Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has an old comp(amd athlon xp 1800+...) and i would like to know if we would ge t better temps by just mounting his whole comp on a piece of wood instead of a case...all the extreme overclock(toms hardware guide then intel at 5.2 etc.) i see are done on a piece of wood and not in a case... would this be an advantage... some pros and cons?

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles
if he keeps itclean etc. but crap dude. sounds like a hazard to the comp to keep it like that.
just be careful i suppose, and dont forget to still use fans

the only thing i need some advice on is... hoe the hell im i gonna turn it on(no power button)???? but would it give me better temps...

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox
you can also get the work rack things, wich would be a little bit better. yea, wood would be good but just be careful with it, keep it clean and still blow air off it and it will offer lower temps.
but wat do i do about the power button? how will i turn it on?

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o, ok.... what ram would u sugghest for my system(a64) for overclocking and all around good performance... about a gig and for around 200-250.. also it would be better if it was just 1 slot of 1 gb instead of 2X512 but wtv

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by illusion34
o, ok.... what ram would u sugghest for my system(a64) for overclocking and all around good performance... about a gig and for around 200-250.. also it would be better if it was just 1 slot of 1 gb instead of 2X512 but wtv
its better to go 2x512 i recomend ocz platnum or gold vx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:

Umm, you could jumper the two pins everytime.

What do you mean, you dont have a light switch??

Simple electricity here.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Quote:

To be really cool, get a big toggle switch from autozone or radio shack or something. Something that just screams 1960's nasa technology!

·
Registered
94 Posts
do what i did until i got my case....screwdriver! look up in your manual which are the power jumpers and short them (use a jumper if you want and be all special) but just short it till it turns on then take the jumper off

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by edicius
do what i did until i got my case....screwdriver! look up in your manual which are the power jumpers and short them (use a jumper if you want and be all special) but just short it till it turns on then take the jumper off
Werd
That's exactly what they do at Fry's in the return line to test your board.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Do what Im doing... Build your own case.

I have not updated the thread yet because Im waiting on a few bits to arrive.
Poject Wooden Case
Design process is complete I have all my measurements down... Just left with getting the MDF the few bits of metal for the HDD cage DVD cage and the PCI/AGP slots.

Anyways back on topic... Mounting the PC just on a bit of wood has its benefits and downfalls... Your have better airflow because its not restricted by a case but your openeing up your PC to much more dust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.