Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Asus DirectCU

Votes: 16 36.4%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, does the MSI Hawk GTX460 fans run 100% until Windows boots? I have the MSI GTS250 and the thing is LOUD until Windows boots up. I'm wondering if the Hawk does the same or do the fans run for 3 secs then slow down?

Second, which video card provides better cooling as well as quietness. I'm putting this into my silent rig and I want the more quiet one.

I am not going to be OC'ing neither so I will run at stock. Having this said, which is better?

Choose between the two below.

MSI Hawk
Asus DirectCU

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
wait for GTX 560.
projected launch date 1/25/11

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ugh... now i'm tempted to wait til gtx560 hits so that the gtx460 will drop but...

my buddy is in a hurry and wanting to buy this for me so that i can make videos on youtube

he really isn't a patience person and i we've decided to buy a video card tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am freaking out right now...

i am really hoping (don't kill me for this comment) that the gtx 560 doesn't come out for another 2 months...

i would kill myself if i just bought a 460 and the 560 kills the prices on them

to be honest, the asus and msi both look the same so no clue which to buy

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
the 560 is scheduled to be out around the 20th.

best to wait

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidcha;11979538
i am freaking out right now...

i am really hoping (don't kill me for this comment) that the gtx 560 doesn't come out for another 2 months...

i would kill myself if i just bought a 460 and the 560 kills the prices on them

to be honest, the asus and msi both look the same so no clue which to buy
560 comes out in 13 days..

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
The 560 is also going to be considerably more expensive, do NOT expect to be able to snag one for 200 buck or under like these 460s.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first off...

yes i know that the gtx 560 is coming out in 13 days

issue... my buddy is wanting to buy the video card tomorrow...
i'll try to convince him to wait 2 weeks but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea;11979589
The 560 is also going to be considerably more expensive, do NOT expect to be able to snag one for 200 buck or under like these 460s.
what i think is going to happen is the 460 will drop in price, but not enough that it would be a crazy bargain

right now i can grab a hawk for $200 and get 2 games free which i will try to sell.

at most, i think the 460 will come down to $170 w/o the games which isn't a big difference than right now

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidcha;11979597
first off...

yes i know that the gtx 560 is coming out in 13 days
Ugh, serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidcha;11979538

·
Registered
745 Posts
First off, the GTX 560 is supposed to be at $280 (vanilla-board). The estimated performance increase compared to a GTX 460 is about 15-20 percent. Today, you can EASILYget a GTX 460 for less than $190. I would personally get the HAWK edition, since IMO it looks better and performs very well. However, I would wait until the GTX 560 is released because of the possibility of a price drop. THE GTX 460 AND GTX 560 WILL BE IN DIFFERENCE PRICE POINTS YOU DIMWITS.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish;11979615
Ugh, serious?
yes... 1st reply taught me this

and im just being stubborn ><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe63;11979623
Don't kill yourself. The 560 is due out on the 25th. It will cost a lot more that the 460's, $279 per rumor. The best buys right now are the 768mb versions. I think they are trying to get rid of them, then the 1mb?
i know... really tempted to just but the asus 768mb top for $140...
http://www.overclock.net/online-deals/912592-newegg-asus-gtx-768mb-140-fs.html

but i wants to be greedy and get the 1gb... (will later game at 1980 res) ARG! technology is slowing killing me

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugenester
View Post

THE GTX 460 AND GTX 560 WILL BE IN DIFFERENCE PRICE POINTS YOU DIMWITS.

Alright, dimwit!

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I wouldn't expect any price drops with the 560 coming in at 279.99. The 460 is already priced in the right range along with most other cards. Nvidia is filling the pricing gap they have, this shouldn't force the mainstream cards any lower.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol
View Post

I wouldn't expect any price drops with the 560 coming in at 279.99. The 460 is already priced in the right range along with most other cards. Nvidia is filling the pricing gap they have, this shouldn't force the mainstream cards any lower.

Except maybe the 470, right? Since the 470 and 560 will be within arms length.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol
View Post

this is what i'm thinking too but for some reason the way nvidia is marketing the prices for the 460, ti just feels fishy

two free games... hmmm

btw why won't anyone tell me if either asus or msi is better ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmfish
View Post

Except maybe the 470, right? Since the 470 and 560 will be within arms length.

brings a great point...
as of right now the 470 has dropped to $250 before the release of the 560

thus if the prices drop on the 470 then the 460 would have to drop in price to follow the pattern

thus i'm estimating that the 460 might initially drop to $175 when the 560 comes out

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stupidcha
View Post

btw why won't anyone tell me if either asus or msi is better ???

Neither is really "better". They are just different. And "I" believe the MSI is a better choice over the Asus. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ditto

just cuz i've been staring and drooling over the hawks for quite some time now

1 - 20 of 52 Posts