Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably one question coming frequently but I have not found help on yet.

In 2018, what would be a suggested way to backup data to move a raid?
New backup hdd, cloud?

I have 2x2tb in raid 1 to store family document, pictures and videos and some movies. This is in an old office desktop running OMV with plex etc... On a core2duo.

I have a used z97 and g3258 on shelf that I would like to use instead, and will be running Ubuntu or Windows 10.

Is there a way I can move the array without rebuilding it and risk losing data?

Should I better purchase a new hdd just as simple backup?
Is it possible to rent cloud for a week? (it will be slow to upload and download 2tb but feasible).

I would have purchased another 2tb but I wouldn't be able to use it after like for a raid 5 etc...

Thank you!

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
Is there a way I can move the array without rebuilding it and risk losing data?
Assuming the old machine is using the motherboard built in fake RAID, then no. The hardware overhead for doing full software RAID is minimal, and that allows you to move it to any machine capable of working with your drives. In the case of standard SATA drives that means virtually any machine you come across.

If the RAID 1 setup is your only backup then you would be very well served to buy a spare drive. Having RAID one only acts as fault tolerance for a drive failure. It has no fault tolerance for malware, virus, accidental deletion, corruption, power surge, fire, or thousands of other ways data can be destroyed inside a machine. Keeping the drive separate, or preferably off site, and occasionally doing incremental backups would be a much better way to preserve the data if it is of any importance.

I know there are also online services where you can back up your data, and have them send you a drive in case of disaster so you don't have to spend a week downloading all of your stuff. Given how cheap a 2TB drive is, it would probably start to add up fast paying a few bucks a month for online backup. The benefit of it being off site, perhaps having it sync regularly and automatically, and not having to worry about bit rot (since the service provider would be replacing drives as needed) has some merit that may be worth the money.

I've heard good things of software RAID in Linux, but I haven't personally used it. If it is just for redundancy you could also use rsync, syncthing, or other software to just mirror data from one drive to the next. This allows for remotely locating the second drive which can give extra security. My security camera system uses syncthing to copy to a drive in a laptop that is located remotely. It works well other than the old Intel Atom N450 having slow SATA speeds. I'm looking to replace it with a Rock64 Board, which is something you could use if you do get another 2TB drive. Find a cheap SATA to USB3 case and a 1GB Rock64 to act as a cheap, fast server for the drive.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
What do you mean by "move"? If you're using RAID 1, both HDD's should mirror each other anyway. I'd disable RAID and see if you can access both HDDs and confirm the data is there.
You should be able to just use the existing 2TB drive you already have which already has the info on it you want backed up. Or if you'd like to have it duplicated again you'd need to have another 2TB drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts