Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building my pc yesterday. When I startup the pc the MSI 7800gt's fan spins at max rpm and is very nosiy, but once the computer has booted to the desktop the fan goes quiet, and spins to a lower rpm. Anyne know what the prob is and how to fix it?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
When booting up it automatically sets the fan speed to full. You could edit the bios of the graphics card to alter the value of the speed, or either put up with the noise or buy an aftermarket heatsink / fan.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even if replacing with another fan, on startup the graphics card will still run the fan at full whack. How do you go into the GC bios anyway, to lower the rpm?

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negotiator

even if replacing with another fan, on startup the graphics card will still run the fan at full whack. How do you go into the GC bios anyway, to lower the rpm?

You would have to edit the bios off the card to adjust the fan speed at different times and i have a faq in my sign you can read and does have link to a program that has the abilty for you to modify the fan speed on the card and then flash the modified bios back to the card.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it more likely a driver issue,should I try the lastest driver first?

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
I have a 6800 with an Ultra cooler on it and it does the same thing. Unless you want to edit the BIOS on the card, there's not much you can do. The reason it does this is because the drivers don't kick in until you are in the Windows enviroment. There is nothing wrong with your card or drivers, this is how it is designed to work. But to edit the video BIOS use a util like nvflash and then edit the BIOS file with nibitor or something like that.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the success level of editing the bios, will I **** up the graphics card?

·
Packet Pusher
2,317 Posts
Backup your old BIOS first like described in the FAQ in systemaxd's sig. ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP. Only edit the minor settings like in the FAQ and you'll be fine. I have a floppy with my original BIOS rom file on it just in case. I edited the speeds on my 6800 so the "stock" speeds were where I got it stable at during the OC process. Be careful, read the FAQ, and take your time. You'll be fine. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negotiator

whats the success level of editing the bios, will I **** up the graphics card?

If you just editing the bios on a smilpe case (vcore and clocks or fan speed that you know the card can take safely) and reflashing i would say 99.9% sucesful rate if you are using a bios off the net (downloaded) i would say 70% succesful rate. As for my on my 6800 ultra i have flashed the bios about 5 times or so and still works correectly with no problems and all i have done is follow the setps in the faq i made. If you are to go and edit the bios i dont have a lot of experience with the bios modifier for the 7series carsds but it seems pretty straight forward on the settings and adjustments.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Considering that your computer probably takes less than 30 seconds to boot, is it really that important that the fan not be loud for half a minute on startup? lol cmon man, its not that bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts