Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be an easy question. I still can't believe I'm having to ask it.

I just finished installing the OS and software on a new MSI K8N Neo2 / Athlon 64 3500+ system this evening and can't for the life of me locate a CoreCenter manual. The manual that came with the motherboard only provides minimal info on what it is and how to install it. A lot of the functionality is would appear to be obvious, but not obvious enough. At any rate, I can't seem to locate any sort of tutorial or guide of any sort at MSI online, on the media or anywhere else online for that matter.

Here are a few examples of specific questions I've come up with just this evening.

First, I've got a 92mm tornado on an XP-90 for CPU cooling. The fan stays on full blast and is driving me nuts. I need desperately to enable the CoreCenter cooling feature that idles the fan back at low CPU temperatures. I can't even seem to effect the fan when I put CoreCenter into user mode and move the CPU fan slider down and apply. I've double checked my fan connections to the MB and the fan RPMs are registering in CoreCenter. I suppose I could still have a setup issue.

Second, I'd like to understand how or why the overall speed readings on the center display tend to stay at 201 x 5 = 1004 Mhz while the system is idling. I assume I'm seeing the effects of the power management system dynamically underclocking to save power. My inner child doesn't care about saving power through -- I want it to scream even if all it's doing is running a screen saver!!!

Last, I'd like to understand more about their approach the auto OC function. I triggered it while poking around and it proceeded to inch my FSB up from 200 to 230 before the system froze while it was trying 231. At first I thought it might be designed to back off some after reboot and try something else. Nope. From what I saw, upon the next reboot it seemed to have left the setting the same because the system locked up again almost immediately. Upon the next reboot, it was back down to 200. With a manual I could understand their approach and perhaps not be quite so critical, but it didn't seem very clever to me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
148 Posts
i just got the same MB n i personally think core center is a total piece of crap. as for your first question you should really go into the bios under h/w monitor and enable the smart fan option. second go into your bois and set the cool n quiet crap cuz it slows down your proc to "save energy" heat and its just plan stupid. there ocing feature also sucks it does just what you said bumps the FSB up till the thing crashes and reboots to that last spot before the comp freezes. this is not the way to oc and will never deliver any good results. a better option is to try dynamic ocing in the bois whish is actually a nice feature for the less experienced.
BTW i dont even think the temps are accurate core center either...
anyway!
other then this software i found this to be a great board n mines running quite happily and stable at 260 htt w/ a 3000+ 1.8 @ 2.3.
so good luck n overclock that puppy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts