock your device..like for international travel...using another carriers sim card...it reports the imei still...but our system shows it as unknown device...

anyway...i find this all interesting...BTW the Nexus one released yesterday compatible with ATT 3g.... I do love the backflip...but the Nexus one is faster than anything out there...no contract $529 tho....I would miss the REAL keyboard..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grizz View Post
If you're still using your old sim card in a new phone, I don't see why it would recognize that you have another smartphone, and thus charge you the data plan. If what sidcypher is saying is true (which I'm assuming it is, since he says that he works for at&t), and your account has a note that says you bought the e71 before the data plan requirement, and your original sim card is still linked to your e71, why would any sweeps show any flags on your account? Unless sim cards can detect what phone they're plugged into...

Also, you can believe what you want, but this guy's just trying to help you. And going outright and just saying he's providing you with "misinformation" is rather disrespectful.
I'm going to be blunt, I'm a comp sci major, I work at a place with access which sells at&t phones so it naturally has all be it modified, the at&t system. yes it is possible for at&t to "mark" certain phones which were bought before the data plan. But, the sim card has nothing to do with it. A 3g sim card is a 3g sim card. I work upgrading people's phone's all the time. Unless the imei is manually updated, the system does not update it. (there could be an exception for the iphone never tried it).

If he is telling the truth then the point *OF* the sweep *IS* to flag my account. Sure its not a "smartphone" but, if they are scanning phones one way or another why not go ahead and update incorrect information?

And I'm sorry but, to claim there are "random sweeps" to check and see if people are using iphones, is not the same as the person being sent a text message if the imei is manually updated in the system and the person recieves a text later. I am not trying to accuse people of flat out lying to me however, telling me something works a certain way, when I have seen every thing pointing out the exact opposite.

@Sid

Yes I've noticed the plethora of "feature phones" I was lucky enough that my friend gave me an impression recently when my e71x got washed. I miss the phone and I wish there was a way to get another. I'm not due for an upgrade seeing as it was just last july when I got it though. No way I'm shelling out 500$ for an unlocked phone (wish I could afford one though).

Oh well if the backflip won't allow me to select and ensure I'm using wifi and not 3g then its not the phone for me. God I wish at&t had a family data plan for smartphones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I am kinda new to androids. I bought a backflip off ebay in Nov. Replaced my old Treo 680. I had already opted out of data and when I put my SIM in the backflip, it worked fine, and it will do everything on WiFi. I logged into my AT&T wireless account and it showed my phone as a Backflip (it never did detect that I had a Treo). It still showed that there is no data plan on my account. The phone talks great, way better than my Treo. I have already rooted it with Z4Root, did a full back up with Titanium backup, and 'froze' all of the AT&T bloatware apps, including the marketupdate file that constantly looks for updates. I want to flash the ROM with the custom Eclair 2.1 that has tethering, multi-touch and no AT&T bloatware, mainly because it also has a great overclock kernel written for it. But I haven't gotten up the courage to do it yet. Does anyone know of an overclock app that will work with the official Moto/AT&T 2.1 Android OS? Thanks from a Noobie. Harrel

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I work for at&t.

Stay away from the backflip and yes if you pop a sim card into a new data phone it will add data too it. Not immediately but eventually.

If its a phone thats not carried by at&t then theres a chance it will not add data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Antoine! No, I just checked, and I still don't have a data plan on my ebay backflip, and yes, I like the phone, esp for $135, no contract! Effin AT&T. I hate em. They killed the feeds to my Home Manager cordless phone system. No more YP.com, movies or weather feeds.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
how long has your sim card been in it?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You should get a T-Mobile pay as you go plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman546;11818447
how long has your sim card been in it?
Hey, sorry I didn't see your question!
I have had my SIM card in it since I bought it last November on ebay for $135. I updated it to Android 2.1, then rooted it, then installed Titanium Backup. Then I 'froze' 34 AT&T pre-installed apps including Motoblur and the phone is so much faster. I also downloaded APNoid to turn off 3G. I do not have a Data plan; I use WiFi instead. Then I exported all of my Outlook and Facebook contacts to Gmail and the phone sync'd them all. I also downloaded TaskKiller and CacheCleaner to clear the clutter after a lot of use to keep it speedy. It is great as a phone and a PDA. The battery lasts two days for me with occasional use. The 2.1 Eclair update gave it Speech to Text, so I can send text messages without typing,(in a quiet environment). It works very well. But my favorite thing about it is the fact that when you flip the phone open, the camera switches sides. Open it halfway, and you can hold it overhead and take pictures above the crowd and still see what you are getting. Or hold it upside down and near the ground and take street level shots. My friends would see images that I posted and ask if I laid down in the street just to take the picture. I also love the clock mode that stays on at night when its charging. If you love sharing YouTube vids, open it in tabletop mode (like clock mode) and you can play YouTube videos to amuse everyone without holding the phone. This phone is great! Its not for power users who want to play graphic-intense video games, but its great for the casual user. I am going to buy another one to practice loading custom ROMs on. I already downloaded the developers kit and Android desktop software to maybe write my own ROM. By one on ebay and kiss those contracts goodbye! Here is my frozen list (so far):
adservice
allsport gps
at&t maps
at&t navigator
at&t radio
at&t wifi hotspots
bluetooth share
blur.res.2.1-update1
calculator 2.1-update
email 2.1-update1
google partner setup
google talk setup