Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me the difference, I have DoD:s running at 16xQsaa.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Differant methods of doing the AA, I don't think there is really that much differance between the two in the end.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by real View Post
what do the M and the Q stand for??
Yea, Id like to find that out as well...any help?

·
Registered
404 Posts
i think the m is multi sampling and the other is quality sampling

i think 16qsaa (16Q) is about the same as 4x normal aa quality wise.

well i remember seeing a lot about the AA of the 8series and the improvements they made, just can't really remember, but look them up to see for yourselfs

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
delete me

·
Registered
969 Posts
To my limited knowledge on the subject QSAA, is shorthand for Nvidia quincunx super aa, using a 5 point method for aa yields about 2:3 performance gain in processing overhead to MSAA, or standard AA. So a 2x QSAA does what 3x MSAA does(ish), at the 2x MSAA computational cost. Better or worse would be pretty subjective and game dependent, I happen to like aa more than I like jaggies... on some games with some motion blur built in, maybe not so much. Something like Civ 5, which has 8x QSAA, it looks really nice and is quite smooth zooming in and out... but there ya go.

So back to the OP 16x QSAA ~ 24x MSAA Level, utilizing 16x MSAA Processing/comperable GPU cost. Though, nothing for free, could make the scene a touch blurry if there is some built in motion blur in the scene.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quincunx AA is notorious for blurring textures and the overall scene with worse antialiasing results than multisampling. Well, on PS3 anyway.
tongue.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts