Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Slow Performing Add-ons

Add-ons provide many useful features and functions, but they can also cause Firefox to become slower. Some add-ons can even slow Firefox to a crawl and make it difficult to use for regular web browsing. If you think add-ons might be the reason Firefox is lethargic, check the list below for some of the biggest bottlenecks. And remember, for best performance you should disable add-ons that you no longer use regularly.

Add-ons with Slowest Start-up

The following add-ons have the most impact on how long it takes Firefox to start up.
Rank Add-on Impact Longer lines are slower
2444-32.png?modified=1300893253
FoxLingo - Translator / Dictionary by Linkular LLC
74% slower

1843-32.png?modified=1300780225
Firebug by Joe Hewitt, johnjbarton, robcee, FirebugWorkingGroup, Jan Odvarko
74% slower

12331-32.png?modified=1301344745
AniWeather by AniWeather
54% slower
Source

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1337;12996803
This is what it was doing to me, I think I disabled Adblock Plus and the AVG addon and it sped it up back to normal.
AVG addon, most likely, however, even if Adblock is 12th in this list (which ain't very good), imo it should be compensated by the fact that there will be less things to download (less ads).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Firebug is coming off when I get home.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
I had lingo installed up until I read this. I rarely used it, just disabled it so I can still use it if needed later. I can't say I see a noticeable difference though. I starts up in less than a second either way.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Quote:
The following add-ons have the most impact on how long it takes Firefox to start up.
Dont really care. If ABP and NoScript make my firefox start up 30% slower then so be it.
They do more good then they do harm, and until mozilla lists how much it will impact actual browser use and not just start up these numbers wont mean a thing to me.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
This is why I use Chromium... Nothing can really ever slow other down. Although Firefox running from an Ssd is pretty fast too, i still don't like how it manages tabs (I often move tabs to a new window/monitor, and I don't like how with Firefox it has to re-render the page, while Chromium kind of just moves it).

·
Senior Overclocker
5,050 Posts
I moved back to Chrome.
FF4 started bugging me from the get-go but I tried to ignore it ... Had enough yesterday and off it went.
I also had a few addons installed and it felt a little slower.
Maybe the next version will fix things but till then, I'm on Chrome.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptedvick;12998379
I moved back to Chrome.
FF4 started bugging me from the get-go but I tried to ignore it ... Had enough yesterday and off it went.
I also had a few addons installed and it felt a little slower.
Maybe the next version will fix things but till then, I'm on Chrome.
Ya, I know what you mean. My biggest gripe with it is what happened to the F6 button to access the address bar... I use it all the time with Chrome, and IIRC, it worked fine with the older versions of Firefox, but for some reason, with FF4, it no longer works.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Get SSD. Problem solved.
smile.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got Firebug installed however I only use it when I'm developing web apps. It's as easy as disabling it, then renabling when I need it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Addons I use that are on that list:

Adblock Plus - 21%
NoScript - 16%
Greasemonkey - 15%
Download Statusbar - 14%
Web of Trust - 14%
BetterPrivacy - 1%

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Get SSD. Problem solved.

Seriously. Even if it's a small little boot drive.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I only use two of these (in the top 10)
EDIT: One, I just removed FastestFox from my library and am looking for replacement addons, but what I can't remove is VideoDownloadHelper.... very useful, unless I can find a suitable alternative

Also, check out the addon focus keyboard. No need for F6 - heck, no need for anything. The moment you begin typing while nothing on the browser or webpage is selected, it types into the browser. Very useful IMO.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

Ya, I know what you mean. My biggest gripe with it is what happened to the F6 button to access the address bar... I use it all the time with Chrome, and IIRC, it worked fine with the older versions of Firefox, but for some reason, with FF4, it no longer works.

I'm on FF4 now, I never knew about F6, Thanks! F6 highlights my URL Bar Font

Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

but what I can't remove is VideoDownloadHelper.... very useful, unless I can find a suitable alternative.

I got rid of VideoDownloadHelper long time ago because it was not compatible with DownThemAll and found FlashGot which is a companion to DTA. DTA & Flashgot = Win, there is a but to it though, DTA and Flashgot are on the list as well.

DownThemAll! 16% FlashGot 50%. They are two must have great tools to have though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts