3,801 Posts
Its fine aslong as you don't move it when its in
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12;14211014
It is fine but you will have to mount it upside down again if you ever move it.
Why? mounted hdds upside down before then put them the right way up and sometimes on their side no problems as long as it done when turned off
wth.gif

·
Senior Overclocker
5,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D311;14211134
Hope he did make it up heh. These were rightside up now upside down
He did.
Its OK to mount it however you want as long as you do it when its shut off.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
thats why they die faster than desktop hdd..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
He didn't make it up. Older hard drives could only be mounted in one orientation due to the read/write head changing position slightly when moved. Luckily this will not be an issue with modern drives.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanbob1234
View Post

Why? mounted hdds upside down before then put them the right way up and sometimes on their side no problems as long as it done when turned off

Quote:

Originally Posted by sintricate
View Post

Did you just make that up?

No I read it at this place at some point. Must have been a million years ago.

http://www.adaptec.com/blog/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willhemmens
View Post

He didn't make it up. Older hard drives could only be mounted in one orientation due to the read/write head changing position slightly when moved. Luckily this will not be an issue with modern drives.

Thanks. I didn't know that what I said was dated.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killabytes
View Post

How does it being on or off matter?

I move my laptop all day long...it has a hard drive!

Oh noes!

Most laptop HDD's feature acceleration detection and will prevent the heads from moving if it detects a lot of movement/jostling around. Most desktop HDD's DON'T have that feature.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhemmens;14211206
100% of my WD drives mounted upside down have died. (3/3)

When mounted upside down they made some odd clicking noises at first, then were fine for 3-9 months, then died over the next ~3 months.

I read an article that said that pressure on the top of WD drives affects their reliability? Of course, that same article also praised Hitachi for their low failure rates.

In my experience mounting them regular or on their side is fine. I wouldn't mount the Raptor upside down. It might last years, but Raptors are supposed to last decades.
wink.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.