Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Got a question about the new rig I'm going to build. I plan on buying the MSI 790FX-GD70 with the 965BE. My plan is to get 3 5850's and run two of them in crossfire to drive my 28inch monitor, and use the third to drive a 22inch and a 19 inch monitor. Will this work?

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostbear35 View Post
I wasn't looking for eyefinity, but since you brought it up, why won't it work yet?
Eyefinity Crossfire only works on the HD5970 *so far*

It's all driver related, not GPU related.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
3 5850's? Then pass on the X4 and get a 1366 I7. The X4 doesn't have enough horsepower to properly run a 3 card setup. It's currently bottlenecking my Trifire setup which is why i'm going Gulftown

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
3 5850's? Then pass on the X4 and get a 1366 I7. The X4 doesn't have enough horsepower to properly run a 3 card setup. It's currently bottlenecking my Trifire setup which is why i'm going Gulftown
Can you elaborate on the bottleneck a bit more? How do you know it's the x4 slowing your trifire down, and why would the i7 not do the same thing. I've been kicking around the idea of going with an i7, but the i7 in the same price range as the x4 965 just doesn't have big enough performance gains for what I'll be doing, and the other i7's are so damn expensive!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts