Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had my C drive (1TB Caviar Black) connected to the Gigabyte on board secondary SATA/RAID controller, along with a data drive in the 2nd port, and I also have 2 drives in RAID 0 on the AMD onboard SATA/RAID controller.

I get mediocre results in HDTune and the lowest score in my WEI is drive data rate 5.7. So I am thinking I'll get better results by moving the C drive to the first port on the AMD controller.

I hope to do this by using Acronis, having performed a complete partition image backup. Well, first I though I would try just switching the disk's cable from one controller to the other and seeing if by any miracle the new controller would recognize it as a valid boot drive. Short of that, I can run Acronis standalone and restore the partition image, having first wiped the drive and creating a short stroked partition of ~200GB .

So here are my questions:
Is there any quicker way to do this? Or better/safer way?
Should I move the data drive off the JMicron controller, too? There will still be free ports on the SB750.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Windows 7 limits the WEI score traditional hard drives can achieve (even in RAID). If you're just looking to boost that score, stop now because it'll be a fruitless endeavor.

Plug in any current SSD as your boot drive and it'll rocket to 7.5+. It's all pretty arbitrary.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

Windows 7 limits the WEI score traditional hard drives can achieve (even in RAID). If you're just looking to boost that score, stop now because it'll be a fruitless endeavor.

Plug in any current SSD as your boot drive and it'll rocket to 7.5+. It's all pretty arbitrary.

I knew about the boost I'd get from an SSD (next upgrade!) but didn't realize all others were scored like that, thanks for saving me a bunch of time and risky operations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts