Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one should I get? Im getting a 1055t to replace my dead sig 955
. My current mb wont overclock for s***t so I need another one. I'm trying to choose between these two because they have very good reviews, are cheap, and black

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went for the 870a anyway because it overclock really well...I don't care about lucid either. I'm a little worried though because I used to have an msi 890gx m65 board and it came DOA :s

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
Lucid Hydra Tech and why you, as a consumer, should stay away from it.

You can't go wrong with Biostar! Lucid Hydra is a gimmick, and I've had enough problems from the two MSI boards I've owned to never ever buy MSI again. While I've never personally owned a Biostar board, they do look really great. I always wanted to get a Tpower series.
You know,those kind of blanket statements kind of torque me off.While it is clear Hydra is not as fast as crossfire or Sli in hybrid mode-it does perform nearly identical when using the same brand cards.You also get the benefit of running SLi on AMD board without a hack,so there is really no reason to say it is just a gimmick.Obviously they have twice the work to implement drivers for hybrid-mode,so the lead-time is much longer.Also the hydra chip allows extra PCIE lanes,so you get the full dual 16x slots.The Biostar 890 boards while initially promising,have been having problems.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz View Post
You know,those kind of blanket statements kind of torque me off.While it is clear Hydra is not as fast as crossfire or Sli in hybrid mode-it does perform nearly identical when using the same brand cards.You also get the benefit of running SLi on AMD board without a hack,so there is really no reason to say it is just a gimmick.Obviously they have twice the work to implement drivers for hybrid-mode,so the lead-time is much longer.Also the hydra chip allows extra PCIE lanes,so you get the full dual 16x slots.The Biostar 890 boards while initially promising,have been having problems.In fact the 890FX board is not even available any more.
It's good to know I can do true sli on this board anyway
. I don't plan on upgrading to bulldozer or sandy/ivy bridge: I only use my pc to game and do essays since I'm 16

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
double post my bad

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
Lucid Hydra Tech and why you, as a consumer, should stay away from it.

You can't go wrong with Biostar! Lucid Hydra is a gimmick, and I've had enough problems from the two MSI boards I've owned to never ever buy MSI again. While I've never personally owned a Biostar board, they do look really great. I always wanted to get a Tpower series.
There's already a thread basically stating how ridiculous that review is. Read through some of the replies and you'll see how lacking the article is of many essential attributes, including more than one benchmark, an indication of what cards they're even using and at what settings they're running the benchmark at. You can't just boycott a company and technology without even having decent support to back you up.

Scroll down to post #23 of this thread and read my reply, I don't feel like copying and pasting it here. There you'll read exactly what I would have replied to you.

Also, here's an email I sent to Lucid Tech and the reply I got.

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:32 PM
To: sales
Subject: Lucid Hydra technology bashed by a computer enthusiast website.

Hi Lucid Hydra support,

I am a previous owner of the MSI Big Bang Fuzion motherboard that had your Lucid Hydra chip implemented in it, and I want to let you know I am a huge fan of the accomplishments you have made as a company and this revolutionary technology that you have been working on.

The reason I am contacting you today is because I just read this article written by HardwareHeaven.com (LINK) that is putting down your technology based off of a single game benchmark, and telling consumers not to buy motherboards that have the Lucid Hydra 200 chip on them. I strongly believe that this article is not only completely ignorant and false, but I don't even think that it is legal for HardwareHeaven.com to tell consumers not to buy your technology. This website is a huge site that many computer enthusiasts rely on for advice and reviews on computer parts, and many people base their future purchases on articles from sites like this. An article as strong and as blunt as this one could potentially hurt your sales and your success as a whole, and I just thought I'd inform you of this.

I also made a post on another computer enthusiast forum defending your technology (LINK) and trying to support you as much as I can. I hate to see great companies hurt by biased articles such as these.

Thank you.

Antonio

Dear Tony,

Thank you for this email, it is appreciated.

Products using our technology just got two additional awards this week.

See below.

Thank you again and indeed we will take action on this while the technology matures and
we continue to improve our products and drivers.

All the best,

Offir

From UK: http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/3591...d.html?start=7

Final words. I don't think you'll ever find another motherboard that offers so much in terms of features, performance and price.
Only its bigger brother the MSI Big Bang-Fuzion offers more .... but then, so does the price.

I have to say, the MSI P55A-Fuzion motherboard is one of the best motherboards we've tested to date. And this is one of those rare occasions,
where we give a product our Funky Kit score of 10/10 for outstanding value. Well done MSI !

SCORE

10/10

"Outstanding Value"

This means two things. The MSI 870A Fuzion Power Edition is able to offer class leading performance but also at a price that is more in line with midrange choices.

It is rare that this tends to happen and with this in mind, we are proud to issue the board the OC3D Gold and Value for Money awards. Well done MSI

The Good
- Anticipated Price Tag
- Class leading overclocking ability
- Board layout
- Lucid Hydra performs very well
- Automated Overclocking Feature

The Mediocre
- None

The Bad
- None

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...usive_review/8

Basically, go for the 870 Fuzion if you have two cards you want to try Lucid Hydra out with. Newegg even has one open box for only 104 USD plus shipping.

MSI also has a great RMA service, their turnaround time is only 2-3 days. I've dealt with their tech support and it's top notch. One of the guys there actually knew me and offered to have me send my motherboard directly to him so he could flash my bios for me (I didn't have a chip to do so with).

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thats amazing
. And yes that article was complete bull, only one benchmark? Crysis at that which has the worst SLI/crossfire scaling I've ever seen. I think I might try pairing my 5770 with an 8800GT

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hater's, Hater's. I think its a great idea, and it seem's to be a good keep it simple board. I just wish I could find a post about chip-set liquid cooling. Tried there forum to get dimensions screw to screw measured from center of hole. Kinda got blown off, or what it seem's. If anyone has the 411 it would be appreciated. Then if anyone has the stats running with 6870, trying to plan future build.

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
I haz Lucid, and I love it. I will say I don't like how my cable management got screwed by a random Molex straight to the heart of my board, but I could totally run a 480 + 5870
, it was just a test though.

Vantage score was ~28730 with the two. I only get ~25500 with two 5870s so there was a definite performance b00st over native CrossfireX.

I wish I had a keeper. Oh well, I will be in tri-fire in a week.

Red is right, that review sucked so bad. Not to mention Lucid has its own drivers updated monthly. There is massive performance difference from launch day to today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts