Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thinking about this after a discussion regarding mouse products. What happened to that Logitech wedge design back in the ball mouse days? It's grip wasn't overhand or like grasping a glass. It was in between. It was like a handshake, and it kinda made sense as the radius and ulna laid parallel to each other when gripping the mouse rather than twisting over each other.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, like I said I don't recall the mouse. This is more of a design question though. Seems like having the radius and ulna parallel to each other when gripping the mouse reduces stress and makes for a more consistent experience. Was just curious as to why this design disappeared. I don't have pictures, but if you took a grapefruit and quartered it you would be about right as far as the grasp. Mouse itself had a deep thumb indent as well as a tiny thumb rest. I can't believe I don't remember the name of this mouse. I religiously cleaned this thing everyday when I was 14-15 and thought I was an allstar at QW
smile.gif

My point is that an overhand grip doesn't seem as good as this old handshake design logitech had. Seems like there is a market there for someone to be exploiting at the very least instead of IME3.0 and WMO rip-offs.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Either you are refering to the wingman mouse, or the Logitech Mouseman series of mice. Can't tell which...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Guessing it's the Cordless MouseMan Pro.

It is a design that is comfortable for some people but a larger percentage of the population is served by the flatter angle that is currently used in, say, the G700 or Performance MX mice.

·
badger pants
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czerro View Post

Well, like I said I don't recall the mouse. This is more of a design question though. Seems like having the radius and ulna parallel to each other when gripping the mouse reduces stress and makes for a more consistent experience. Was just curious as to why this design disappeared. I don't have pictures, but if you took a grapefruit and quartered it you would be about right as far as the grasp. Mouse itself had a deep thumb indent as well as a tiny thumb rest. I can't believe I don't remember the name of this mouse. I religiously cleaned this thing everyday when I was 14-15 and thought I was an allstar at QW
smile.gif

My point is that an overhand grip doesn't seem as good as this old handshake design logitech had. Seems like there is a market there for someone to be exploiting at the very least instead of IME3.0 and WMO rip-offs.
?

most qwplayers use the g400 today : ]
youre welcome back anytime..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hcGvIIzLL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I believe this is the mouse I am thinking of. Why did that grip design go away? I remember this mouse being one of the best ball mice before IME3.0 came on the scene and obsoleted ball mice. The point is, that this is a grip design that no longer exists. I just thought it was interesting and seems more natural and less stressful than the overhand grips. Less torsion on the elbow and the bones in your forearm are aligned. I like that serial port mouse though
smile.gif
. People mentioning mice from mid-2000 was cute too. That's OLD!

Edit: As someone pointed out, this is a Mouseman, though it seems like there were several variations of this mouse under this moniker from logitech over the years that had different shell designs. I'm 99% sure the picture mouse above is the one I am thinking of as it looks the right shape and color, and I remember those really weird warty rubber grips on the side.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Cellar stories.. ^^

Shape feels almost like a glove, it could be a little bit bigger. Imo more comfortable/controllable than the ie 3.0, due to the higher left edge i guess.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The spiritual successors to that design which Logitech is currently shipping are the Performance MX and the G700. They use incredibly similar geometry, from xyz dimensions to grip curvature and so forth. The reason I suggested Cordless MouseMan Pro was that it was so clearly different from anything else currently on the market.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Or maybe you would like to have your mouse completely vertical

BTW, nowdays some non-ambidexterous mice add some degrees of tilt over their shapes, for example the TTesports Saphira has like 5 degrees of tilt.

·
badger pants
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post

Cellar stories.. ^^

Shape feels almost like a glove, it could be a little bit bigger. Imo more comfortable/controllable than the ie 3.0, due to the higher left edge i guess.
damn, that actually looks really good, modernized design and proper sensor could be a big hit..

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See?! Where is this shell design hiding?! Thanks @ ThunderBringer for the pics, early birthday. Some 'gaming' company could shove whatever random oem crap inside this mouse and have a singular product, though i would like a company with a bit more interest approaching this design. I like the random bs in this thread though. I had a legit question! No one cared to help, but post fail mouse pictures and sarcastic responses. This thing was the pinnacle of mice back in the day before the advent of IME 3.0. It had the same ball-mouse tech as any other ball-mouse but it was the grip-design that made it a winner. I don't get why that grip design still can't be a winner with a modern sensor inside...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts