Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using 13.12 atm and have overdrive turned off in catalyst and when i use afterburner beta 18 version to overclock the power limit +50% or any number does not work.
I don't want to use 14.2beta yet it seems real buggy. waiting for WHQL driver end of month.

I did check out the option settings and it seems to be set right, but please do tell if you know how to fix this. i can double check.

i can tell that 50% extra power does not work, because as soon as i go into any 3d application that creates 100% load it throttles down. At 1100 overclock it throttles to about 1050 and 850 for example. Card seems to not get enough power.
If i don't use afterburner and just overclock from AMD CCC driver menu and try the same clocks it works at a steady 1100mhz no downclocking, but i need afterburner for +100mv over voltage. With CCC i cant overvolt or undervolt
How do i fix this?

PROBLEM GOT SOLVED. HERE IS HOW thanks to Falkentyne
There is a setting in MSI afterburner toward the bottom UNOFFICIAL OVERCLOCKING MODE set either to WITH powerplay support or DISABLE.

If you have without powerplay support selected you can use power limit slider, but it will not work essentially staying at 0 at whatever number you set it to.

·
Facepalm
10,723 Posts
You can NOT use the power limit slider if you are using unofficial overclocking mode "without powerplay support."
Also, using without powerplay support causes the clocks to be frozen in full 3D clocks, at idle.

If you use without powerplay support, after you set your clocks and voltages in AB, you need to go into overdrive, ENABLE overdrive and change the power limit there. Then it works.

If you DISABLE unofficial overdrive, powerlimit will work in AB just fine.

BTW there is a bug in AB 18:
if you set the clocks then change to unofficial overclocking mode without PP, it actually causes the MINIMUM clocks to be your current clocks and you cant go any lower on it. Even if you set it back to disabled, it REMAINS at those clocks being the lowest clocks you can set, until you restart the computer.

• Rep+
Reactions: Germanian

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
omg dude. I am so dumb thanks for your help.
I just saw that setting to switch to WITH powerplay support. Let me try it.

·
Facepalm
10,723 Posts
Setting UOC with powerplay support wont work. AMD removed the ADL libraries over a year ago (almost 2 years ago now) which stopped Ati tray tools and unofficial overclocking w/powerplay (idle downclocking) from working with the 7970''s. For a few driver versions, you could put the older versions of the files in and it would work again, but eventually that stopped to.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post

Setting UOC with powerplay support wont work. AMD removed the ADL libraries over a year ago (almost 2 years ago now) which stopped Ati tray tools and unofficial overclocking w/powerplay (idle downclocking) from working with the 7970''s. For a few driver versions, you could put the older versions of the files in and it would work again, but eventually that stopped to.
Pls read how to thread from my sig.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can someone confirm what's the latest on this.

i have a r290x on its way and would like to know if the Afterburner's power limit will work with 290x properly. i would very much like to stick with AB if possible and not have to use Sapphire Trixx.

thanks

·
Premium Member
20,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

Can someone confirm what's the latest on this.

i have a r290x on its way and would like to know if the Afterburner's power limit will work with 290x properly. i would very much like to stick with AB if possible and not have to use Sapphire Trixx.

thanks
afaik, its fine. Follow this thread . . .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread

BTW, you necroed this thread.
redface.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts