Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a issue with this for about a year, and I can not figure it out ( well I think I have but I need more advice ) this normally happens only during gaming.. So here is the specs of my rig first

R7 2700x
B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ( Bios Updated )
32GB Geil EVO X II ( 3000Mhz ) ( 8GB x 4 )
Red Devil 5700XT ( Bios mode OC ) ( Updated Drivers )
Enermax D.F. 1200W

Now, this has started since day one of owning this board ( the board was the first that was bought so keep this in mind ) under certain loads mostly gaming the system literally shuts down with the CPU FAILED debug light on, normally the only way to get the system to recover is by shutting it down and rebooting the system.. Well its been awhile since this has happened and I thought maybe this had corrected itself, but I was wrong. Today I decided to play Vermintide II with a friend first game no issues, second game is when it happened but this time different then before. I powered it down by turning off the power supply, waited 5 minutes turned the power supply back on hit the power button and my RGB light on the CPU cooler barely lit up nothing else came on. I checked the power supply not hot by any means no weird smells as if anything has burned up.. after 5 minutes of messing with it. It finally powered back up. So I went into event viewer and I recieved a critical like I normally do of ( in this order ) this was recieved 15 times before the critical error (Error) Kernel-EventTracing 2,(Critical) Kernal-Power 41 (63)

All drivers are update including the BIOS, is this a motherboard issue or something else ?

9 Cans of Ravioli
unfortunately fondling the PSU and seeing ID 41 in Event Viewer isn't exactly strong enough diagnosing work for anyone to know 馃檭

all Kernal-Power 41 means is the system shut down without powering down properly, and Event 2 Kernel-Event Tracing error has a lot of causes but it's unlikely related to your problem. I've had 8 in the past week, from either PerfDiag Logger or Microsoft.Windows.Remediation. Just filter it out if you're getting that many of them.

could be a motherboard problem but it sounds more like a power supply issue to me. hard to troubleshoot either without spare parts to swap in.

All drivers are update including the BIOS
when did you update the BIOS?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately fondling the PSU and seeing ID 41 in Event Viewer isn't exactly strong enough diagnosing work for anyone to know 馃檭

all Kernal-Power 41 means is the system shut down without powering down properly, and Event 2 Kernel-Event Tracing error has a lot of causes but it's unlikely related to your problem. I've had 8 in the past week, from either PerfDiag Logger or Microsoft.Windows.Remediation. Just filter it out if you're getting that many of them.

could be a motherboard problem but it sounds more like a power supply issue to me. hard to troubleshoot either without spare parts to swap in.

when did you update the BIOS?
Well allow me to go into somewhat further detail, I purchased a pre-built was NOT happy with the knock off parts.. First thing I did was replace the motherboard which is the one I have now.. so at that point in time it was still pre-built ran the everything else that came with the unit Adata ram and their power supply which was a 600 or so this problem still occured even with those parts ( please note the system was running fine BEFORE motherboard change.. But I did have a slight issue with the CPU swap.. as I was trying to get the AIO block off it actually took the CPU out of the socket in a LOCKED state.. I did check the pins for any damage but seen none ( I used a magnifying glass and spent a good 2 hours looking at it ) but I am not ruling out a CPU but just find it odd it all started when I purchased this board which also I might add was a OPEN BOX purchase from Amazon..

I just now updated to the beta BIOS MSi offers for this board.. and am stressing everything but as of now no issues

High IQ Person
You're runnig 4x8, have you tweaked voltages and bios settings to stabileze that, or just xmp? Run TM5 and see if you have any memory error.

Tbh I have no idea why you bought a 1200W psu for that build lol, it could also be the cause, but looks like a good unit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're runnig 4x8, have you tweaked voltages and bios settings to stabileze that, or just xmp? Run TM5 and see if you have any memory error.

Tbh I have no idea why you bought a 1200W psu for that build lol, it could also be the cause, but looks like a good unit.
No I haven't didnt know I needed to do that cause I use XMP of 2933mhz...

And I went 1200w for later upgrades and the price was good at 140

High IQ Person
No I haven't didnt know I needed to do that cause I use XMP of 2933mhz...

And I went 1200w for later upgrades and the price was good at 140
4 stick are more heavy on the IMC, run TM5, if you got some errors, set SOC to 1.025/1.050 and cLDO VDDP 1.050, should help

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 stick are more heavy on the IMC, run TM5, if you got some errors, set SOC to 1.025/1.050 and cLDO VDDP 1.050, should help
Ok will run that, but this also occured using the prebuilt Adata 2666mhz 2x8... Then at first I upgraded to 2x8 on the Evo X II.. So this is where I start going brain dead or thinking its a problem with the motherboard or cpu..

Now lastnight I ran Heaven Bench for an hour nothing happen, ran Radeon Stress test for about 2 hours nothing happen there used CPU-Z stress test for about 3 hours nothing then went as far as using 3DMark till morning still no issue..

BUT I have noticed something odd, in Ryzen Master my EDC is pegged 100% and always max core pushing around 141/150A.. Now I tried to change the power plan in windows it was set to the Ryzen Balanced but If I tried changing it to just recommended balance it would just switch back to the Ryzen setting ( so I just edited the settings within that profile and lowered the CPU power from 90% to 5%..

Now also please keep this in mind, if I do try any overclock no matter how mild weather its GPU or CPU I will also get this issue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok ran TM5 had no error's what so ever with memory

9 Cans of Ravioli
RAM makes zero sense for your problem in the first place, lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RAM makes zero sense for your problem in the first place, lol.
At this point I am trying everything that I havent tried

I.E Windows Reinstall, Re-Seat CPU, and Ram have all been done

High IQ Person
Tbh, if everything is running stock, I have no other idea on what could it be... In theory either the PSU is gone, but is a good unit, or the 2700X doesn't get enought voltages, but still strange at stock

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well looks like I may just have to try another board so at this point if I do that and its still doing it either PSU or CPU

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I was told to run a program called Linpack Xtreme.. Now after running this program I show a GPU debug light on the motherboard, for about 2 minutes before I get the MSI logo. Rebooted multiple times the last time I tried enter BIOS and the entire UI is lagged something awful.. So could this be a board issue after all ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the triple posting, but some updates here..

With the Bios being all lagged out I decided to power the unit off completely waited about 5 minutes, hit the power button I would hear a click, my light from my AIO pump lit up but nothing, finally after turning the main switch of the power supply off and on multiple times it finally came alive again.. and yes no more laggy BIOS screen or log GPU debug light.. I am beginning to pull my hair out here

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Screen shots of Temps and Voltage during a stress test maybe this will help?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys really need some insight here.. due to the fact that apparently my old power supply ( which I might add was only 8 months old ) was very loose in its 12V timings.. and the only reason we figured this out was because of running a stress test to figure out what weather or not my related issue ( which is in this thread ) was either a motherboard or power issue or something else.. I was using a program called LinpackXtreme.. Ran this program multiple times with the old PSU passed with flying colors.. Now with the new PSU a Corsair RM1000X, my first test failed.. Here is a screenshot of HWinfo to see if anyone can point out something I have missed

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It now seems to happen more with a Riser cable installed... Trying to give all the info here but not really getting any feesback?

So anyone know what I should try to do? Or is this a motherboard issue?

Senior OCN Member
Your old PSU is multi rail with 12v rails rated for 25 amps and the other two for 40 amps so there was probably nothing wrong with your old PSU you probably just triggered the OCP

Also the Corsair RMx runs very hot due to the fan profile being too relaxed so the Super Flower Leadex III or a Seasonic Focus or Prime would have been a far better option

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your old PSU is multi rail with 12v rails rated for 25 amps and the other two for 40 amps so there was probably nothing wrong with your old PSU you probably just triggered the OCP

Also the Corsair RMx runs very hot due to the fan profile being too relaxed so the Super Flower Leadex III or a Seasonic Focus or Prime would have been a far better option
Well, even with the new PSU I am still getting this CPU fail light, so I am in agreement that my old PSU wasn't the culprit, but I am still very much confused on to what is causing the issue.. also the reason the PSU was replaced because the 12V under stress was dropping to around 11.704v while this PSU is staying stable at 12.0V and back to 12.096V

Also I was on a tight budget, I found this PSU for 80 bucks unopened

1 - 19 of 19 Posts