Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MB and a AMD64 3000+ Socket 939 proc. This is my first foray into overclocking so I have tried to read everything possible on the subject. I read through all of the overclocking resources on this site as well as specific information relating to this board, processor and my ram (OCZ 3700 Gold Rev 3, Hynix chips).

I am wondering if anyone has experiece with this board or even this combination of proc and MB and even memory if possible.

My impression was that I would be able to boost the FSB (now referred to the HTT with the nforce3 chipset) until it became unstable to test the limits of the board. However, on boot up I am getting a message when I try to OC the HTT to 220 Mhz that says to reset overclocked settings or continue. If I continue they system reverts to the standard settings. I have been able to get it to 215 Mhz.

Also, I have an Antec True Blue 480 power supply. I thought it was supposed to be pretty good, but when I use CPU-Z to look at the voltage level, it is reading voltage = about 1.392 - 1.408 and not the 1.5 volts that it should be. It is this way even when I dont overclock. Should I be concerned.

I know I have posed a lot of questions, but I have one last one about the AGP/PCI lock. There is a setting for the AGP frequency, but nothing for the PCI frequency. By setting the AGP frequency, does that automatically lock the PCI setting as well?

Any help on these quesitons would be greatly appreciated. If I need to get another new PSU I would need to do so ASAP since I only have 14 days to return the Antec.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The 90nm chips runs a 1.4volts, don't need to worry about that. Sounds like your Hyper-Transport is holding you back, find the Hyper-Transport ratio and lower it to x4 instead of x5. You may also need to loosen the memory timings if you're still running a 1:1 ratio. On nf3-250 PCI is locked to 33.33 regardless of any other settings, and you can play with AGP as you whish.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

The 90nm chips runs a 1.4volts, don't need to worry about that. Sounds like your Hyper-Transport is holding you back, find the Hyper-Transport ratio and lower it to x4 instead of x5. You may also need to loosen the memory timings if you're still running a 1:1 ratio. On nf3-250 PCI is locked to 33.33 regardless of any other settings, and you can play with AGP as you whish.

If the PCI will stay locked at 33.33 thats great. Shouldn't he also lock or set the AGP @ 66Mhz? I have never seen any performance improvments past 66mhz, just instability issues.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Oddly enough (I can't really prove it though) I saw my overclock improve when I bumped AGP to 68MHz, but I changed other things so it might just be my imagination. Some people say you need to set it to 67MHz to "wake-up" the AGP/PCI locks, 1MHz isn't going to hurt anything anyway

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Oddly enough (I can't really prove it though) I saw my overclock improve when I bumped AGP to 68MHz, but I changed other things so it might just be my imagination. Some people say you need to set it to 67MHz to "wake-up" the AGP/PCI locks, 1MHz isn't going to hurt anything anyway

Ya 1 Mhz shouldn't hurt anything. The furthest I have ever seen anyone OC the AGP bus is 67-68Mhz max before having problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got the same motherboard, a 3200 chip and Samsung PC3200 Ram.

You are lucky getting 215. I've also been having problems OC this set-up. I too get the message telling me to reset my overclocked settings and that is with any setting above 210.

Following numerous searches and reading reviews it looks like this board cannot lock PCi. It is a known problem of this and many other 939 boards. I think ASUS and ABIT are the only two which can be locked at the moment.

Not giving up yet though.
I'm sure this little baby wants let out her cage.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I've also got the same board with a FX-53 and 1Gb (2x512Mb) Corsiar TwinX XMS3200Pro.

I'm currently running at a FSB of 217. Also, there is a option to lock the AGP to 66Mhz and this should also lock the PCI @ 33MHz.

You also try the 1.3 version of the BIOS as this helped me with the oc'ing (more stable)

·
Registered
130 Posts
YiffyGriffy - rep points on the way to you.

Backed off the Ram timings as I had done previously but this time set the HT to 4x.

Managed to get up to 2.45ghz although not too stable but have backed it down to 2.3ghz and is solid as a rock.

Now going to try updating the Bios as Zeus suggests and its seconds out - round two! Ding! Ding!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I will give your suggestions a try (backing down the HT multiplier, to what? 4.5, 4? down from the max of 5) as well as increasing the memory timings: the timings on the ram say 2.5-3-8, so what do these exactly map to in the bios settings? that might help a little in making sure I know I am changing the correct settings).

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just realized you suggested 4 for the HT, so I will try that. If there are any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Also, it sounds like there is not a consensus on the PCI lock. One said that it is always locked and others say you have to set to like 68 to lock it, and others say it does not lock. Anyone have any hardcore evidence with some utility as to what it is?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Fire up Clockgen and it's locked to 33.34 on mine regardless if I'm running 200MHz FSB or 260MHz
What I said was I've seen some people say that you need to up the AGP frequency to 67MHz to engage the locks, I can't prove it though, and I just run mine at 68MHz cause I'm too lazy to go back into BIOS and set it back to 66

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I use Clockgen to experiment when I don't feel like rebooting, but I use settings in BIOS to make them permanent

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I am in the midst of oc'ing this combination:

AMD64 socket 939 3000+
MSI Neo2 Plat
OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3

and have been reading a lot about it. It sounds like there are different voltages (at least for CPU) for this combination as opposed to what is on the this site's OC'ing guide. Also, there are difference because there is a FSB as well as an HTT.

Some of you have already posted your info on what you have, but if you could post your best/stable results I would like to see them for:

I am currently using Prime95 to torture test and have my system at:
Bios Vers: 1.3
Stable FSB: 255 Mhz
Stable HTT: 4x
Stable FSB Mult: 9 (Max I can get)
Stable CPU Clock: 2295
% Gain in CPU Clock: about 27%
Memory Type: OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 (Hynix)
Memory Timing: 3-4-4-10
CPU Voltage: 1.5
Memory Voltage: 2.7
Idle CPU Temp: 40 C
Prime95 Test Temp: 48-49 C
Any scores you want to post for 3dMark, Sandra, etc.

I will post my scores once I get this thing stable. It crashed at the 2.5-3-3-10 settings with other settings above as soon as I jumped into prime95, but now it is running tests pretty well. What should the temp be at max load with these AMD64 cpus?

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are exactly right. Mistype. I have corrected it. Thanks Evil!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I noticed you said 1.7v for memory.... Did you mean 2.7 ??? I doubt any memory will run 1.7v.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstar77

I am currently using Prime95 to torture test and have my system at:
Bios Vers: 1.3
Stable FSB: 255 Mhz
Stable HTT: 4x
Stable FSB Mult: 9 (Max I can get)
Stable CPU Clock: 2295
% Gain in CPU Clock: about 27%
Memory Type: OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 (Hynix)
Memory Timing: 3-4-4-10
CPU Voltage: 1.5
Memory Voltage: 2.7
Idle CPU Temp: 40 C
Prime95 Test Temp: 48-49 C
Any scores you want to post for 3dMark, Sandra, etc.

Your temps look good. Try to keep the temp below 55c when its under load.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have the updated bios (1.3) and am also able to get it to 2.3 Ghz very stable. Too bad mult is locked in the upward direction.

Im wondering what about the max voltages I should use. I have cpu at 1.5, but it looks like I could even take it up higher (Im at 49 C under max load). And what about the memory voltage? Can that go higher than 2.7, or is that the max that is relatively safe?

I read that there were some tests on the board OC'ing to 265 FSB (HTT), but I get a lot of stability problems there at the voltages above.

Anyone have any experience on this level with this Mobo or other 939 chips (3000, 3200, 3500, as supposedly all can be OC'ed to about the same)?

Maybe I should just be happy with 2.3 Ghz, but hey, if I can get more out of it stable that would be great. I currently have mem timings at 3-4-4-10 which is above rated amounts of 2.5-3-3-8 per OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 and SPD (sp?) timings of 2.5-4-4-8 per CPU-Z.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bawsack

YiffyGriffy - rep points on the way to you.

Backed off the Ram timings as I had done previously but this time set the HT to 4x.

Managed to get up to 2.45ghz although not too stable but have backed it down to 2.3ghz and is solid as a rock.

Now going to try updating the Bios as Zeus suggests and its seconds out - round two! Ding! Ding!

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, so I may be asking a wee bit too much from what is technically a cheap 939 setup, but..........

I can run rock solid at 2.3ghz @ 230 x 10. My temps are all OK. I get 20500 3dmark01se points with my 9800 pro.

But I am finding this motherboard springing up surprises at every turn. Can anyone help?

I have now noticed that my DDR400 ram is running in single channel mode at 167 standard or 191 when FSB OC'd. I cannot find anything in bios for changing this. My system is showing the full 1gb there but not running in dual mode. I know it can as it worked fine on my DFi XP board.

Anyone? Rep points a waiting!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First of all, how did you get it to run at 10 as the mult, is that the max for your cpu? I thought that these cpus were locked upwards, but not downwards.

With respect to your single channel issue, is it specifically dual channel ram? Also, you need to put each stick on a different color slot, ie. 1 and 2, not 1 and 3 to activate dual channel mode. Also, you may want to try to boost your voltage levels for the ram and the cpu. Also, you can increase your timings, so if 2.5-3-3 you can increase to 3-4-4. That helped for me.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bawsack

OK, so I may be asking a wee bit too much from what is technically a cheap 939 setup, but..........

I can run rock solid at 2.3ghz @ 230 x 10. My temps are all OK. I get 20500 3dmark01se points with my 9800 pro.

But I am finding this motherboard springing up surprises at every turn. Can anyone help?

I have now noticed that my DDR400 ram is running in single channel mode at 167 standard or 191 when FSB OC'd. I cannot find anything in bios for changing this. My system is showing the full 1gb there but not running in dual mode. I know it can as it worked fine on my DFi XP board.

Anyone? Rep points a waiting!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts