Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd share my latest mini-mod with you guys.

My girlfriend is left-handed and as such has difficulty using my G9x, especially as she keeps hitting the back button with her ring finger trying to grip it. This happens a lot and gets very frustrating for her while web browsing, which is really all she uses the computer for.

As you know you can have more than one active mouse at any one time, but the problem is that they always have to be the same orientation, ie. both right-handed or both left handed. To solve this I decided to get a basic mouse and mod it to swap the left and right clicks to keep the other side of the keyboard.

I found a used Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical in a nearby Value Village for $1.99, and thought it was a great mouse to use due to its cheapness, simplicity and reliability. After a brief examination of the PCB I also found that all three switches had one shared trace for one contact, so only two wires needed to be swapped and they were both on the same ribbon cable, so it ended up being a piece of cake!

I used an X-acto knife to separate conductors 2 and 5 from the ribbon closest to the right click, de-soldered, and re-soldered with new wires crossed over.

I highly recommend this mouse if anyone else is in the same situation as it is so easy to work with and they last forever (nearly). Anyway, I'll leave you guys with a pic -

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice info
thumb.gif

and thanks for the pic also
biggrin.gif
i was planning to fix the scroll wheel on my wmo
biggrin.gif
and now i know there's no screw on the center
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymath View Post

nice info
thumb.gif

and thanks for the pic also
biggrin.gif
i was planning to fix the scroll wheel on my wmo
biggrin.gif
and now i know there's no screw on the center
biggrin.gif
No screw in the center, but you will have to take all of the feet off. The bottom two have screws and the top two have clips that will break if you do not push them out.

Glad I can help, anyway!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts