Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Fearing Microsoft will build a walled garden around Windows 8, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell begain focusing Steam development on Linux, and that effort is starting to show up in the real world. To wit, the latest Steam Hardare Survey reveals that Linux usage on Steam has more than doubled in February, jumping from 0.8 percent a month prior to 2.02 percent currently.
Source

Go Valve!!
thumb.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,823 Posts
Not too surprising. It will grow to 5% or so and then level off. Right now we're seeing all the excitement around the Linux release take effect, but that will soon die off as the larger portion of Linux gamers try it out.

Good for Linux users, but not exactly ground breaking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,349 Posts
They need to release more client versions. I tried loading it up in CentOS 6.3, but could not get it, though I am a linux noob. Tried the Fedora builds, and the repackaging a Debian build instructions, but could not get either to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Of course it grew, considering the press Steam got for anouncing their official support. Numbers will grow, but what we are looking at is the initial flux of people that were already on the edge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,574 Posts
LOL. Love the naysayers. Just wonder how many of you guys complain about not having choice or control of things you buy? How many of you complain about Win8 and all that. God...shoot a person for trying something different why don't you. And if you're waiting for a game to come to Linux then you're only making the delay longer. Consumers need to be proactive or they'll be at the mercy of producers. You want games moved onto Linux then move onto Linux and the games will follow. But that would be too much effort. I'm sorry but it's tiresome to hear people complain about things and never do anything to change it. /Rant

If we make the 5% mark by summer that will be impressive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
So instead of 5 there's now 10 people?
redface.gif


(I'M JOKING AS IT'S NOT ALWAYS SO OBVIOUS.)
 

·
Geezer
Joined
·
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

LOL. Love the naysayers. Just wonder how many of you guys complain about not having choice or control of things you buy? How many of you complain about Win8 and all that. God...shoot a person for trying something different why don't you. And if you're waiting for a game to come to Linux then you're only making the delay longer. Consumers need to be proactive or they'll be at the mercy of producers. You want games moved onto Linux then move onto Linux and the games will follow. But that would be too much effort. I'm sorry but it's tiresome to hear people complain about things and never do anything to change it. /Rant

If we make the 5% mark by summer that will be impressive.
naysayers or not ... Dev's wont move to a platform with no revenue. Hard core gammers wont move to a platform with no titles.

Catch 22

When steam box releases then we'll see a larger flux into linux. Cant wait to see the outcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhjuh View Post

why woudl you want an overrated fps game flooded by middle school children?
His point isn't really to just get COD4 on there. Get any mainstream game used by hundreds of thousands of gamers and it will help the push.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,308 Posts
I think the problem there is that Valve would probably have to pay devs to port their games to Linux, because nobody else is going to give them any money for doing so.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,553 Posts
Only real game i play anymore is CS:Go. I have completely abandoned BF3 because it just sucks anymore. Whats the best linux to use? ubuntu?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danewfie View Post

naysayers or not ... Dev's wont move to a platform with no revenue. Hard core gammers wont move to a platform with no titles.

Catch 22

When steam box releases then we'll see a larger flux into linux. Cant wait to see the outcome.
You are of course assuming that Steambox doesn't utterly tank.

It is expensive. It is a console where *ahem* you can't buy or sell used games. It's really a locked down PC with mediocre hardware. Yeah. So many people are just lining up for it.
rolleyes.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillan View Post

So instead of 5 there's now 10 people?
redface.gif


(I'M JOKING AS IT'S NOT ALWAYS SO OBVIOUS.)
I was gonna say the same thing lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Only real game i play anymore is CS:Go. I have completely abandoned BF3 because it just sucks anymore. Whats the best linux to use? ubuntu?
Ubuntu and its derivatives are the only thing supported by Valve right now, with others to follow later I guess.

CS:Go is not a linux game yet.

The only Valve games on linux at the moment are:
- CS:S
- CS1.6
- HL1
- TF2

I think there are a couple more, but there are a few really good indie games out with Linux ports right now, and more to come. They've got a pretty decent start anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Only real game i play anymore is CS:Go. I have completely abandoned BF3 because it just sucks anymore. Whats the best linux to use? ubuntu?
Ubuntu is good, but personally, I prefer mint. I use LTS versions since they are not testing stuff on them.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch13f121 View Post

Ubuntu and its derivatives are the only thing supported by Valve right now, with others to follow later I guess.

CS:Go is not a linux game yet.

The only Valve games on linux at the moment are:
- CS:S
- CS1.6
- HL1
- TF2

I think there are a couple more, but there are a few really good indie games out with Linux ports right now, and more to come. They've got a pretty decent start anyway.
Go isnt supported yet? Damn
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top