Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to restore the BIOS on a computer that won't even post or show logo? >.>

I followed the instructions for resetting the cmos (since when did companies stop using jumpers?) but as expected, no effect. Computer won't output display, just a black screen.

Motherboard is new, do I try to fix or RMA? (would really rather not RMA)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
to my knowledge,

when flashing a bios goes wrong, the board is rendered useless, unless someone have come up with a way that i am not aware of.

you can try RMA, but they may not.

i'm hoping you did it on an MSI board, not your asus board. as for live update only works on MSI boards.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again View Post
to my knowledge,

when flashing a bios goes wrong, the board is rendered useless, unless someone have come up with a way that i am not aware of.

you can try RMA, but they may not.

i'm hoping you did it on an MSI board, not your asus board. as for live update only works on MSI boards.
Usually motherboards have a "backup" ROM just for this reason, but it looks like his MSI doesn't.

Sorry bud, it's a paperweight now if you have tried resetting everything. RMA it and try again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was for an MSI... P6N SLI.

I guess I'll start dismantling. Thanks for speedy replies.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
it was the p6n sli? lol u definetely did something wrong.

as for i have done it several times, and it has worked flawlessly.

read the instructions before u do it. (this is rare)

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Unless the motherboard has a DUAL BIOS option which means it has a seperate backup BIOS chip then its usually dead.

Sorry mate. I guess you need to get in contact with MSI. Also comment that it was the Live updater that did it.

I generally only update through DOS at startup as there are many less factors that could make something go wrong compared to when you are within windows.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 711 View Post
Yes it was for an MSI... P6N SLI.

I guess I'll start dismantling. Thanks for speedy replies.
That board has a bios chip that you can replace. Call tech support at MSI and ask them to send you another bios chip. We did that on the P4n SLI once and it worked fine. It is faster than the RMA process too.

But dont they also have a process to boot from floppy and flash that way? Check the manual.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
there are several ways you can try to fix the board . see what kind of bios chip you have. plcc chips are most common these days. you can do a hot swap with another MB and flash it back thru dos. or you can take out your bios chip find out what kind it is nd order a new one preflashed from biosman. dont lisent to these guys saying its a paperweight or whatever. i have just recently done the hot swap on a board of mine that did the exact same thing. i suggest you look on google for hotswap bios chip tutorials. or search for the biosman website. for 35 dollars they will send you a new already programmed bios chip you can plop right in and be good to go. i had to research this for weeks so im 100% positive i knwo what im talking about in this matter good luck pm me if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
there are several ways you can try to fix the board . see what kind of bios chip you have. plcc chips are most common these days. you can do a hot swap with another MB and flash it back thru dos. or you can take out your bios chip find out what kind it is nd order a new one preflashed from biosman. dont lisent to these guys saying its a paperweight or whatever. i have just recently done the hot swap on a board of mine that did the exact same thing. i suggest you look on google for hotswap bios chip tutorials. or search for the biosman website. for 35 dollars they will send you a new already programmed bios chip you can plop right in and be good to go. i had to research this for weeks so im 100% positive i knwo what im talking about in this matter good luck pm me if you have any questions.

if his board is new, he should be able to RMA it for FREE if he can play it off.

im not saying you're wrong. yes you can swap bios chips, but i'd rather not spend the money,time, or effort to do it if i can get the whole board swapped for free. (in most cases)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i mean you can flash it by hotswapping it out for free on another board. its worth a shot for a free fix and not havinf to wait for a rma at all. and whats the diff if it dosent work you can still rma

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
i mean you can flash it by hotswapping it out for free on another board. its worth a shot for a free fix and not havinf to wait for a rma at all. and whats the diff if it dosent work you can still rma
thats a good idea. i never thought of that one before. but he would have to find one what would work for hotswapping.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
Ya and if you try a hotflash and the bios you put in aint 100% right it could fry the board and fry the bios. Best to rma it say it stoped posting or you saved cmos settings and it never came back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem, I remove all the component and the re-install windows xp and that fix the problem, I am also have MSI motherboard

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent it straight back after the first 2 replies. Newegg asked no questions, still waiting on new board though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts