Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a new computer... First time for SLI... I realized how close the cards are. The upper GPU gets to around 90-92 c and I can't cool the sucker down. The bottom one stays little cooler, but is limited by the computer at around 80c (msi afterburner) it's in a nzxt s340 case... The upper is limited on afterburner too (they're in sync) but even with limitation, it creeps up...

I have a kraken x52 for the cpu so the front fan area is taken. There is one 120 exhaust and I have one 140 fan coming in that will go on top and pull in air which will aim at top of gpu 1. They're both going to be corsair ml.

This must be a common problem amongst sli setup I would think. Only thing I can think of is water cooled GPUs.

Thoughts on helping w cooling?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I wonder if a sidecover fan either blowing right on the GPU's or exhausting air from that area would make any difference?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Lol only water can fix that. Or loud blower reference. That look like a prebuilt system to me. Tbh incase dumping gpus in sli have no business in such a case. You would need another case to even put those cards on water or have very limited rad space for each component.

·
:)
11,145 Posts
Just know that 90c will not harm the card, so you should be fine. While I understand that you want lower temperature, with such a cramped case you do not have many options. You could set the fan speed up on the intake and outtake at the cost of noise.

Personally facing similar, however my case is a bit larger so decided to go with new motherboard that has 2 slots in between instead of current 1slot where temperature on top card goes to about 85-88c max with the overclock applied.
Mind you the motherboard I chose is the X299 Rampage VI Extreme, which is an E-ATX board. Amongst the few I could find with 2 slots in between the GPU's. As it looks like you are using socket 1151, I am unsure if there are any motherboards with 2slot spacing, as it is a platform that I personally have not looked much at because of only 16pcie lanes. Top Asus motherboard for that socket might offer 2slot spacing. However as your case is cramped, you might have to see if you can fit it all properly first.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
nice build but looks like there is no airflow and seeing as how a rad is in the front were normally would be cool air coming in (with just fans) its probably hot as hell in that case. bottom cards heat is just adding to the top cards intake. try leaving that door open and adding a fan to exhaust up top.

·
:)
552 Posts
Open air SLI cards never work well in an enclosed case.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd do massive positive pressure in the front top and bottom with no exhaust fan and the PCIE covers removed. That'll force air through the GPUs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
those poor 1080 ti's can't breathe

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
that build screams cyberpower or ibuypower in which case letting a config go out like that in that case is really not surprising.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
that build screams cyberpower or ibuypower in which case letting a config go out like that in that case is really not surprising.
I didn't want to offend but you're right.
The CLC and the case are going to make it hard to really cool them.
With a case that size I'd expect 2x 140 in the front, 2 140s or 3 120s in the top, a 120/140 exhaust plus 2 120s or 140s in the bottom.
If that were the case I'd turn the top, front and bottom into intake with no exhaust fan to force air from the GPUs to the outside of the case.

The only thing I can think of is use the CLC as an intake with push pull and move the back fan to the top as an intake. The big box thing under the GPUs seems like it actually chokes them off more plus it keeps the PSU from pulling the heat away from the area.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,320 Posts
Recently got a new computer... First time for SLI... I realized how close the cards are. The upper GPU gets to around 90-92 c and I can't cool the sucker down. The bottom one stays little cooler, but is limited by the computer at around 80c (msi afterburner) it's in a nzxt s340 case... The upper is limited on afterburner too (they're in sync) but even with limitation, it creeps up...

I have a kraken x52 for the cpu so the front fan area is taken. There is one 120 exhaust and I have one 140 fan coming in that will go on top and pull in air which will aim at top of gpu 1. They're both going to be corsair ml.

This must be a common problem amongst sli setup I would think. Only thing I can think of is water cooled GPUs.

Thoughts on helping w cooling?

I had a setup like that before I picked up my 1080ti aios and I just used a lot of fans. Here's a pic for ideas. Odd fans were the one on the outside of the gpus to pull air out, and I found some little ones that tucked into the front of the gpus themselves. I was able to crank the volts so high on modded bioses that the things would artifact, and they still ran in the upper 70s so long as I kept the door to my room open and had a fan blowing in. Of course I turned the volts back a bit, and the fans were loud (bunch were hooked up to my case's fan controller switch so I could quickly manually control them). But some fans should help.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you really need your second 1080 ti? I would honestly sell it and keep the money until the next generation comes.

Otherwise I would remove the cable management bar and do a push pull on the radiator.

Get powerful fans too like ML120s, NF F12, EK Vardars, or etc. Then buy a sound insulating headset.

Another neat idea ive seen is to use a mesh that replaces your glass panel

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,320 Posts
I can't. I have a LCD screen case

I didn't read you had an lcd case. My first idea is too ugly for that. Have you tried setting up afterburner voltage curves so your gpus max out at 800mv and 900mv? There is a good explanation on how to do it in the 1080ti club thread and running lower volts should help with temps. One of my cards is pretty mediocre so it only does 1660 at 800mv and 1850 at 900mv but that is still way faster than single card. You can always take more extreme measures if you want.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'd do push/pull on the front AIO rad so you get as much air in as possible, even though it is being warmed by the rad it is still going to be cooler than the hot air circulating in the case from those GPU's, I would also make the top 140 fan you have coming an exhaust fan to get as much of that heat being dumped by the GPU's out of the case as possible. With the push/pull on the front rad you should get a bit more air pressure blowing cooler air into the limited space the top GPU fans have

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Having an exhaust fan will just make a low pressure spot there, meaning all that air coming in is just going to flow towards the exhaust fan. Another way to think of it is the exhaust fan will rob the GPUs of the cool air that should be pushed out the back.
Positive pressure from the front and top (assuming the bottom is covered) will force air out of the back of the case. Removing the PCIE covers will make that flow easier.
The only way to get heat out of a tight situation like that is to simply make the case have more pressure in it than your room does. All the GPU heat will be pushed out of the case if you do that.

RePasting the cards will help and so will reducing voltage as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Return it to cyberpower or wherever. Build your own with a well ventilated case or have them change the case. I really dont get why they would send you that setup in that case and not expect it to overheat.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If your GPU is running at 90°C what temp are the VRM's are at? 110°? 120°? I hope not. Neither of those cards are getting decent airflow. The bottom card is just recycling its own heated air.
My 1080Ti gets driver resets at ~70°C but that's mainly because I'm overclocking it at 1.125V.

Maybe you could try reducing the core clocks of both cards and the core voltage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Return it to cyberpower or wherever. Build your own with a well ventilated case or have them change the case. I really dont get why they would send you that setup in that case and not expect it to overheat.
Brother, When I got this thing, the GPU prices were out the hoohaa. If I built it myself, I would have spent at least 400 more (I priced it out in another thread here). It was actuallky cheaper this way, with this lcd screen.

I can't return it. I gotta fix what I got.

Reason I have 2 1080tis is because when I'm not gaming, it was supposed to mine on nicehash. That's how I sold the idea to my wife... "hey hun, this thing can make us money when I'm not using it! It'll pay itself back in no time!"

So I called them today and told them what was going on... They xfer me to tech support and the guy is like, yeah why would you do that. That won't work well. I told them why on earth they are selling this setup then if it won't work... He said he's just tech support. Then I talked to cust support and he said, yeah nothing we can do. Sorry.... lol

I have the parts, and worst case I can just buy my own large case, but I'd really like to make it work with the SLIs in here. I might just buy the custom loop setup soon. I guess I like the challenge of making it work.

how does this benchmark look?

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/3555601

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't read you had an lcd case. My first idea is too ugly for that. Have you tried setting up afterburner voltage curves so your gpus max out at 800mv and 900mv? There is a good explanation on how to do it in the 1080ti club thread and running lower volts should help with temps. One of my cards is pretty mediocre so it only does 1660 at 800mv and 1850 at 900mv but that is still way faster than single card. You can always take more extreme measures if you want.
That's something I'd be willing to try. I have to find the thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts