Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to mount a hard drive label side down? I have a WD 1TB Green drive and was wondering if it was okay to mount it in my case upside down? +rep for help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Yes you can because some time ago I did just that and there was no ill effects...go for it.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
It's absolutely fine, I have done so for extended periods of time with no ill effects. Any direction you want to mount it (even on 1 corner) will be fine as long as it is supported properly

• Rep+
Reactions: special1zed

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb View Post
Yeah, it'll be OK. Can I ask why you need to mount it upside down?
screwing it down to the top of the chassis perhaps?
also I've got an external enclosure that's got it upside down as well.

in any case, you're fine. I've had my external HD mounted belly up for the past year thereabouts.

• Rep+
Reactions: special1zed

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
There is no such thing as "right side up" for a hard drive, therefore they don't know if they are upside down or not!

Think about desktops vs. towers, servers in racks, etc. Modern drives can be mounted in any orientation (but this was not always the case!)
..a

·
Registered
91 Posts
Theres no problem with mounting it upside down had an old case that had an extra rack for hdds that once you mounted the hdds and inserted the cage had all 4 hdds facing straight up. Way its mounted doesnt matter just as long as its secure and not just swing from the molex

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have mine mounted on their edge on the bottom of my case with a 1" gap between them to keep them cool. I have a 120mm intake 1" in front of them and I have never seen them more than 2* above ambient.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I asked this same question here almost a year ago...everybody said its fine..nothing wrong...etc..etc...
but it killd my drive ... don't do it..

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
This made me thinking. I suppose there's some hard drives in the ISS and spacecrafts, probably SSDs now though. But in "the old days" (which is before SSDs
), they must have used a hard drive. If a hard drive works in outer space, I suppose it'll be able to run upside down.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonxwas
View Post

I asked this same question here almost a year ago...everybody said its fine..nothing wrong...etc..etc...
but it killd my drive ... don't do it..

Being upside down did not kill your disk - something else did, or it just failed.

Gravity is insignificant compared to all the other forces acting in an operating HDD. Any direction is fine - just make sure it is securely mounted and not subjected to any shocks while running.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
just think of it like this, do you know which way is up on a external hdd when you sit it down?? not on the element drives you dont. So yes its perfectly ok

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I remember Syrillian talked to WD about mounting them at odd angles for his Silentium build. They said it didn't matter as long as the HDs were not being moved around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts