Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the one rig and 2 laptops running, and I'm at 20,000+pts and rank 1803 so far.

I tried getting the rig to run [email protected] SMP under Win XP Pro x64 with no luck. I wanted to get that running, then get the GPU folding going. But, no go.

Anyone have suggestions, or point me to a specific guide on here (or anywhere else) for folding quad AMD CPU XP x64 SMP folding with dual GPUs folding?

Thanks

jck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by tenchimuyo93
View Post

using the winsmp client {6.24 dropin exe} i add the " -smp" to a created shortcut of the "[email protected]".

for dual gpus i add the " -gpu 0" and " -gpu 1" flags for the differant cards i wanna run it on.

if your wanting vmware ummm someone else will have to step in for that.

Nah, I will just run Windows SMP folding since the CPU is nothing special anyways, plus the 2 8800GTSes will do way more on their own.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll give them a shot ASAP
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
Folding under a virtual machine will still get more points since its folding under linux from what I understand. They are easier to start and stop than the windows ones, atleast thats what I thought.

As for VMs theres 3 options; error10's vm, notfred's vm, and the one in my sig. Mine does benifit for i7s but you can run it with out the -bigadv flag on duals, tris, and quads with no problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
I'm not supporting error10's VM anymore. I suggest you use SniperXX's VM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
or use the VM in my sig its super easy and stable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by error10
View Post

I'm not supporting error10's VM anymore. I suggest you use SniperXX's VM.


lol


Maybe I'll take time to set that up. For right now, I gotta get my new gaming rig running.

Cause when I do, it means the rig in my sig will move to my living room and get put on...folding duty


Ah...yes...I've caught the folding bug.


Oh btw, I have to confirm: an AMD 9850 Phenom x4 with 2x8800GTSes will warm a bedroom...and out into the hallway


I left the heat off recently when it was 50s-60s in Florida (overnight near 30F/-1C), and with the heat off and the PC folding in the guest room and 2 laptops folding in the living room...plus me using my PC and/or laptop in my bedroom for personal use...I ran no heat in the house whatsoever.

Now, I don't recommend this if you live in a poorly insulated house in the Rockies in Montana, as you might freeze to death.


But, you can heat your concrete-block home decently in mildly cold weather with computing equipment. So, fold on brothers and sisters!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by SniperXX
View Post

Folding under a virtual machine will still get more points since its folding under linux from what I understand. They are easier to start and stop than the windows ones, atleast thats what I thought.

As for VMs theres 3 options; error10's vm, notfred's vm, and the one in my sig. Mine does benifit for i7s but you can run it with out the -bigadv flag on duals, tris, and quads with no problem.

I have an AMD 550BE x4-OC and a AMD 720BE x4-OC. I could just run it with "-smp 3" right? Then 1 core kinda hangs back for the GPU handling?

Ugh. I got too many toys to play with at home, and not enough time.

God help me if they ever get a GPU out that will fold like mad with the 5800 series cards. My electric bill might double
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
i hate my bedroom with 2x9600gso's, 9800gt, 8400gs, e2220 and a q6600 {when i remember to restart the app for it}. got a little space heater for when it dips below 40f but for the most part its never on.

Quote:


God help me if they ever get a GPU out that will fold like mad with the 5800 series cards. My electric bill might double

GPU3 client is supposed to address the ati folding issue. or from what ive heard.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jck
View Post

I have an AMD 550BE x4-OC and a AMD 720BE x4-OC. I could just run it with "-smp 3" right? Then 1 core kinda hangs back for the GPU handling?

Ugh. I got too many toys to play with at home, and not enough time.

God help me if they ever get a GPU out that will fold like mad with the 5800 series cards. My electric bill might double


"

Yup, just run "-smp 3" to fold on 3 cores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by SniperXX
View Post

"

Yup, just run "-smp 3" to fold on 3 cores.

Sweet. If I can get the new rig loaded tomorrow night (been working on it 3 hours and need food/sleep now
), I will work on doing the VM in your sig then get the GPU folding on my 9850 rig.

Then like I said, I will try and move this rig (my sig rig...that I'm on now) out and hooked to the 52" LCD TV in the living room and fire it up and get folding on it too sometime soon (after I take it outside with a can of air to clean it
).

Thanks again everyone for the input. I'm a noob at folding still...but I'm learning!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SniperXX
View Post

Folding under a virtual machine will still get more points since its folding under linux from what I understand. They are easier to start and stop than the windows ones, atleast thats what I thought.

As for VMs theres 3 options; error10's vm, notfred's vm, and the one in my sig. Mine does benifit for i7s but you can run it with out the -bigadv flag on duals, tris, and quads with no problem.

how do you get -bigadv to work on dual/tri/quad?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by banded1
View Post

how do you get -bigadv to work on dual/tri/quad?

You don't. You can't complete them within deadline without at least a Core i7. With HT on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by error10
View Post

You don't. You can't complete them within deadline without at least a Core i7. With HT on.

And I guess the AMD Phenom IIs don't have something equivalent to HT?

I have that 720BE x4'ed @3.4GHz w/2x9800GTs and that's gonna be the next rig I put online to fold.

If I could do the -bigadv -smp 7 and it work with that, I'd be more than happy to pump out the WUs and PPDs.

First things first though...Gotta get my new rig workin! I wanna cry...SSD won't secure erase dang it. Kingston's support...grrr


i wanna get to FOLDING MORE...I'm hooked...can ya tell?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jck
View Post

And I guess the AMD Phenom IIs don't have something equivalent to HT?

I have that 720BE x4'ed @3.4GHz w/2x9800GTs and that's gonna be the next rig I put online to fold.

If I could do the -bigadv -smp 7 and it work with that, I'd be more than happy to pump out the WUs and PPDs.

First things first though...Gotta get my new rig workin! I wanna cry...SSD won't secure erase dang it. Kingston's support...grrr


i wanna get to FOLDING MORE...I'm hooked...can ya tell?


Err....not with THAT rig. Come on you already HAVE a phenom II, you know it only has 4 cores, and nothing even remotely like hyperthreading. It can't possibly complete a bigadv SMP WU in deadline.

Now if you put together a dual quad-core or dual 6-core Opteron then you have a shot at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by error10
View Post

Err....not with THAT rig. Come on you already HAVE a phenom II, you know it only has 4 cores, and nothing even remotely like hyperthreading. It can't possibly complete a bigadv SMP WU in deadline.

Now if you put together a dual quad-core or dual 6-core Opteron then you have a shot at it.

I really have no idea. Last time I was into CPU architecture, HT was 2 things, intel's was new (hyperthreading) and AMD had HyperTransporT or something that I think became FSB or whatever.

I'm too old to keep up with it all. My days as a whiz kid are long gone. I like my puters, but the days of good ole Computer Shopper when it was actually a magazine as big as a Encyclopedia volume and had tons of great articles are long gone.

I really didn't know if AMD had something similar or not to allow it. I'm tech ignorant nowadays.

Scares me that the kids at Best Buy might one day all know more than me about PCs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
Its cool jck, we are refering to HT as HyperThreading. Just like the old P4 days but on a i7 it gets us 4 virtual cores. AMD HyperTransport is just a way of connecting stuff on the mobo.

So you would want to run the command like this.

Quote:


./fah6 -smp 4

You dont need the -bigadv flag since it wont work on anything with less than 8 cores/threads. Just change the smp number to the amount of cores you want it to run on. For example -smp 3 will only run the client on 3 of the 4 cores on your cpu.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by SniperXX
View Post

Its cool jck, we are refering to HT as HyperThreading. Just like the old P4 days but on a i7 it gets us 4 virtual cores. AMD HyperTransport is just a way of connecting stuff on the mobo.

So you would want to run the command like this.

You dont need the -bigadv flag since it wont work on anything with less than 8 cores/threads. Just change the smp number to the amount of cores you want it to run on. For example -smp 3 will only run the client on 3 of the 4 cores on your cpu.

Hope this helps.

Will do. And, I got the SSD on the new rig wiped. So, I hope to have it all installed with XP 64/7 64/Kubuntu 8.04.2 64 by Friday. Then, this rig (sig rig) is going into the living room and it'll be setup with your same setup...plus GPU2 folding on dual 9800GTX+es.


This folding thing hits home. My g/f's dad is not doing well...has early on-set Alzheimers. He's only in his 50s. Good man. So, I am gonna fold with all the machines I can get setup and try and get something done as best I can...since I can't do the medical research.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top