Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:

When DirectX 10 games hit the streets, the new API gave users marginal improvements in image quality alongside huge performance decreases. The tiny gain in visual fidelity didn’t really make up for the performance hit. On the other hand, DirectX 11 brings users some very cool potential eye-candy improvements, but also promises better performanceâ€"even if you don’t have a DirectX 11 GPU.

Along with new graphics, APIs come with new buzzwords: tessellation, SSAO, HDAO, and postprocessing. That last buzzword being a catchphrase for many small but cool effects made possible with today’s programmable graphics chips.

We’ll take a closer look at these buzzwords to dissect what they actually deliver, plus discuss the performance impact of using high-end AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

If found this an interesting read, even if most of the screenshots are stuff we've seen before.

Also, not sure if it should go in Hardware, Software, or VG news, as techincally it could go in all 3.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Ambient Occlusion IMO doesn't provide that much of an improvement to justify the performance hit. Depth of field just gets in the way when I play FPS games.

Tessellation is what really shines in dx11 and makes it worth it just for that feature alone.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
What they should actually do, is even if you are making a game, and don't mind missing out of dx11 features, code it in dx11 anyways. I want to see a 20% performance increase with the same graphics pleeease.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
^this

dx11s tesselation should not be used to make games prettier then dx9.
dx11 and dx9 should look exactly the same polygon wise, but dx11 should run much better.
(with moderation ofc, I don't expect dx9 to be running billions of polygons, but enough so there is no visual difference)
Currently its being implemented wrongly imo

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:.
View Post

^this

dx11s tesselation should not be used to make games prettier then dx9.
dx11 and dx9 should look exactly the same polygon wise, but dx11 should run much better.
(with moderation ofc, I don't expect dx9 to be running billions of polygons, but enough so there is no visual difference)
Currently its being implemented wrongly imo

thats stupid. with tessellation you get rid of the need for mip maps. Which will lead to a huge increase in visual detail because its not hot swapping textures and objects with more detailed ones.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I didn't say dx11 should look worse, I said games should be created so that dx9 looks like dx11 but dx 9 will suffer a massive performance hit. mipmaps I thought were only for textures, I don't see what that has to do with polygons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts