Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a Bios for my 990FXA Gaming Motherboard for FX-9590 that I can at least turn off Turbo Clock and It would be really nice to at least be able to set a stable voltage....

V1.4 of the MSI Bios doesn't let you do any of these things...

Any help would be amazing!

BTW I'm not really looking to overclock just want to keep the thing from crashing without having to buy a better motherboard

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
So you're saying there is no "AMD Turbo Core Technology" option (above the memory speed setting) available in bios?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman13 View Post

I need a Bios for my 990FXA Gaming Motherboard for FX-9590 that I can at least turn off Turbo Clock and It would be really nice to at least be able to set a stable voltage....

V1.4 of the MSI Bios doesn't let you do any of these things...

Any help would be amazing!

BTW I'm not really looking to overclock just want to keep the thing from crashing without having to buy a better motherboard
The MSI 990 Gaming locks the voltages to no more than the stock VID on the 9000 series FX's in the bios
Once you are in windows, you can use control center to add offset voltage if necessary but if turbo is enabled it tends to overvolt - so take it one step at a time.

It should let you disable turbo however, not sure why it's not letting you change that..

Fill out your system specs in a signature, it will be quite helpful
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I didn't know that I could do anything in Control Center that I couldn't do in Bios so I will have to play with that.

But Yes, The Turbo Core option is there but Greyed out. I would like to Disable it but I can't...

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Quote:

Ok, I didn't know that I could do anything in Control Center that I couldn't do in Bios so I will have to play with that.

But Yes, The Turbo Core option is there but Greyed out. I would like to Disable it but I can't...
In that case I would just set the multiplier to 23.5 in bios and flesh out the overclock using control center. Be very mindful of voltages and temps , keep good airflow over the socket and vrm areas.

People have had troubles with the 9590's even on boards that cost nearly 2x what the 990 gaming does, it takes a very good supporting cast in order to work properly as well.

I'd like to know what you are running for a case, psu and cooling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I used Command Center and turned the voltage from 1.44 to 1.48 and it seems to be stable now. It also appears that even though Turbo Technology is Enabled it does not do anything. The maximum clock under Firestrike Benchmark was 4.7ghz. I do have to say I am quite disappointed in the performance of my system but oh well...

Anyways, thanks for the help! I think I am running stable enough now.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Quote:

So I used Command Center and turned the voltage from 1.44 to 1.48 and it seems to be stable now. It also appears that even though Turbo Technology is Enabled it does not do anything. The maximum clock under Firestrike Benchmark was 4.7ghz. I do have to say I am quite disappointed in the performance of my system but oh well...

Anyways, thanks for the help! I think I am running stable enough now.
Firestrike has a very strong anti- AMD FX bias built into it, almost laughable once you understand what has been done to make it so.

I have a 4790K @ 4.8 ghz which can score quite a bit better on firestrike , but I honestly prefer to play games on my FX systems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same board with a binned 9370.Has same problem with turbo core but in bios it also says the 9 series are not supported with that function.Board has always been flaky,especially how hot the vram gets even force fed cold air.It hates memory.Since i built it out of spare parts the corsair 110i will go to 3rd computer and who knows.Anyone want a great price on that board with the 9370 and windows 10 64 bit?....Really though this board just cant handle the 9 series.the 990fxa gd80 that i have is much better.Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENTDEATH316 View Post

I have the same board with a binned 9370.Has same problem with turbo core but in bios it also says the 9 series are not supported with that function.Board has always been flaky,especially how hot the vram gets even force fed cold air.It hates memory.Since i built it out of spare parts the corsair 110i will go to 3rd computer and who knows.Anyone want a great price on that board with the 9370 and windows 10 64 bit?....Really though this board just cant handle the 9 series.the 990fxa gd80 that i have is much better.Good luck
Are you running the latest bios?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

People have had troubles with the 9590's even on boards that cost nearly 2x what the 990 gaming does, it takes a very good supporting cast in order to work properly as well.
I have 990ud7 and it struggles to handle a 9370 custom loop at 1.424V. With fans blowing on vrms etc and cpu temps below 48C, the vrms overheats and I hit thermal protection.

Guys if you download click bios, you may be able to increace voltage further or disable turbo core, if the 990 gaming has click bios avalbile

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will check first thing in the morning .Just downloaded one maybe a few months ago.How fast time goes by.The only problem i have had out of MSI Mobo's is the 990fxa gaming.I had a BE8350 in it and it worked better.Still flaky with memory.I only use ripjaws,sniper some r9 AMD(i know the timings)corsair.Just happens to be what i have.Im not to fond of MSI update program,prefer to pick and choose but it does catch some things i miss just do not like having any auto updates running until the bugs are worked out of the software.

THANKS

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok this is for my cpu support since a lot of whats out there isnt fully clear. and im sure its been talked about before but here it is again. i upgraded my cpu from a 8120amd to the 9370amd so i went from my 990fxa-gd80v2 witch i love this board ive put it through a lot and it keeps going to the 990fxa gaming. well now i cant do crap with oc with this cpu cuz of the mobo. i have not tried going back to my old board but im thinking about it. would my old board be better here are my specs btw. dont want to take everything apart and put it all back together for nothing.

Msi 990fxa-gaming
Amd 9370
16gb 4x4 gskillz ripjaws 1866
kingston predator pcie ssd
samsung evo ssd
wd 2tb blue hdd
evga 6gb 1060 gtx
win 10
corsair hydro series h100i v2 extream
4x 120 notuca nf-f12 industrialppc
viotek 850watt psu

needless to say cant change cpu ratio with 990-gaming and turbo can do anything with cant underclock or do that sort of stuff. am i better off going back to my old board and will it allow me to change the ratio us turbo and stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechN9neTwiztid View Post

ok this is for my cpu support since a lot of whats out there isnt fully clear. and im sure its been talked about before but here it is again. i upgraded my cpu from a 8120amd to the 9370amd so i went from my 990fxa-gd80v2 witch i love this board ive put it through a lot and it keeps going to the 990fxa gaming. well now i cant do crap with oc with this cpu cuz of the mobo. i have not tried going back to my old board but im thinking about it. would my old board be better here are my specs btw. dont want to take everything apart and put it all back together for nothing.

Msi 990fxa-gaming
Amd 9370
16gb 4x4 gskillz ripjaws 1866
kingston predator pcie ssd
samsung evo ssd
wd 2tb blue hdd
evga 6gb 1060 gtx
win 10
corsair hydro series h100i v2 extream
4x 120 notuca nf-f12 industrialppc
viotek 850watt psu

needless to say cant change cpu ratio with 990-gaming and turbo can do anything with cant underclock or do that sort of stuff. am i better off going back to my old board and will it allow me to change the ratio us turbo and stuff.
You can still change those values in windows using MSI's overclocking utility - you may have to disable cpu smart protection in bios to do so and maintain stability with the 9XXX chips. Make sure you have a fan pointing directly at the vrm area and you should be fine. If you use the windows overclocking utility, you will have to re-apply the settings at subsequent reboots, so I recommend putting it to sleep instead of shutting it off.
The board is capable of maxxing out your cooling on the chip you have , just make sure you have good airflow over the socket vrms.

GD-80 is probably my favorite am3+ board, but the 990 gaming has some advantages it doesn't - better onboard sound - better onboard lan and improved ram clocking abilities.
edit; how do you like your predator? Thinking of trying one myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts