Overclock.net banner
1741 - 1760 of 1785 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote from Wccftech, not much really,

The AMD AGESA 1.2.0.3 Patch B BIOS Firmware also extends support to the Ryzen 5000G APUs (Cezanne) and Ryzen 5000 CPUs (Vermeer B2 Stepping). One of the key features of the Patch B BIOS is that it resolves all USB issues that users have been facing on Ryzen 5000 systems.

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
Can't deny the comments, but only agree
USB dropouts where never fixed and couldn't be, when this is no 1203B (A, B sheme again)

"They where the first to announce 1203B support, which was confirmed by their CEO"
~ can also agree, building a house on lies makes the whole building crash, once fake foundations are discovered

It's unfortunate, but appears contineous & common company practice
They don't need this fakeness, why do they still keep insisting on such business practices

It's sad that still nobody really is pushing out pure 1203B, while removing all traces of 1200 or "no so broken 1191 & 1201"
But lying, is worse than making users update life harder

Lying and making your userbase looks like blind donkeys, is not a good practice
Yet seems to be common sense on their business policy, repeating over and over again
~ just agreeing with the reddit comments here, can't deny anything people mention there :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kind of off topic but while we are discussing agesa stuff anyone else think this move to B2 stepping for 5000 and what appears to be a weird X570S launch is AMD basically saying the usb dropout issue is a hardware level issue that software can't fix?

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Kind of off topic but while we are discussing agesa stuff anyone else think this move to B2 stepping for 5000 and what appears to be a weird X570S launch is AMD basically saying the usb dropout issue is a hardware level issue that software can't fix?
Doubtful. The X570S is simply a lower power chipset designed for passive cooling and the B stepping is supposed to be from a different fab to increase supply.

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
Unlikely
Considering new year will get interesting for AMD, everything is running according to plan
There are other board issues. USB dropouts being a firmware thing

Everything is running butter smooth for them, its just a signal integrity and silicon/cost choice going with a passive chipset
See X470
Just that X470 got a flash upgrade
5xxS will be an I/O upgrade to cover USB 4.0/TB4, mainstream 2.5gbit ethernet (killer&dragon)
And a subtle VRM upgrade from most of the 50A Vishay Mosfets + HDMI 2.1 for the APUs on 5th, of August
Nothing exceptional, just setting in stone the last AM4 Board as rememberable achievement :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently built my first AMD platform PC and I completely don't understand OCing it compared to Intel. I have MEG B550 Unify-X with updated BIOS and Ryzen 5950X. In Ryzen Master I have set all cores to 4400MHz at 1.2125V core. It is stable and HWMonitor shows a max voltage drawn of 1.212V. Temps are low 60s when gaming and mid 70s during the Cinebench R23 test. AMD Ryzen Master monitoring says the same. I am very happy with these results but enabling Ryzen master every reboots is terrible.

Surprisingly I cannot get even close results when using OC in BIOS. When I set 4400MHz all cores and the closest possible voltage to 1.2125V, it goes really hot. HWMonitor and Ryzen Master show much higher (around 1.4V) current drawn and the CPU instantly gets 90+ degrees. I don't use LLC. When I try lowering the voltage in BIOS, strange things happen. I tried lowering it by 0.1V. Reading from sensors is 1.3V then and temps are 10 degrees higher than ones when using Ryzen Master OC. Also, my PC is extremely unstable. It crashes after a few seconds of the Cinebench test. I don't get it. I Provided a higher voltage from BIOS than one from the Ryzen Master setting and it is unstable. Why 1.2V from Ryzen Master is cool and stable while 1.3V from BIOS is hot and unstable? Am I missing something?

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
lso, my PC is extremely unstable. It crashes after a few seconds of the Cinebench test. I don't get it. I Provided a higher voltage from BIOS than one from the Ryzen Master setting and it is unstable. Why 1.2V from Ryzen Master is cool and stable while 1.3V from BIOS is hot and unstable? Am I missing something?
If the per CCX voltage option in the bios sets the "load" voltage, which you have to factor on LLC
then it will be dynamic. If it sets VID for example. But the bios description will say what it sets

Generally more voltage = worse results
Beyond 1.3v under specific usecases and thermal constrains can be degrading - depends
some AVX2 loads require a droop to 1.18v , some SSE FMA loads push it up to 1.35-1.36

Generally running an allcore is not optimal
But for your target, you want to "override" v-core, at best from the VRM side of things & not from the VID side of things
there is a difference between overriding "requested voltage VID" vs "overriding what VRM can provide"

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hi all,

I have recently built my first AMD platform PC and I completely don't understand OCing it compared to Intel. I have MEG B550 Unify-X with updated BIOS and Ryzen 5950X. In Ryzen Master I have set all cores to 4400MHz at 1.2125V core. It is stable and HWMonitor shows a max voltage drawn of 1.212V. Temps are low 60s when gaming and mid 70s during the Cinebench R23 test. AMD Ryzen Master monitoring says the same. I am very happy with these results but enabling Ryzen master every reboots is terrible.

Surprisingly I cannot get even close results when using OC in BIOS. When I set 4400MHz all cores and the closest possible voltage to 1.2125V, it goes really hot. HWMonitor and Ryzen Master show much higher (around 1.4V) current drawn and the CPU instantly gets 90+ degrees. I don't use LLC. When I try lowering the voltage in BIOS, strange things happen. I tried lowering it by 0.1V. Reading from sensors is 1.3V then and temps are 10 degrees higher than ones when using Ryzen Master OC. Also, my PC is extremely unstable. It crashes after a few seconds of the Cinebench test. I don't get it. I Provided a higher voltage from BIOS than one from the Ryzen Master setting and it is unstable. Why 1.2V from Ryzen Master is cool and stable while 1.3V from BIOS is hot and unstable? Am I missing something?
Please first uninstall ryzen master and reboot the PC two times.

On the second reboot shutdown the PC and reset the CMOS/BIOS.

Boot the PC and now try to set your overclock. Only change the multiplier and the CPU vcore to what you want.

Report back

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Veii @mongoled Thanks both!

I removed Ryzen Master, rebooted, cleared CMOS and apparently, BIOS now does what I ask for. When I set 1.2V it reads ~1.2V in HWMonitor. After some testing, I have decent results for 1.0750V vcore override + 0.0875V offset. HWMonitor shows 1.144-1.162V and Cinebench passes without crashing. Temps are 80°C during Cinebench and 45-48°C when playing Witcher III. This is when my Fractal Define 7 doors are closed with the hard top installed. I am cooling my 5950X with Noctua NH-D15S.

I think this is not bad but of curiosity, I reverted back to Auto in BIOS and used Ryzen Master again. I used the simple view and just put back 1.2125V, 4400MHz. HWMonitor shows 1.212V which makes sense. But I have observed that when I start the Cinebench, voltages go down to 1.112V and only occasionally go up to 1.2V. This makes power draw significantly lower (195W -> 175W) and temps better (80°C -> 75°C) maintaining PC stable. Any idea if I can achieve such behaviour using BIOS features?

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
I have decent results for 1.0750V vcore override + 0.0875V offset. HWMonitor shows 1.144-1.162V and Cinebench passes without crashing. Temps are 80°C during Cinebench and 45-48°C when playing Witcher III. This is when my Fractal Define 7 doors are closed with the hard top installed. I am cooling my 5950X with Noctua NH-D15S.
Grab y-cruncher, y-cruncher - A Multi-Threaded Pi Program
Open the .bat , press 1-7-0
let all 9 tests loop for 4 loops , (it will get hot)
if this passes ~ you are good to go :)

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
For Windows 11 I just enable the built-in TPM module in the BIOS, right?

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
For Windows 11 I just enable the built-in TPM module in the BIOS, right?
And secure boot
You can disable both later after installation
Please show me an Aida64 screenshot, because L3 seems to get a big hit ~ yet games nor benchmarks show this "bad" performance
There is no difference i can find bettween fTPM on and off
Nor any difference between Send to SPI TPM or LCP TPM (typing error?)

Did you get "my" Optimize-Offline iso of ProWorkstation

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
And secure boot
You can disable both later after installation
Please show me an Aida64 screenshot, because L3 seems to get a big hit ~ yet games nor benchmarks show this "bad" performance
There is no difference i can find bettween fTPM on and off
Nor any difference between Send to SPI TPM or LCP TPM (typing error?)

Did you get "my" Optimize-Offline iso of ProWorkstation
Yes, as soon as MSI fixes/replaces my motherboard. On the newer BIOS's flashrom bricks the board so bad even BIOS Flashback not working.

They have the board at their repair centre a week ago Friday, hoping to have it back by end of this week.

I guess I could have gotten a USB BIOS programmer but they all seem to come from China and takes forever to get them. :(

Edit: I can always make my own ISO if I want, know the best way to do Pro For Workstations for Optimize Offline.

Is there any improvement with it over Enterprise?

·
Overclock the World
2,969 Posts
Edit: I can always make my own ISO if I want, know the best way to do Pro For Workstations for Optimize Offline.

Is there any improvement with it over Enterprise?
You can follow these screenshots for what to wipe
There is no online account requirement with 11 ~ unlike what many youtubers tell
But also note 2 things:
  • BCD bootloader is acting different. Unplug your not used windows 10 drive, else the bootloader will jump drives | Or just go with it ontop of Win10, but you will need to fix the sorting order by yourself later
  • You manually need to wipe the revision check from optimize-offline
But the post explains both things well

I only always have to disable DeveloperMode in Optimize-Offline
Wpd also works flawlessly after installation, (tho first sophia-script) then blackviper-script + disabling SysMain again (enabling WLAN Autoconfig for WiFi) & then finishing it off with Wpd App

Enterprise vs ProWorkstation,
I don't quite know
As an individual or for past clients, getting enterpise keys was more than painful.
High-Range Broadcasters could pass through, but normal individuals got easier to cheap ProWorkstation keys

The thread-sheduler seems to be different on ProWorkstation & if you get good results with enterprise or Pro, then the thread sheduler is still broken
But i prefer now ProWorkstation for any setup away from Pro
Keys cost 18-20$ more, but i haven't had negative experiences
As for me in person, i can pick morally what i'd want to run
A.) buy a legit key and bind it to my microsoft account. B.) Just be my own license server and generate it, having no connection with Microsoft

It's that easy via Android Phone, that the decision of A & B for personal usage, is up to my mood and will to support Microsoft

Speaking about supporting microsoft,
First public build was pushed as a Leak, then microsoft updated this leak
Now aparrantly they should stop doing so and we can wait till next year for a beta build
As if it wasn't them who updated the "leaked" version and kept updating it. lol

Nvidia drivers you want 470.25 for WDDM 3.0 support
AMDs chip set drivers do nothing and the thread scheduler is messed up
Someone is to blame, Microsoft optimizing it for upcoming intel units and intentionally throttling AMD
(Well it's broken, idk how to phrase this)
Or AMD messing up layered-kernel virtualization & branch prediction through virtualized pass through and secure boot

Considering tho, AMD marked up strongly their Hyper-V functionality support, has "Pro" units out there, has a huge EPYC lineup with very wide experience in the enterpise and notebooks segment
All rather looks like forced throttling and not really as a "bug"
New microcodes do nothing to support it, soo we'll see
Gaming & benchmarking perf is fine, soo i dont mind the throttle ~ but thread scheduler is certain broken
However intentional it was to begin with ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im still on A.10, because i couldnt get the mem settings stable with A.24 and A.32. View attachment 2515370 Mb A.20 is better than its beta version?
It might be related to GDM option in bios. On A.24 and A.32 GDM is locked and defaults to Disabled (at least for me). Have you tried the current mem timings with Cmd2T set to 2T instead of GDM + 1T?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It might be related to GDM option in bios. On A.24 and A.32 GDM is locked and defaults to Disabled (at least for me). Have you tried the current mem timings with Cmd2T set to 2T instead of GDM + 1T?
I see, didnt know, GDM defaults to disabled on the newer BIOSes, thanks for that. I will try A.32 again with it explicitely enabled, when i have some spare time.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
On newer BIOS's flashrom WILL brick your board so bad even USB Flashback will not work.

See this link to a program that does work and it better and more secure than flashing within the BIOS with MSI.

1741 - 1760 of 1785 Posts