Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be in the air cooling section or if it's fine in the watercooling section. But, I bought a 5-pack of Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans, and had intended on using them for my MCR320 rad mounted at the top of my 800D. But now I'm reading that sleeved bearing fans shouldn't be mounted horizontally. Did I mess up or will they be fine.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
My yate loons make a weird noise when laid horizontally, they will burn out over a period of a few weeks to months. Get double ball bearing fans if you want to lay them horizontal, or some Gentle Typhoons or other fan with the FBD bearing, or whatever you call it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have mine mounted horizontally and dont have any problems with them. they have been this way for a couple months and the previous owner had them laid out in the same fashion on the radiator. eventually they will start to go bad but not right away. one thing i did to mine was put a drop of lubricating oil on the fan pin when it started to make noise and it stopped....I did this to one fan because it didnt spin as freely as the others did

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not what I wanted to hear, but is what I expected to hear.

I already bought the fans and they should be arriving any minute now. Apparently I'll be spending my next day off rebuilding my loop...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tank
View Post

I have mine mounted horizontally and dont have any problems with them. they have been this way for a couple months and the previous owner had them laid out in the same fashion on the radiator. eventually they will start to go bad but not right away. one thing i did to mine was put a drop of lubricating oil on the fan pin when it started to make noise and it stopped....I did this to one fan because it didnt spin as freely as the others did

Hmm, good idea. It seems that the issue is with the lubricating oil leaking out and the fan slowly dieing. Maybe a drop or two of oil every now and then should suffice? Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have a problem with running any sleeved bearing fans horz, but I always set them up so the hubs point down or pulling air out of the case. I've been running 3 YL's like that in my main rig for over a year, and they are still smooth as silk. But I have had sleeved fans make noise while running with the hubs pointing up, but I've never had one go bad on me.

That being said, I've never had a YL or Zalman ZM-F3 fan go out on me regardless of how they're orientated, and I've had several of each in continuous service for years. Based on my direct experience, the necessity to run a bearing based fan is highly over rated, and I've never found a bearing based fan run as quiet as a sleeved based fan as far as mechanical noise is concerned. But that's a highly subjective thing when it comes to noise, so let your own ears be the judge.

andyc

·
Banned
284 Posts
I have D12SH-12 Yates mounted horizontally and I dont have any issues with them. My even cheaper Masscool ones whine though and they are only about 5 months old.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have them mounted horizontally and blowing air up and out of the case. So here's to hoping I didn't do an uh-oh.

Thanks for the replies! Reps all around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatliner
View Post

I will have them mounted horizontally and blowing air up and out of the case. So here's to hoping I didn't do an uh-oh.

Thanks for the replies! Reps all around.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Unless you get a bad batch of fans, which could happen with any fan, you shouldn't have a problem and you've made a smart purchase IMO.

good luck and have a blast,

andyc

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had yate loon lows mounted on my 3x120 rad on the top of my case for over a year now. They are pulling air into the case and have not given me any problems. However recently I noticed that one of the fans makes a slight clicking noise after coming out of hibernation, but the noise goes away after a few minutes of running the fan.

My reasoning now is that Yates are so cheap you could burn through a few sets of them before approaching a gentle typhoon/ sflex price so don't worry about mounting them horizontally.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
My reasoning now is that Yates are so cheap you could burn through a few sets of them before approaching a gentle typhoon/ sflex price so don't worry about mounting them horizontally.
Exactly.
I can burn out tons of cheap fans to equal one nice fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts