Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this board handle DDR3 2133 out of the box, or do I have to buy 1600 and OC it up to around 2133? I've been doing some digging, and it looks like everyone is running 1600, but thought that might be due to a price-point situation??

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
The motherboard doesn't really matter. It definitely has a high enough divider to reach that.

Since the memory controller is on the CPU, it depends on how good your CPU is and how good you are at tweaking. I would definitely not recommend 2133mhz for 24/7 usage as the voltage for your VTT may be a lot higher than recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, BX80601930 - I7 930 is what i'm looking at picking up. From the sound/look of it 1600 is the way to go..

so if I did grab a "hard" 2133 it would auto-drive the memory controller to push up FSB overvoltage? (VTT.. w/e) ? Or just if I was to manually adjust the 1600

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Unless the memory has an XMP profile, you will have to manually set everything. This includes timings, voltages, frequency, etc... Even if it does have an XMP profile, it will not overclock your CPU when you set it. So if you plan to overclock your CPU you will still have to manually set it unless you want to run your CPU close to stock and the memory at 2133mhz.

1600mhz is fast enough unless you plan to be benching. This will allow you to keep your VTT voltage at a reasonable level, giving you lower temperatures and more headroom to OC.

• Rep+
Reactions: bledcyan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood, had to go do a bit of reading on XMP right quick as I don't remember hearing about it when last I built a system for myself (those I build for others tend to be on the less agressive side).

I'm really thinking I want to go with liquid cooling this time, hoping someone puts out a decent north/south waterblock for the mobo soon.. might drift to the rampage, but would prefer the energy handling of the big bang as I have no intention of going tri-sli.

Thanks again for the information (and for bringing up XMP, hell I-done-learned somethin)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts