Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i'm planning on buying a new laptop to play some games on; LoL, WoW, etc ..
I've been reccomended the MSI GE70; http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GE70-2OE-254UK-17-3-inch-Bluetooth/dp/B00H80Q9D2/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1394533947&sr=1-3&keywords=msi+ge70

Now, i've seen some threads about it becomming really hot when it's used for gaming for a few hours, is this true?
If so i might consider buying this one; http://www.amazon.co.uk/G750JW-T4091H-17-3-inch-i7-4700HQ-Processor-Geforce/dp/B00GKG1OXA/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1394533864&sr=1-4&keywords=msi+ge70

Do any of you own this Asus or have experiences with it?Is this a good laptop? mainly for wow.

Greetings

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out this thread since it adds the Samsung to the list of options, but also gives my take on the G750JX (one model up from the JW):
http://www.overclock.net/t/1467092/asus-rog-g750-or-samsung-ativ-book-8/0_100

All I can say is I love my G750, and last night I had a 3hr WoW session with a good friend of mine and it never felt warm while on my lap the entire time. If you are looking for the best cooling with the least noise the Asus is where you need to look, however that comes at the cost of a very large chassis which was talked about in the linked thread. Where most laptop chassis end where the screen connects to the keyboard section, the G750 has about a 2" overhang which houses the cooling system, so instead of a 17.3" screen chassis it is more like a 19" screen laptop.

I paid $1500 at microcenter for the JX (Nvidia 770m), added a Samsung 840pro for $200ish, and this thing has maxed or near maxed every game I've put on it. I use it every single day at work and it has never given me any issues until the recent gpu driver update which now causes my gpu OC to crash every once in a while, I backed down to stock and still run at max with no crashes.

The MSI, Samsung, or Sager/Clevo will get you better value/size/weight/battery life but performance wise I wouldn't say any of them were better than the Asus, just equal. I choose the Asus for two reasons over the MSI which was my other option at Microcenter:
1) My friend, the one I mentioned I gamed with last night, has the Asus G73 (3 gens older) and it is still running like a champ to this day.
2) I want the ability to put this laptop on a bed and have full functionality without worrying about cooling. Air is drawn from the top of the laptop and expelled out the back, with individual fans and exhausts for the CPU and GPU.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
MSI is notorious for having lackluster build quality at a premium price tag

If you would like to have some other recommendations to consider then please fulfill this little template

What is your maximum budget?

What country are you in?

What will be the uses of this laptop?

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you?

What screen size do you require?

What screen resolution do you require?

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay?

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet)

What games would you like to play with your laptop? And on what settings?

What operating system do you need? (if any)

Is there a certain style of laptop you want? (aluminum, black, gaming, etc.)

How much hard drive space do you need?

Do you need any special hardware? (blue ray, webcam, specialty ports, etc.)

Is there anything else we need to know?

Though really league can be played with any laptop with intel HD 4000, WoW would benefit more from the SSD than overall horsepower, as well as favor Intel I believe ( dont play so cant quote me on that )

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have had MSI notebooks for quite a while now - first you need to understand that with slim notebooks you are going to have less effective cooling, smaller size- smaller fans/ heatsinks. I have a GT60 w/ a 780M and it is nice and beefy, it still gets hot due to it being a notebook. Now the MSI notebooks do feature Cooler Boost that you can activate to speed up the fans to cool better while gaming. I think the MSI will be your best bet in quality and performance... If you pass on this one that has super raid (2x msata raid 0) you will be disappointed lol, I upgraded mine from 1 msata to 3 in raid and I have never been happier with this drive setup - more than any desktop I have had even! I also want to mention the steelseries keyboard that it has - it may sound like a gimmick but I assure you once you start using it you will understand why its likely the best notbook keyboard out there. It feels good to my fingers, more solid keystrokes than squishy like other brands and even lower MSI versions. The Killer Gaming LAN is very good too - I turn off the app that it has and it does well for me even when playing BF4 via wifi, I rarely have connection issues and when I do it is the router giving me hell.

Also if on 8.1 - Turn off/ deactivate skydrive for a better connection as it is a pain in the ass and was screwing my connection up by syncing whenever it felt like it . you can search the process on the web.

the product page btw:
http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE70_2OE.html#overview

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll throw in my $0.02 since I own the GE40 (obviously not the same model), my laptop gets insanely hot and loud even with a laptop cooler (CM Notepal X3) while doing any kind of 3D gaming. This is after I put AS5 thermal paste on all the components which required that I void my warranty.
It still has great potential but just not on my lap as I appreciate not having my balls cooked
biggrin.gif

But my brother in law bought the GE60 and it has a much thicker base to it that really helps with the cooling, lot more open voids that can allow more air to travel over components is a definitely plus.

I would look for something other than MSI not because of the cooling but because of the fact that even to change the ram or HDD you must void your warranty - this is a dirty trick that MSI does.

I've seen the ASUS in person and it's an awesome laptop with fantastic cooling (tried out some stuff on it at a local MicroCenter), all the cooling exits out the rear of the laptop so it won't cook your stuff
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
I would look into anything else other than MSi, I like them for certain people but if this is to be your primary machine and not just a on the go LAN system/school/primary/gamer I wouldnt go for it.

OP when you have the chance please fulfill the template and we can give you the best recommendations for your money

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

I would look into anything else other than MSi, I like them for certain people but if this is to be your primary machine and not just a on the go LAN system/school/primary/gamer I wouldnt go for it.

OP when you have the chance please fulfill the template and we can give you the best recommendations for your money
Okay will do
biggrin.gif
when reading al the posts i'm more leaning towards the asus side, since i play quite alot of games, for long sessions, i don't want to have it really hot ar certain times..

So the list;
What is your maximum budget? About 1000$, if it's 1100, but great bang for buck, i'm in.

What country are you in? Belgium
tongue.gif

What will be the uses of this laptop? 90% for gaming
tongue.gif

Do you have brand loyalty or care which brands we select for you? Not really, but i do have a slight hate for Samsung laptops
smile.gif

What screen size do you require? atleast 17"

What screen resolution do you require? 1080p

Are you looking to buy NEW or would refurbished/recertified/used be okay? New

How long should the battery last? (Under optimal conditions, no movies/games/heavy internet) I don't realy care, when i'm gaming i take the battery out anyways
smile.gif

How much hard drive space do you need? atleast 500gb

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Thanks for that info, you shouldnt have much issue at all

If I could ask one more thing (which I should have included in the list)
tongue.gif

What stores will you be purchasing from?

Thanks !

In the meantime, Asus is definitely better built, however are a pain to get into and use proprietary parts so its much more (borderline impossible) to upgrade GPU's

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

If I could ask one more thing (which I should have included in the list)
tongue.gif

What stores will you be purchasing from?

Thanks !

In the meantime, Asus is definitely better built, however are a pain to get into and use proprietary parts so its much more (borderline impossible) to upgrade GPU's
Hm okay thanks
biggrin.gif
and euhm.. dunno.. stores that ship to belgium, and do not charge 200eu to ship it.. i dont really know any stores, but here in belgium its bol.com, laptopshop.be, alternate.be.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Ill need to bump this for some people knowledgeable in stores in that area, the pricing seems pretty bad at those locations unless im reading it incorrectly?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Ill need to bump this for some people knowledgeable in stores in that area, the pricing seems pretty bad at those locations unless im reading it incorrectly?
In Belgium?yeah everything is expensive here.. thats why i'd like to buy it in the us or uk.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Is newegg available to you? Im not sure of the shipping charges that would be involved, admittedly im a little experienced in international purchases
redface.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

To elaborate a bit on this:
1) The HDD cages (2 of them) are very easy to get to and my SSD upgrade was probably the easiest computer upgrade I've ever done.
2) 2 of the RAM slots are accessible from the same location as the HDD cages. The other two however are under the keyboard and require a good bit of labor.
3) The RAM must be 1.35V, nothing else. This would go along the lines of the "proprietary parts" mentioned, however 1.35V sticks are available from many manufacturers.
4) "Borderline impossible" for cpu/gpu upgrades needs to be renamed simply "Impossible." They are both soldered onto the motherboard, the HD4500 integrated graphics has been physically cut (hence the HQ designation at the end of the i7 4700HQ) and absolutely can not be replaced. If you are looking to upgrade cpu/gpu in the future, buy a Clevo/Sager.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Is newegg available to you? Im not sure of the shipping charges that would be involved, admittedly im a little experienced in international purchases
redface.gif
Well, apparantly they don't ship to europe.. Ncix does, but it's a hundred bucks..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reka121402 View Post

To elaborate a bit on this:
1) The HDD cages (2 of them) are very easy to get to and my SSD upgrade was probably the easiest computer upgrade I've ever done.
2) 2 of the RAM slots are accessible from the same location as the HDD cages. The other two however are under the keyboard and require a good bit of labor.
3) The RAM must be 1.35V, nothing else. This would go along the lines of the "proprietary parts" mentioned, however 1.35V sticks are available from many manufacturers.
4) "Borderline impossible" for cpu/gpu upgrades needs to be renamed simply "Impossible." They are both soldered onto the motherboard, the HD4500 integrated graphics has been physically cut (hence the HQ designation at the end of the i7 4700HQ) and absolutely can not be replaced. If you are looking to upgrade cpu/gpu in the future, buy a Clevo/Sager.
Naah, won't be upgrading anything other then the ram and hdd's, so that'll be fine, thanks
biggrin.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts