Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

In several of the threads I see lots of graphs from various testing applications. Many of which directly contradict others. If possible, would someone give me a compiled list of all the available software to test the sensors capabilities.

Thanks in advance!

·
Gone
8,731 Posts
Enotus tends to displays max counts/speed without giving a true representation of where the sensor stars starts losing perfect tracking.

Outerspace's logger can graph, although it's not going to be exact. Mainly it's the the discrepancy between sensors and different CPI ranges.

Sujoy's hardware testing is based on the max CPI range of a sensor and Steelseries QcK surface. (He never published lower CPI test on mice other than the DA) Test that contradict others are likely using a different surface.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The problem with those programs is that they show data that computer receives from mouse. It means that even sensors with acceleration will show perfect tracking with no accel signs (example is adns-9500).
For accurate results you gonna have to build something like that: http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1265679&page=3
or that:

source: http://wikis.jp/interfacedevice/index.php?MaximumSpeed_en <- With results from this kind of tests, you will also be able to recommend best mouse-mouse pad combination.

We also use programs like Paint for jitter and prediction (this isn't accurate and we don't have any accurate way to measure degree of prediction) and Games for acceleration tests (e.g. quake live because it's free and has raw input).

Max tracking speed changes:
- on different surfaces, (CPI is also surface dependant so it will give not super accurate results in the software as long as we assume it is constant)
- with Lift off distance - usually with lower LOD we get lower tracking speeds, (CPI also might be different when thickness of feet will change)
- with different Firmwares.
- with different lens magnification.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Does anyone have an alternate link for Outerspace's Max IPS logger? That download link is down and I can't find it anywhere. Could someone that has it upload it to zippyshare? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximilianKohler View Post

Does anyone have an alternate link for Outerspace's Max IPS logger? That download link is down and I can't find it anywhere. Could someone that has it upload it to zippyshare? Thanks in advance!
Here

·
Registered
244 Posts
This works for Audition 3, I have no idea about the newer versions.

This is all done on the left toolbar:
1) Click the Edit button
2) Hit the File tab, and pick Import File, choose Vx_Vy_NF.wav
3) Click Edit File
4) Click on the effects tab and pick Amplify/Fade (process)
5) Untick "View all setting in DB" and enter the amplification percentage (instructions for this are in the readme)
6) Right click on the right guide and choose Sample Values
7) Zoom with the mouse wheel until things look right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody have a working link to Outerspace's max ips logger? All my old links are dead and I can't find any new working links.

·
►¿¿¿
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya_ View Post

Does anybody have a working link to Outerspace's max ips logger? All my old links are dead and I can't find any new working links.
4 posts above yours theres a link
wink.gif

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can anyone tell me is my mouse working properly, from what I know left side and the right side of Mouse movement Recorder should be same.
However in my case I am getting big discrepancies so I dont know what to think of it
Can anyone tell me whats going on?
i was experiencing so strange mouse behavior in Windows 8.1, i checked this Pointer thing and i got these results, then I applied Mouse Pointer fix for w8.1 and that behavior seems to be gone (not sure) but these results are still more than crappy and pretty much the same.
Enhance pointer precision is turned off just to let you know.
The mouse is CM Sentinel Advance 2 and its new only a few days old, so I really don't know whether I should RMA it or not....

Mouse recorder movement.png 36k .png file

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Another mouse testing program - Mouse Click Response Speed Testing Software - made by a4tech. english link
Program in use: http://rafaunreal.blogspot.jp/2013/02/114.html

There is something that can be used to measure Mouse lag (not only button lag), and that is fast camera with 1000fps+ recording.
Here is a list with some of them. Older, used models can be found quite cheaply.
Example of Casio Exilim EX-F1 in use: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/6

@Kronin check on different OS, its probably win 8.1 problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSurfer View Post

Enhance pointer precision is turned ON.
Yes in order for that mouse fix to work (MarkC_Windows_8.x+7_MouseFix)Enhance Pointer precision needs to be turned On (thats what the Manual says) but even if I turn it off I get crape results

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronin View Post

Yes in order for that mouse fix to work (MarkC_Windows_8.x+7_MouseFix)Enhance Pointer precision needs to be turned On (thats what the Manual says) but even if I turn it off I get crape results
If you read MarkCs readme carefully you would have noted that he addresses games that switch on the "enhance pointer precision" even though you switched it off in the desktop settings.
So to switch it on only is for verification necessary - and most importantly if you dont play any of those kind of games you dont need the fix.

I highlighted the most important part in bold and underlined for you.

Quote:
WHY DO YOU NEED THE FIX?

If you don't know you need it, then you don't need it!

Some older games, such as Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike 1.x, Quake, Quake
2, Unreal and others, while they are active and running, call a Windows
function intending to disable variable mouse acceleration by forcing ALL
movement to be accelerated by the same amount (doubled).
On Windows 2000 and earlier, that removed all variable acceleration.
Pointing and aiming in those games was OK, because the mouse response
was then linear (all movement was accelerated by the same amount; it was
doubled).

In XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, Microsoft changed how mouse pointer
acceleration worked.
Now when those games call the function (asking that all movement be
accelerated), Windows enables the mouse 'Enhance pointer precision'
feature, which adds mouse acceleration using a varying curve to control
the mouse response. (It enables it even if you have it turned off in the
Control Panel Mouse settings.)

With 'Enhance pointer precision' enabled, slower mouse movements make
the pointer go extra slow and faster mouse movements make the pointer go
extra fast. It is not linear and not straightline.

This is annoying, because where you are aiming at depends on how far you
move your mouse, and also on how fast you moved the mouse to aim.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MouseTester.zip 146k .zip file

I wrote this to be a simple mouse testing software that improves on the existing tools. It has built-in plotting, CSV save and load, and plot export to PNG capability.

It uses an open source (MIT License) plotting library called OxyPlot that can be found here: http://oxyplot.codeplex.com/.

Uses the MS .NET 4 Framework. You will need to have this framework installed to run.

Built-in plotting includes:
raw counts vs time = for detecting limited data paths and skipping counts (e.g. 8-bit reporting that caps at +/- 127)
update time per report = for detecting unstable polling rates (on my system it can do 1 ms reliably, YMMV)
velocity vs time (calculated based on cpi) = for tracking speed type measurements
raw X-Y count plotting = for acceleration, jitter, and angle snapping testing, plots a path based on raw counts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hmm, it crashed for me and I can't even end task for it in the task manager.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximilianKohler View Post

Hmm, it crashed for me and I can't even end task for it in the task manager.
I was paranoid so I didnt run it. Maybe its virus.
Your pc got aids now =D

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microe View Post

MouseTester.zip 146k .zip file

I wrote this to be a simple mouse testing software that improves on the existing tools. It has built-in plotting, CSV save and load, and plot export to PNG capability.

It uses an open source (MIT License) plotting library called OxyPlot that can be found here: http://oxyplot.codeplex.com/.

Uses the MS .NET 4 Framework. You will need to have this framework installed to run.

Built-in plotting includes:
raw counts vs time = for detecting limited data paths and skipping counts (e.g. 8-bit reporting that caps at +/- 127)
update time per report = for detecting unstable polling rates (on my system it can do 1 ms reliably, YMMV)
velocity vs time (calculated based on cpi) = for tracking speed type measurements
raw X-Y count plotting = for acceleration, jitter, and angle snapping testing, plots a path based on raw counts
Make a video of the software...

Source code?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts