Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just noticed that on pcmag.com the review for Norton Internet Security 2012 and Microsoft Security Essentials are up. Norton once again smashed on MSE but under the "user ratings" its just the opposite. I guess the Fan Boys must have their opinions. And for the record, anyone who has MSE do me a favor. Go to Task Manager---> Processes and find "MSE.exe" now right-click it and END TASK. LOL, gueeeeeeeeeeees what?????? It shut itself down. Thank GOD virus and malware cant END TASK and other programs.....oh wait,,,,,they can. Well then MSE user may say, "This here sekquity progrum is sooooooooo gooood that it will take care of any verman malware before it strikes....yeah and when it does shut down ur security, youll be wishing you had a security program that will actually protect itself.

Later Haters

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
theres alot more good free AV/ASs out there that people combine with MSE.
Avast
Malwarebytes and more good stuff, but thank you for your rant
tongue.gif

PS: if your not happy with MSE, use norton or better yet spend a grand or 2 on a HW FW that can do deep packet inspection and mitigate against day zero threats
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you're so paranoid that you're going to get a virus/hacked, install Wubi (Linux installer), use Ubuntu ----> Firefox and install Noscript and Adblock Plus for Firefox. That's what I do for all my web-browsing. If you do get a virus/hacked somehow which is very unlikely in Linux, then you just simply delete Ubuntu from Windows 7.

I realize that this guy might be a troll, but this information might be useful to someone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Ninja View Post

Go to Task Manager---> Processes and find "MSE.exe" now right-click it and END TASK. LOL, gueeeeeeeeeeees what?????? It shut itself down. Thank GOD virus and malware cant END TASK and other programs.....oh wait,,,,,they can.
1) there is no mse.exe (maybe you have a trojan/virus?).... it's msseces.exe and msmpeng.exe 2) you end the process you just end the gui. the service still runs in the background you just get no alerts .... just sayin buddy..
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
pretty much why i don't use MSE, that and it always flips out whenever windows isnt "genuine" (which is pretty often for me)

it would always somehow be "off" and windows would complain.

it's light weight sure...but honestly avast/avg aren't effecting my performance any time soon

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
The latest Norton SS is actually pretty good, if not the best. But 1) It costs money and 2) It's hard to *get*.

I just use comodo firewall, MSE, and malwarebytes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins View Post

Trolled well sir.
Either way, who needs an AV? Don't go to pron and you are good!
Not true at all, and people need to stop spreading this misinformation. A lot of viruses are either distributed by malicious ads or Javascript on more traditional sites. My last infections came from:

Google.com (a while back)
My VPN with s a friend who, until recently, believed as you did.

I assumed that all VPN traffic would be safe, coming from four PCs operated by intelligent, tech savvy friends... So I told my firewall to let files pass through it relatively frequently.

Then along comes Gael.D which is network aware, which I find on my friends computer in his alienswarm shared folder. It took me ten minutes to convince him he had a virus and another thirty that he should install an antivirus.

How did he get it? We have no idea, but he thinks it jumped onto his PC from another VPN...

Either way, I don't automatically trust my VPN anymore... but having to open my firewall to it for gaming and file transfers makes it pretty insecure regardless.

Oh, also at least five JavaScript attacks in the past three months. Regular browsing.

So no, that is untrue and people need to stop convincing others that it is.

(MSE is what I use and it seems to have found Gael.D and dealt with it by the way)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.