Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the MSI GTX 970 OC a good card? From what I read, its great, and when its OC its the same as a 980.... Plus people say its great with cooling...

From anyone that has one, can you recommend it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox10 View Post

Is the MSI GTX 970 OC a good card? From what I read, its great, and when its OC its the same as a 980.... Plus people say its great with cooling...

Thanks
you talking 970 gaming , if so yes it good card, with good OC ability .
Cooling is very good .

there plenty of reviews on this card , my experience matches most of the ones out there .

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are talking about - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833&cm_re=MSI_970-_-14-127-833-_-Product

Then yes it a great card. Yes for a couple bucks more you can get the gaming edition, but I overclocked the card and can hit around 1530Mhz with boost. The temps gets around mid 70c with games like Far Cry 4, BF4 gets to mid 60c and WoW, CS Go, Wolfenstein the new order it goes to 60c or less. The cool thing MSI will still cover the card if you use MSI Afterburner for overclocking, dunno about the other overclocking software.

Compared to the gaming edition it is 5c cooler give or take.

I haven't had any issues with it nor does the fan noise get annoying or loud. I also have louder fans than it.

$330 gets you a very good video card, And I got this as a gift, I don't wish I had the 4G as they are the same, in clock speed.

I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the MSI Gaming GTX970, and I love it. I have not pushed the o/c too far, but it runs fast, silent, and cool. I would go with the Gaming version instead of the OC, there is only about 10$ difference. I'm not sure if MSI cherry picks their cards or not, but if they do you may get a better overclock with the Gaming. As far as the Golden card, it's way too over priced for such small gains in the clocks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox10 View Post

Thanks
MSI 970 Gaming?

Had mine since November and still love it
thumb.gif

Max overclocking I've seen mine cap out around 1580/8200MHz. but of course thats not stable just benchmarking purposes.

For regular gaming I just throw in:
+0mW (stock voltage)
+160MHz Core (~1514MHz)
+400MHz RAM (~7800MHz)

Which gets you in the range around 980/780Ti speeds which is nice for the price, later on down the line get another one for some SLI goodness
wink.gif

Runs games like Far Cry 4 pretty smoothly, all Ultra settings 1080p, doesn't get above 75C, its super quiet and have not had any troubles with it and have been pretty happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only went with the OC model because the gaming/gold were out of stock. It's been treating me right so far. I've managed to reach 1500/4001 with stock voltage, power limit at 110% with the fans at 60% WITH VSYNC. If I disable VSYNC, the card will downclock itself to 1441MHz and stay that way until I relaunch the game. The card hits power and thermal limits which causes the card to downclock. I've been trying the up the power limit with MaxwellBiosEditor but I've had no luck as this Is my first Nvidia card.

The highest temp I've seen was 82c with the fans at 40% (Stock, downclocked to 1294MHz) with Far Cry 4 on ultra with all nvidia goodies on. Ambient room temp as of now is 21c (SoCal)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcizzy View Post

I only went with the OC model because the gaming/gold were out of stock. It's been treating me right so far. I've managed to reach 1500/4001 with stock voltage, power limit at 110% with the fans at 60% WITH VSYNC. If I disable VSYNC, the card will downclock itself to 1441MHz and stay that way until I relaunch the game. The card hits power and thermal limits which causes the card to downclock. I've been trying the up the power limit with MaxwellBiosEditor but I've had no luck as this Is my first Nvidia card.

The highest temp I've seen was 82c with the fans at 40% (Stock, downclocked to 1294MHz) with Far Cry 4 on ultra with all nvidia goodies on. Ambient room temp as of now is 21c (SoCal)
You probably need to keep temps below 65-66c if it works like other MSI gaming .
On power, what is the pin layout for power plugs ,is it 8+6pin or 2x 6pin .

Look at this post for power table changes, you may have to raise the PCIE slot values (table3) from def=66/75 max to maybe def=75/80w max.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1522651/disable-boost-and-bake-in-max-game-stable-clocks-for-maxwell-ii

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkiefer View Post
2 6 pin connectors and yeah it seem like I have to keep the temps under 71c. I wished it would actually use the temp target before it would hit any other limit. The thread you linked has been my guide throughout all this so I'll keep checking back with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone try this Card with AMD Phenom II X4 965?

I just overclocked my CPU to 4Gz and playing Assassin Creed Unity pretty smooth?
Have to see it on new CPU just to make sure it's not bottle necking my GPU

Any ideas highly appreciated.

I'm new and it's my first post
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts