Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times before, but I am looking for a new mouse to replace my venerable sharkoon fireglider.

I have been surfing forums on and off for the past few months so my knowlege of mice, sensors etc is pretty good yet every mouse I see seems to have some huge flaws.(Too heavy/sensor probs/Build quality/Shape cough303cough)

I picked up a FK2 before Christmas and it was faulty (super stiff rmb) so I sent it back, replacement was also faulty(dodgy scroll), I then tried a Corsair sabre optical... faulty(Weird lmb).
mad.gif

The fk2's were a bit skinny for me but generely ok shape, Sabre made my hand hurt after an hour or two I think it was too wide.

So I have been looking for something else that could be used for Reflex and other shooters where max tracking speed is important (low sense).

But for all my searching I have not found many possibilities:

-Evga Torq x5 It looks pretty good, but for whatever reason all retailers in uk are out of stock.

-Mionix Castor Also looks good though its a bit heavier than the x5

-EC1-A Weighs the same as Castor

I'm using an Artisan Hien, though I think all 3310's should work on that, not sure about 3988 on x5?

But the thing I would really like some feedback on is the zowie stuff, after my short lived experience with them and reading other people's problems with their QC im not sure whether to go for another. I don't like the huanos much but I probs would get used to them.

So was I just unlucky with them? Many people seem to love them but im very hesitent to buy another as I dont have limitless funds to spend on mice(and postage...).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
best sensor and build quality is logitech. Try g402? Otherwise Ec1-a/Ec2-a or deathadder Chroma perhaps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't get the G402, it only has a AM010 and it is heavy. The EC1/2-A is nice and so is the chroma if you don't mind replacing it in like a year. I would go with th EVGA X5 because of the S3988.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzanHD View Post

Don't get the G402, it only has a AM010 and it is heavy. The EC1/2-A is nice and so is the chroma if you don't mind replacing it in like a year. I would go with th EVGA X5 because of the S3988.
Have you even used the g402? The sensor feels miles better than any 3310/3988

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramraze View Post

Have you even used the g402? The sensor feels miles better than any 3310/3988
Yes I have. It wasn't that great. The 3310 isn't great to begin with and the AM010 is worse. The S3988 and 3360/3366 are the only really great sensors out right now this is mostly because they both have higher framerates than the 3310.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:

Yes I have. It wasn't that great. The 3310 isn't great to begin with and the AM010 is worse. The S3988 and 3360/3366 are the only really great sensors out right now this is mostly because they both have higher framerates than the 3310.
The am010 in g402 feels miles more accurate and responsive than 3988 and 3310, while yes, inferior to 3366. Much more stable at 1000hz and provides a smoother cursor path, while having less smoothing. Sorry bud, you're wrong.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:

The am010 in g402 feels miles more accurate and responsive than 3988 and 3310, while yes, inferior to 3366. Much more stable at 1000hz and provides a smoother cursor path, while having less smoothing. Sorry bud, you're wrong.
Edit: I'm not trying to be rude but I just can't see how you can think that. It was my last post about the matter as I'm not interested in arguing. I realize that it's my opinion so you are entitled to yours just as well
smile.gif

·
Registered
411 Posts
Prove it then. But again based on the OP the G402 is too heavy anyway, therefore not an option. He was deciding between the CASTOR, X5 and EC1-A.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right about the G402 being way too heavy. But I actualy just ordered a Castor! I can't seem to get the x5 anywhere at the moment here and my old mouse is really needs a replacement. I read about more problems with zowie mice too.

I also found a useful site that reviews mice (recommended Castor):

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/ he has a youtube channel too which is more indepth.

Anyhow I shall post an update on my thoughts on the castor soon.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuttleSnapper View Post

You are right about the G402 being way too heavy. But I actualy just ordered a Castor! I can't seem to get the x5 anywhere at the moment here and my old mouse is really needs a replacement. I read about more problems with zowie mice too.

I also found a useful site that reviews mice (recommended Castor):

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/ he has a youtube channel too which is more indepth.

Anyhow I shall post an update on my thoughts on the castor soon.
tongue.gif
Castor sucks. Unless you fingertip and like small mice with awkward shapes.

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
EC1-A had some weird feeling cursor for me, it was pretty comparable to swamp cursor, I had to constantly slug along to get my aim onto an enemies head and ever since then hearing the name EC gives me a gag reflex. I was using a 3305DK before that too, so I should have loved the 3310 but something was just wrong on that mouse, the cursor felt like it had some serious smoothing comparable to a 3988 on max DPI.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alya View Post

EC1-A had some weird feeling cursor for me, it was pretty comparable to swamp cursor, I had to constantly slug along to get my aim onto an enemies head and ever since then hearing the name EC gives me a gag reflex. I was using a 3305DK before that too, so I should have loved the 3310 but something was just wrong on that mouse, the cursor felt like it had some serious smoothing comparable to a 3988 on max DPI.
Trimmed lenses were a common issue near the begining of the EC1/2-A's life cycle but it was fixed recently. You can check by looking at the lens and seeing if the corner is cut off. Turning up the LOD also helps.

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
Quote:

Trimmed lenses were a common issue near the begining of the EC1/2-A's life cycle but it was fixed recently. You can check by looking at the lens and seeing if the corner is cut off. Turning up the LOD also helps.
I had a trimmed lens, if that was the cause of the swamp cursor then maybe I'll try one of the newer Zowie mice if I get the cash, I still have a lot of mice I have to try out but since I got a defective EC1-A Zowie isn't too high on my list right now. I do like my Zowie AM though, still makes me sad how bad the click latency is on it, I had to switch back to my Hori which has double clicking though because the click latency hurts me worse than the double clicks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:

I had a trimmed lens, if that was the cause of the swamp cursor then maybe I'll try one of the newer Zowie mice if I get the cash, I still have a lot of mice I have to try out but since I got a defective EC1-A Zowie isn't too high on my list right now. I do like my Zowie AM though, still makes me sad how bad the click latency is on it, I had to switch back to my Hori which has double clicking though because the click latency hurts me worse than the double clicks.
My yellow FK1 tracks fine and has good latency. I've been using it even more than my WMO lately (I weight modded it). The best feature of ZOWIE is the build quality, they are built like tanks but still don't weigh to much.

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
Quote:

My yellow FK1 tracks fine and has good latency. I've been using it even more than my WMO lately (I weight modded it). The best feature of ZOWIE is the build quality, they are built like tanks but still don't weigh to much.
I love my Zowie AM, fits well in the palm, is definitely built like a tank and can withstand a few drops, I've clicked in the scroll wheel pretty hard in the past before when I first got it and it has just been holding up pretty well, the 15ms click latency is really noticeable to me in arena FPS games like Reflex though, I'll click and my shot won't register until a few moments after which makes me miss rails. I haven't noticed a time where I lost a fight in CS:GO due to the click latency though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:

I love my Zowie AM, fits well in the palm, is definitely built like a tank and can withstand a few drops, I've clicked in the scroll wheel pretty hard in the past before when I first got it and it has just been holding up pretty well, the 15ms click latency is really noticeable to me in arena FPS games like Reflex though, I'll click and my shot won't register until a few moments after which makes me miss rails. I haven't noticed a time where I lost a fight in CS:GO due to the click latency though.
I think in Reflex you have some weird mouse movement on top of that. Like also the rail and rocket feel delayed(like initial delay after click, not only the slower projectile speed) when compared to any other arena shooter. I mean this could amplify the issue.

If you really like the AM, you can buy an fk1/fk2 and fit the pcb inside the am. It works flawlessly. Only thing you need to do is make the lens fit at the borders, so cutting 1 mm off of the sides. Was very easy to do.

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
Quote:

I think in Reflex you have some weird mouse movement on top of that. Like also the rail and rocket feel delayed(like initial delay after click, not only the slower projectile speed) when compared to any other arena shooter. I mean this could amplify the issue.

If you really like the AM, you can buy an fk1/fk2 and fit the pcb inside the am. It works flawlessly. Only thing you need to do is make the lens fit at the borders, so cutting 1 mm off of the sides. Was very easy to do.
I noticed that with my Hori as well which shouldn't have an issue with the rails and rockets seeming to shoot after I clicked, I picked up one of those DM mice (DM1 pro) because it has a 3310 in it with a shape very similar to the one I'm using right now, just a little bit more width and a little bit more height, which is something I wanted with the AM so as long as the build quality is good and there's no click delay, it might be the last mouse I buy for a while...hopefully.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after using the castor a bit, I can't say the shape is that great. I can see what they were going for and the left side is nice, it's easy to grip and the buttons are easy to press (maybe too easy)
But I find the right side really hard to grip with fingertip and the back end seems heavier than the front which makes it harder to lift.

Everything else is great though, the wheel is nice, the side buttons are awesome and the clicks are great though the coating is a little slippery.

It's just so slippery on the right which makes it a pain to lift quickly at low sens.

It seems I might end up trying an x5 at some point but I will see if I get used to this over a few weeks.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuttleSnapper View Post

Well after using the castor a bit, I can't say the shape is that great. I can see what they were going for and the left side is nice, it's easy to grip and the buttons are easy to press (maybe too easy)
But I find the right side really hard to grip with fingertip and the back end seems heavier than the front which makes it harder to lift.

Everything else is great though, the wheel is nice, the side buttons are awesome and the clicks are great though the coating is a little slippery.

It's just so slippery on the right which makes it a pain to lift quickly at low sens.

It seems I might end up trying an x5 at some point but I will see if I get used to this over a few weeks.
rolleyes.gif
True, that's what I said
smile.gif
i had the same problem as you. I got used to the slipperiness, as the coating becomes more grippy the more you use it. However, I can't get over the awkward and flat shape. I mean it's not bad but it's not particularly good either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts