Overclock.net banner
1761 - 1780 of 1785 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello dear Unify-X owners. I am about to join the AMD team, already got all the components (CPU is 5800X), only missing a board. I am thinking about B550 Unify-X or B550 Master. I am interested in memory overclocking only, I don´t care about CPU OC at all if it makes a difference.
Many of you are experienced with both boards, which one would you buy nowadays? Or some other board? Please help me to decide :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello dear Unify-X owners. I am about to join the AMD team, already got all the components (CPU is 5800X), only missing a board. I am thinking about B550 Unify-X or B550 Master. I am interested in memory overclocking only, I don´t care about CPU OC at all if it makes a difference.
Many of you are experienced with both boards, which one would you buy nowadays? Or some other board? Please help me to decide :)
I would go for Unify-X or EVGA X570(S) Dark

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Unify-X has 2 memory slots, so is technically the "best" at memory overclocking. However, you are limited by the two slots if you need a large amount of memory, and having a high density dimm lowers OC potential anyway. So IMO either board is fine. I used the regular Unify when I built my friends PC and it was much more stable than my Gigabyte X570 Master, I was also able to get memory OC dialed in easier, which has been something Gigabyte is the absolute worst at IMO. Stay away from them.
The only real boards I hear people talking about now days is the B550 Unify and the X570 Dark Hero. All boards have their quirks, so just research and decide which set of quirks you can put up with.

The major one for the Unify(x) is VRM coil whine. Most boards seem to have it to varying degrees. The one I got had it a little bit, but with the side panel on the tower and front fans it is not audible because fan noise is higher. But for those that like absolute silence and have no fan noise and the tower is up on their desk with them it seems to be loud enough in a lot of board samples that people are annoyed by it.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Why do people flash the bios in windows? I had always heard that was the least safe way to do things
Cause M-Flash often does not work properly or leaves the BIOS in an unstable state.
Flashrom doesn't work well with the latest releases and seems it's bricking boards.
So the latest AMI flash tool for Windows seems to be the best solution for now.
There's also a DOS version BTW.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Get the B550 Unify (non-X).

It's exactly the same board as the Unify-X but with 4 dimm slots.
As a Unify-X owner, I regret not having 4 dimms so much since buying 2 SR bdie kits is so much cheaper than buying 1 DR bdie kit.

Also, on Zen, 2 dimmers vs 4 dimmers make 0 difference.

I can run the same extremely tight true 1T settings on any AM4 board that I run on my Unify-X.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Cause M-Flash often does not work properly or leaves the BIOS in an unstable state.
Flashrom doesn't work well with the latest releases and seems it's bricking boards.
So the latest AMI flash tool for Windows seems to be the best solution for now.
There's also a DOS version BTW.
From the README.

Aptio V AFU for DOS is no longer being maintained. The last official release was in February 2015, therefore any projects/products created after this time may not flash correctly with Aptio V AFU for DOS. The preferred method available for download from the website is AFU for EFI or Microsoft Windows.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Aptio V AFU for DOS is no longer being maintained. The last official release was in February 2015, therefore any projects/products created after this time may not flash correctly with Aptio V AFU for DOS. The preferred method available for download from the website is AFU for EFI or Microsoft Windows.
Oh yes, didn't noticed it.
There's the EFI version anyway which is even better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since most of the RAM experts are here I'll ask.

What do you think is a difference in bin quality between the 3600 14-15-15-35 and the more recent 3600 14-14-14-34 bin (both at 1.45v)?

Does the latter have a better chance at running 3800C14 under 1.5v?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So besides the usual RAM related topics here I just noticed some strange behaviour of my Unify-X with regards to PCIe 4.0 support.
I am running a WD Black SN850 SSD at 4 lanes and PCIe 4.0 connection speed. So everything how it should be. Today I added an RX6800XT GPU. The GPU "only" runs at PCIe 3.0 speed. It should run at 4.0 speed, though.
I already tried forcing slot 1 at 4.0 speed, but the GPU stays at 3.0. So I tried switching the board layout from chipset mode to CPU mode. And now the GPU runs fine at PCIe 4.0, but of course only with x8 lanes :(
So somehow the GPU refuses tu run at max connection speed.
I could not find much about it online, but at least one user of a B550 Asus board had the same problem - but only when a PCIe 4.0 SSD was installed. The moment he removes the SSD, the GPU runs fine at max settings (x16 4.0).
Has anyone experienced something simliar or knows a solution? Could not find much about it.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
@spectre73 you might have your WD Black nvme in a slot that uses some of those 16 GPU lanes. This would cause the GPU to split because some have to go to the drive.

But it doesnt really matter anyway. PCIE 4.0 @x8 probably has a half a percent or less difference than @16 in cards right now.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Has anyone experienced something simliar or knows a solution?
Does it run at x8 or x16 3.0?

Heard about similar issues.
Also about the SN850 issues with X570.
Does it work properly with B550?
Maybe this one is as well a firmware issue.

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
What do you think is a difference in bin quality between the 3600 14-15-15-35 and the more recent 3600 14-14-14-34 bin (both at 1.45v)?

Does the latter have a better chance at running 3800C14 under 1.5v?
Very likely there's no difference at all.
Small chance it's a better bin.
Is this SR or DR memory?

·
Registered
262 Posts
@spectre you might have your WD Black nvme in a slot that uses some of those 16 GPU lanes. This would cause the GPU to split because some have to go to the drive.

But it doesnt really matter anyway. PCIE 4.0 @x8 probably has a half a percent or less difference than @16 in cards right now.
The B550 chipset is capable of running the first M.2 slot at x4 gen 4 as well as running the GPU in the first PCIe slot at x16 gen 4 simultaneously. The board is configured to NOT use additioonal gen 4 lanes from the 1st PCIe slot to run the other M.2 slots at gen 4 (this is a unique option of the B550 Unify). So I run the board in the so called "chipset" mode.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does it run at x8 or x16 3.0?

Heard about similar issues.
Also about the SN850 issues with X570.
Does it work properly with B550?
Maybe this one is as well a firmware issue.
Interestingly, that changes from boot to boot ........right now it is running at x8 4.0 - after a reboot it has been reported as x16 3.0....without changing a single setting. I even configured the 1st slot as 4.0 and - just to check - as auto. No idea what is going on here....
The WD SN850 just yesterday received a firmware update, but this fixes some issue for running in a chipset powered M.2 slot, not in a CPU powered slot (allegedly).

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
Interestingly, that changes from boot to boot ........right now it is running at x8 4.0 - after a reboot it has been reported as x16 3.0....without changing a single setting.
Maybe there's a signal integrity issue... try cleaning the GPU slot contacts and also be sure it's firmly inserted in.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Maybe there's a signal integrity issue... try cleaning the GPU slot contacts and also be sure it's firmly inserted in.
Does not seem to be the case. I cleaned and reseated the GPU (should have thought of it myself). No change...
So I flashed latest official BIOS A20 (instead of A32) - still no change. I am quite sure that it is no problem of the GPU (because then it would not be able to run at either x16 3.0 or x8 4.0) but still somewhat strange. I know that there is no noticeable performance impact from runnning with lower settings, but that is not the problem here......

·
Old crazy guy
3,327 Posts
So I flashed latest official BIOS A20 (instead of A32) - still no change. I am quite sure that it is no problem of the GPU (because then it would not be able to run at either x16 3.0 or x8 4.0) but still somewhat strange. I know that there is no noticeable performance impact from runnning with lower settings, but that is not the problem here......
Agree, should work as it's supposed to.
Maybe try some very old one, like A0,A10.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Both those kits will do 3800c14 at or below 1.5V
Does not seem to be the case. I cleaned and reseated the GPU (should have thought of it myself). No change...
I have a friend on another discord that RMA'ed his Unify-X because of this problem you're reporting.
I would suggest doing the same.

1761 - 1780 of 1785 Posts