Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the overclocking game, but have followed instruction videos online to overclock my GPU.

I've used MSI Afterburner for the overclock of my card, but I cannot get any better performance when testing in Heaven Benchmarking.

I get the following results from stock and overclocked settings;

Stock: FPS - 128.7, Score - 3242
+200Mhz Clock, +200 Mhz Memory: FPS - 127.8, Score - 3212
+250Mhz Clock, +750Mhz Memory: FPS 128.0, Score - 3223

The overclock registers in the Heaven software, so I know the settings have applied. The +250 overclock wasn't wholly stable, some jittering, but the +200 was, so cannot understand the score.

I thought being watercooled that the Seahawk would have impressive overclocks, but I cannot get an ounce of improvement from mine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PC Specs:

6700k OC to 4.4Ghz, cooled with a Kraken X62
Asus Formula VII Mobo
32GB 2666 RAM
EVGA 650 G2 PSU
4x SSD's, totalling 3gb

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
I have found the instability usually has a negative effect on your score. Try bringing back the OC just a tiny amount and see if it's better.

As for your watercooled GPU, that's just kind of how it is for these cards. I didn't get any better clocks from my WC'ed 1080, but temps and more importantly noise are much improved.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You went from +200 to +750 on the memory? Back those clocks way down and slowly ramp them up. You're getting errors that are driving your score down.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,525 Posts
that's why I always do my patented "stare at dragon while overclocking test" on heaven benchmark when overclocking my gpus. there's always a sweet spot in Memory overclocking. once you go above that point it results to performance degradation so watch out for the fps counter on the upper right part of the screen and see if you're losing/gaining frames.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the guidance.

So I dialled things back a bit, and these are the results I got:

+50Mhz Clock, +50 Mhz Memory: FPS - 128.7, Score - 3242
+100Mhz Clock, +100Mhz Memory: FPS 128.8, Score - 3245
+100Mhz Clock, +150Mhz Memory: FPS 127.5, Score - 3212

I can't understand how I'm not getting even a small increase in performance, even with lower clock speeds.

Is this just a card that is max'ed out already?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiecb19 View Post

Thanks for the replies and the guidance.

So I dialled things back a bit, and these are the results I got:

+50Mhz Clock, +50 Mhz Memory: FPS - 128.7, Score - 3242
+100Mhz Clock, +100Mhz Memory: FPS 128.8, Score - 3245
+100Mhz Clock, +150Mhz Memory: FPS 127.5, Score - 3212

I can't understand how I'm not getting even a small increase in performance, even with lower clock speeds.

Is this just a card that is max'ed out already?
Your RAM is maxed out for sure. The jump from 100 to 150 isn't stable. I'd recommend you try +75 and see how that goes. If it's faster than 100 then you'll have found your limit there.

What are your GPU temps like, and what is the clock speed you end up with under load?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I really don't understand this.

I started low, going in 25MHz increment just on the clock, leaving the memory at stock. Sure enough, the scores began creeping up, till I reached a stable run at +125 Mhz, which has the clock at 2100MHz. Then I tried upping the memory, and got it stable at +500MHz, giving a total of 5505Mhz on the memory - but previous tests failed at lower levels. I really don't understand it.

Temp levels maxed out at 58 degrees, though I haven't got the fans in my rig cranked up, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Totally baffled!

·
Premium Member
5,985 Posts
+50/100/200 means absolutely nothing. A reference to an unknown number. It's an attempt to clock past boost. But where boost stops OCing is different per application. +100 in Game 1 may be 1.9GHz and 2Ghz in another game.

Post the actual clocks. You can put in a big number but that doesn't mean Pascal is going to run at those clocks if it hits one of the limits. You may have actually already been at one of the limits before OCing.

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, base clock is 1975MHz and Memory is 5005MHz.
We need to know the actual clockspeed for each offset. A base clock of 1975 could still be 2000+ with no offset due to how GPU boost 3.0 works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are the offsets I've applied in MSI Afterburner, and the equivalent figures show in Heaven Benchmark, eg. a +125MHz offset from the base of 1975MHz shows as a constant 2100MHz in Heaven.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:

So I really don't understand this.

I started low, going in 25MHz increment just on the clock, leaving the memory at stock. Sure enough, the scores began creeping up, till I reached a stable run at +125 Mhz, which has the clock at 2100MHz. Then I tried upping the memory, and got it stable at +500MHz, giving a total of 5505Mhz on the memory - but previous tests failed at lower levels. I really don't understand it.

Temp levels maxed out at 58 degrees, though I haven't got the fans in my rig cranked up, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Totally baffled!
58C is hot for what you're attempting. Pascal starts dropping bins with heat. Raising fan speeds coud help. I also suggest you leave the memory bone stock while testing core clock until you've found max core clock. Whatever you use for testing should also be identical between runs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts