Shape is similar to the M4.
Polling Rate: 1000Hz / 1ms
MCU: Cortex M0
50M Omron switches
67 g holey
"Mountain Lifeline cable - "The last stop before wireless""
100% PTFE feet
Base Camp software for ultimate customization
Pricing: EUR 59.99 / USD 59.99, date: October 2020 (tentative).
(Company is based in Germany, might be known from a successful Kickstarter project)

Sensor data:
PixArt PMW3370 sensor
19000 DPI
1-2 mm lift-off-distance
"0.5% error rate" (3360/3389: 1% resolution error, 3399: 0.4%? (as it states 99.6% resolution accuracy)) - before we start the hype train, this might refer to CPI deviation.
400 IPS
Tracking Speed: 50g
(according to TPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/270636/mountain-launches-makalu-67-gaming-mouse-with-pixart-pmw3370-sensor-19-000-dpi, this is the new flagship of PixArt and the successor to the 3389)

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
1.5mA power draw, power saving reaching new levels of "unusable mouse"
Does anyone know what happens of a USB port has insufficient wattage to power a mouse? Non-function? Skipped frames?

On a related weird note, I've been paying attention to the Device Manager report of the power requirements of my various USB devices and mice. It seems like every one of my mice has a power draw of 100mA, with the exception of my Glorious Model O-, which has a reported power draw of 480mA. Strange.

·
mfw
8,634 Posts
>with cable
>power saving

Cool.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I think we already hit peak mouse sensor. Every single 3389 I've tried from the Sensei Ten to XM1 feels a bit more sluggish than the 3360 in mice like Sensei 310 or Model O-. I think each iteration of higher DPI for marketing purposes above the 3360 is somehow bogging down these sensors again like how they did going from 3500 DPI A3090 to 4000 DPI A3090, and A9500 (fast laser) to A9800 (swamp laser).

Yea, yea, they claim no frames of something or 2 frames of smoothing or whatever, but it doesn't explain why all these newer 3389 feel a bit more sluggish than older 3360's. That feeling could be caused by having a much higher framerate during slow movements, but I don't think the framerate difference in slow movements is that different between 3360 and 3389.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think we already hit peak mouse sensor. Every single 3389 I've tried from the Sensei Ten to XM1 feels a bit more sluggish than the 3360 in mice like Sensei 310 or Model O-. I think each iteration of higher DPI for marketing purposes above the 3360 is somehow bogging down these sensors again like how they did going from 3500 DPI A3090 to 4000 DPI A3090, and A9500 (fast laser) to A9800 (swamp laser).

Yea, yea, they claim no frames of something or 2 frames of smoothing or whatever, but it doesn't explain why all these newer 3389 feel a bit more sluggish than older 3360's. That feeling could be caused by having a much higher framerate during slow movements, but I don't think the framerate difference in slow movements is that different between 3360 and 3389.
I "feel" the same , but maybe the 3370 is good ... will try to get one for free ... ( they're near to me )
Edit:
btw it's overall bigger as the Xtrfy M4 ( longer , wider , more height ) , but really similar shape ... but the front on this is lower ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
but maybe the 3370 is good
I hope so, but i dont think it will be.

i) 1.5ma power draw makes me think its designed for wireless with 1000 layers of power savings.

ii) Who the heck is Mountain? How did some no name company get to be the first one to PixArt's supposed flagship sensor? Are they just doing a test run to see just how much power saving will go unnoticed by plebs on w10 + 420 layers of power saving in their bios and OS?

·
Registered
647 Posts
power saving is the last feature that I want from peripherals. shall it increase the battery life of a "gaming" laptop by 0.5% for a 2% population of people who use those abominations?
thanks for solving the problem that no one had, I guess.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Again, another new specification error rate ?? Who the hell notices error rates or so using a 33xx mice? How can new sensors make a difference, if True move 3 performance is same for me as 3360, i doubt human can spot difference anymore. Other than that mouse shape is perfect, weight is nice, could be even 100g, wouldn't mind, let's wait and see reviews..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the power draw could make it a good wireless sensor ...
but in this case the mouse uses a cable ...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Checked like 5 different products on their website. Seems like everything is on pre-order, like the whole company just popped up outta thin air.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I highly doubt a lower power draw means thousands of power saving features, maybe they optimized the chip here and there to have a lower consumption, like with Logitech's Hero sensor. I highly prefer a heavy and rubber cable that makes my mouse feel slower than having no cable or a shoelace cable, but maybe more wireless mice will now come out.
Having a lower power draw means there's space for other things people are obsessed over, like the probability of companies now truly implementing higher polling rates than 1000hz, non-variable framerates, dunno.

Isn't this a good thing? Even if someone somehow could tell a difference between this and any other sensor (which they won't), it doesn't matter because there's a ton of mice with different sensors to choose from.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I highly doubt a lower power draw means thousands of power saving features, maybe they optimized the chip here and there to have a lower consumption, like with Logitech's Hero sensor. I highly prefer a heavy and rubber cable that makes my mouse feel slower than having no cable or a shoelace cable, but maybe more wireless mice will now come out.
Having a lower power draw means there's space for other things people are obsessed over, like the probability of companies now truly implementing higher polling rates than 1000hz, non-variable framerates, dunno.

Isn't this a good thing? Even if someone somehow could tell a difference between this and any other sensor (which they won't), it doesn't matter because there's a ton of mice with different sensors to choose from.
power was never stopping 2 of the companies that produce sensors to implement higher polling rate and non-variable framerate.
much more efficient hero sensor didn't help to introduce a single new feature, or improve old feature. and energy efficiency was partially a result of very wide and granular dynamic framerate range (which is not beneficial for gaming). it only help logitech to not pay royalties to avago/pixart

1 - 18 of 18 Posts