Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the release of Windows 10, Microsoft has been accused of breaching privacy and connecting users to services without proper disclosure. The company now has released a list of websites and services that a Windows PC connects to after a clean install.

The list mostly consists of Microsoft services which provide data endpoints to the respective Microsoft apps. The list can be derived after installing Windows 10 (1709 or above) and leaving the PC idle on default settings for a week. This can then be used to Compile reports on traffic going to public IP addresses. However, if you don’t want to go through all that then you can head below to take a look at the list.
https://mspoweruser.com/these-are-the-websites-your-clean-install-windows-pc-connects-to-by-itself/

This list is huge. Perhaps by themselves is not much of an issue depending on your preference. However, I would be curious to know how much bandwidth is consumed in an 8 hour period if you just left your computer running at desktop? Another lingering question is if this is the entire list of links win10 connects to?

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Its a pretty decent list, however i feel there is more to it than that.
A large portion can be disabled by disabling the windows store or using a Win 10 install without the store.
I may look into blocking the windows updates at the firewall level and see
my GPO is set to not update all my PC's but i have seen firsthand servers ignore GPO's from time to time.
Would be nice to have that second layer :p

·
Politically incorrect
9,299 Posts
Excellent, if a list isn't compiled I will create it myself and add it to my router's blacklist (Tomato powered AC66U).

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
I'm sure all the tin foil hat people will be pleased.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,295 Posts
That might explain why Build 1709 entirely crippled my PC's ability to do anything worthwhile now. I'm forced to reboot every other day because of that singular update. xD It was FINE for over two years, and then that singular update hit and... that's it? :p Good job Microsoft, you're an idiot.

P.S. Even a clean install of build 1709 didn't do anything.

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
So glad I've stuck with win7. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
The price that you pay to avoid this is to have to learn a command line :

I pay it gladly.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,866 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
This was posted long enough ago there should be an 8 page dumpster fire of OC regulars blowing things out of proportion, I'll check back tomorrow I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
This is just a straight copy of the Microsoft documentation and has been available for ages. If you actually read the documentation, a lot of these are reasonable. Traffic to most, if not all, the app specific ones (Facebook, Twitter, Office, etc.) automatically stops if you remove the apps/disable the features in Windows. The list is huge, you say, but that actually works in our favour. Since most services have their own domains, you can in fact disable undesirable traffic without breaking everything else. Imagine if everything just went to examplesubdomain.microsoft.com; identifying and blocking traffic would be a nightmare.

I frequent the Pi-hole subreddit and it baffles me how many people will happily break functionality and worsen not only their own but also their family's user experience in an attempt to block all communication with MS, good or bad. If you worry about your privacy that much, you should switch to a privacy-focused Linux distro.

Excellent, if a list isn't compiled I will create it myself and add it to my router's blacklist (Tomato powered AC66U).
There already are IMO very decent anti-MS hosts lists: https://github.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker/tree/master/data/hosts

The data folder contains the blocking rules based on domains or IPs detected during the capture process :

data/<type>/extra.txt : Block third party applications
data/<type>/spy.txt : Block Windows Spy / Telemetry
data/<type>/update.txt : Block Windows Update

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,579 Posts
That might explain why Build 1709 entirely crippled my PC's ability to do anything worthwhile now. I'm forced to reboot every other day because of that singular update. xD It was FINE for over two years, and then that singular update hit and... that's it? :p Good job Microsoft, you're an idiot.

P.S. Even a clean install of build 1709 didn't do anything.
You know we aren't on 1709 anymore because that update is 10 months old right?

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
While not always possible, before installation I recommend users to use ntlite to slipstream the iso with their drivers needed and remove all those extra components from the install. You can also integrate regedits to disable things like cortana, onedrive, telemetry, etc during installation and never have to worry about them.

Not only will the install be much quicker, but post install setup is virtually non-existent since proper updated drivers and stuff are already baked in. Also the system wont lag for the first day or so doing all of the shady background processes it normally does. This can also be used to make barebones Win10 installs for mining setups too, with all the extra crap disabled.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
While not always possible, before installation I recommend users to use ntlite to slipstream the iso with their drivers needed and remove all those extra components from the install. You can also integrate regedits to disable things like cortana, onedrive, telemetry, etc during installation and never have to worry about them.

Not only will the install be much quicker, but post install setup is virtually non-existent since proper updated drivers and stuff are already baked in. Also the system wont lag for the first day or so doing all of the shady background processes it normally does. This can also be used to make barebones Win10 installs for mining setups too, with all the extra crap disabled.
I went that route (sort of) to get a nice .iso of Windows. Basically I wanted to install and go without disabling or removing this or that. I was using MSMG and while I could make what I wanted there was always some issue down the road because I removed something, I wanted to be able to update later. After updating (if it worked) I would end up with the same bloated copy of windows everyone else had. Now I use O&O to disable everything then Ccleaner to remove the bloat after, not what I wanted but it does work and IMO it's faster. As soon as Windows is done updating after a clean install I hit it with O&O, no problems at all. Network usage is 0 at idle.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I'm sure all the tin foil hat people will be pleased.
There's nothing tin-foil hat about this. Personal data acquisition and resale is the profit model of Windows 10 -- Microsoft has made this very clear.

It's not necessarily malevolent spying, but it's spying. It's spying with consent -- the bare minimum of consent; consent via ignorance, naivety, and negligence. And maybe that's fine. Maybe it'll have positive effects on society as a whole. Personally, I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, and I won't participate.

It's more difficult than it should be, to opt-out of participation, too. Novice and intermediate PC users often cannot figure out how to opt-out, so their choice often boils down to "quit using technology altogether, or accept personal data gathering." This thread offers more information to users on how to accomplish opting-out.

Opinions like the one you're sharing, here? In this thread? All you're doing is advocating the death of nuance -- glorification of defeatism by slandering people who are informed and proactive about the topic. It offers nothing to the conversation other than noise.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
So glad I've stuck with win7. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
There's nothing tin-foil hat about this. Personal data acquisition and resale is the profit model of Windows 10 -- Microsoft has made this very clear.

It's not necessarily malevolent spying, but it's spying. It's spying with consent -- the bare minimum of consent; consent via ignorance, naivety, and negligence. And maybe that's fine. Maybe it'll have positive effects on society as a whole. Personally, I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, and I won't participate.

It's more difficult than it should be, to opt-out of participation, too. Novice and intermediate PC users often cannot figure out how to opt-out, so their choice often boils down to "quit using technology altogether, or accept personal data gathering." This thread offers more information to users on how to accomplish opting-out.

Opinions like the one you're sharing, here? In this thread? All you're doing is advocating the death of nuance -- glorification of defeatism by slandering people who are informed and proactive about the topic. It offers nothing to the conversation other than noise.
Ditto to both!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As someone who lives with a data cap of 16GB I had to learn how to disable all this background network usage from day one with Windows 10. It's not easy, but after almost giving up, now it's not using any of my data with no need for 3rd party software.

Most important of all steps is setting your network as a "Metered Connection". Besides this, all the other settings are pretty simple, if you know how to use the "Resource Monitor" to identify which process is using your network.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
How's the weather in 1946 Cambodia?
Hi from Brasil!

In fact, I used to have a 50 Mbps cable connection, but I've come to live in a rural area covered only by mobile network.

Only after this I noticed how much data Windows 10 uses on the background and had to contain that. I bet Windows would use up to half of my data if I didn't stop it.

If I was willing to pay more than the 15 dollars I pay, I could have a higher data cap, but, believe it or not, I can do almost everything I used to do with these 16 GB. All I need to do is download my videos and games on my trips to civilization.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Don't be fooled, there's definitely other hidden stuff Windows 10 connects to without your consent. There's a bunch of videos on the net of guys running wire shark, they disable something in Windows 10 yet wire shark still shows packets flowing off to the same address or blocking things at the router level and then all of a sudden some other hole opens up and Windows 10 connect to another address.

Most people should know that if they have a cellphone running Android, basically the same thing is happening as well just by Google, only solution is running Lineage OS with all the Googliness stripped out of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts