Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dude who painted his G303 inspired me to do the same myself. I recently got a cheap, used ZA11 from Amazon and it made me remember how much I despise the coating. I've already sanded it down with 400, 800 and 1200 wet and dry but it still keeps collecting sweat and it looks even worse than it did before. I'm thinking of trying to plastidip the top shell and maybe the buttons but if that isn't a good idea I'm just going to paint it. So, is the plastidip a good idea? Is it possible to peel off if I mess it up somehow? Should I sand it before applying it? Should I use the spray or 'liquid' form of the stuff? So many questions. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to share.

·
Registered
519 Posts
From what I've heard plastidip isn't the best option for the surface you're going to touch a lot, going to warp and create bubbles. Any paint is going to wear off eventually, too. The best way to prepare a surface is to sand it, degrease it and apply a primer.

As an option you could try wrapping it into vinyl, did that to my Sensei and it feels fine. Unsure about the durability yet, though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0uz View Post

The dude who painted his G303 inspired me to do the same myself. I recently got a cheap, used ZA11 from Amazon and it made me remember how much I despise the coating. I've already sanded it down with 400, 800 and 1200 wet and dry but it still keeps collecting sweat and it looks even worse than it did before. I'm thinking of trying to plastidip the top shell and maybe the buttons but if that isn't a good idea I'm just going to paint it. So, is the plastidip a good idea? Is it possible to peel off if I mess it up somehow? Should I sand it before applying it? Should I use the spray or 'liquid' form of the stuff? So many questions. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to share.
For it to stick you need to sand it down.

It's worth it if you like the sort of glossy rubbery grip, cause that's what It'll turn into. If you don't sand it down, it has a high chance of peeling.
Imho it's not an upgrade. In terms of grip, yes. In terms of stick or feeling tacky, no.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Recently finished putting the plastidip on the ZA. A lot of small imperfections around the edges but my god this thing is grippy. Also no more finger marks
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd highly recommend people with dry hands to use this method. Only been using it for browsing but it grips, grips and grips some more.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeSA View Post

isn't Plastidip deleterious / unhealthy if you have contact to the skin?
If my hand falls off, I'll report back
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I did this to one of my 3G Deathadders. I sanded it down and followed the directions but the coating didn't last very long at all. Maybe I just have some scary acidic sweat.

·
Mouse Junkie
1,438 Posts
The ZA's original coating is the best I've ever dealt with I wouldn't ever change it haha.
@corky dorkelson: That vinyl looks cool! Really no sign of wear after 5 years? I might do it with a DA3G or a DB.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

I did this to one of my 3G Deathadders. I sanded it down and followed the directions but the coating didn't last very long at all. Maybe I just have some scary acidic sweat.
I applied 5 coats, leaving each one for 15 mins. Now that I think about it, it actually feels exactly like the rubber used on the G402's thumb groove.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanir1337 View Post

The ZA's original coating is the best I've ever dealt with I wouldn't ever change it haha.
@corky dorkelson: That vinyl looks cool! Really no sign of wear after 5 years? I might do it with a DA3G or a DB.
Yeah, it still looks great. I don't use that mouse a TON anymore, but it has seen some usage almost daily for 5 years. No peeling up at the corners, no fading, heck I haven't even cleaned it. It's really dope. You can get all sort of colors and textures, but I myself love that carbon texture. It's ever so slightly rough, so it grips well and breathes well.
thumb.gif
I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a new texture or appearance.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitov View Post

From what I've heard plastidip isn't the best option for the surface you're going to touch a lot, going to warp and create bubbles. Any paint is going to wear off eventually, too. The best way to prepare a surface is to sand it, degrease it and apply a primer.

As an option you could try wrapping it into vinyl, did that to my Sensei and it feels fine. Unsure about the durability yet, though.
All mouse coatings are going to wear over-time, so that shouldn't deter anyone if they want to paint their mouse. My FK1 got shiny spots from the plastic wearing with just 3 months of use. If you want to paint, just use a paint meant for plastic and top it off with a matte clear coat. If you want to keep it perfect, re-apply the clear coat every year. A sem-glossy or glossy clear coat will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I've seen other people plasti-dip their mouses to good effect. You just want at least 4 thin coats and clean the surface properly. It wears well and is a good texture for a mouse.
For those that aren't familiar with the product, they sell plasti-dip in cans at the hardware store. It isn't hard to use at all.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0uz View Post

I'd highly recommend people with dry hands to use this method. Only been using it for browsing but it grips, grips and grips some more.

How long have you had it for? I did the same experiment and the finger contact points rubbed off in like 2 days. Pointless. They sort of became glossy.

I did 5 different experiments and was like 'ok this time I'll do it really good' and carefully and checked successful guides. Still the same effect, which leads me to believe it's not meant for heavy usage like this.

·
Mouse Junkie
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

Yeah, it still looks great. I don't use that mouse a TON anymore, but it has seen some usage almost daily for 5 years. No peeling up at the corners, no fading, heck I haven't even cleaned it. It's really dope. You can get all sort of colors and textures, but I myself love that carbon texture. It's ever so slightly rough, so it grips well and breathes well.
thumb.gif
I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a new texture or appearance.
Thanks for the answer, I'll might actually do it!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraze View Post

How long have you had it for? I did the same experiment and the finger contact points rubbed off in like 2 days. Pointless. They sort of became glossy.

I did 5 different experiments and was like 'ok this time I'll do it really good' and carefully and checked successful guides. Still the same effect, which leads me to believe it's not meant for heavy usage like this.
Only had it on for a few days

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene-z View Post

All mouse coatings are going to wear over-time, so that shouldn't deter anyone if they want to paint their mouse.
Emphasized that initial properties of paint cover fade quickly - rough texture gets glossy in few months (Razer's DA2013, etc.). Not so much with vinyl or whatever film.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts