Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this board a couple of weeks ago and noticed there was no thread for it yet, so here we go! :D

MSI MAG x570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
OFFICIAL SITE(Overview, Specs, Drivers, BIOS...)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi

New beta UEFI 7C84v115 released.

EDIT:

Great improvement in Memory Latency

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm overall pleased with this motherboard but I've got to say, the FAN header placements boggle my mind. Most of them are mushed in to one tiny spot in the bottom part! My case has a cutout near that spot but my PSU partly blocks it. It's even worsened by the thick USB3 cable etc.

I see that you also have the "Unknown motherboard" error in AIDA64. Does anyone know what causes it? Seems really random

·
Registered
482 Posts
Looks like a nice board, pity they have pretty much been unobtanium here in Europe. X570 Unity have been plenty, but it's 50€ more expensive for the same performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm overall pleased with this motherboard but I've got to say, the FAN header placements boggle my mind. Most of them are mushed in to one tiny spot in the bottom part! My case has a cutout near that spot but my PSU partly blocks it. It's even worsened by the thick USB3 cable etc.

I see that you also have the "Unknown motherboard" error in AIDA64. Does anyone know what causes it? Seems really random
Yeah... Fan cables look tidy when you manage to put them in there but I actually had some trouble, initially.

I suppose the "Unknown motherboard" label could be because I'm using an outdated version of AIDA or maybe it's just a Beta BIOS bug.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi @Zendal

Did you enabled the new option under DRAM Advanced Settings called DRAM Latency enhancer? If not try msi config as an option.

I have pointed the fan headers position to MSI. hope on next versions they do something about it. My major concern and can be fixed by a new BIOS is to be able to set my NVMe RAID system without setting SATA to RAID mode. I can do it with my ASUS Strix X570-E. Overall now I feel that I upgraded from my Crosshair 6 Hero, I can use my Samsung B-Die to 4133, with the Strix I cud only set it to 3400Mhz unstable.
Here some SS at 3800 with settings:

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi @Zendal
Did you enabled the new option under DRAM Advanced Settings called DRAM Latency enhancer? If not try msi config as an option.
Yeah, I noticed the new parameter and tried it, thinking that was making the difference, but no luck. Does your latency change at all with that parameter or did you just update the BIOS and got better latency?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I updated BIOS and set parameter, then test it.

Edit:

Flashed 1.00 to compare :

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else having trouble with the ethernet adapter since that latest beta (7C84v115). It keeps turning off and on for me every now and then, tried different ports on the router, same issue. WiFi on the other hand, no problems

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi @Zendal

I have pointed the fan headers position to MSI. hope on next versions they do something about it. My major concern and can be fixed by a new BIOS is to be able to set my NVMe RAID system without setting SATA to RAID mode. I can do it with my ASUS Strix X570-E. Overall now I feel that I upgraded from my Crosshair 6 Hero, I can use my Samsung B-Die to 4133, with the Strix I cud only set it to 3400Mhz unstable.
Here some SS at 3800 with settings:
I will try this Board. My CH6 was a torture.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's strange, with my previous mobo: ASUS Prime X470-Pro I could OCed my 3800X 4.5GHz on 1.3V. but with the Tomahawk only 4.4GHz on 1.2V. I didn't dig so deep yet, just set 45 and 1.3V. What's LLC is the best for OC on our board?

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's strange, with my previous mobo: ASUS Prime X470-Pro I could OCed my 3800X 4.5GHz on 1.3V. but with the Tomahawk only 4.4GHz on 1.2V. I didn't dig so deep yet, just set 45 and 1.3V. What's LLC is the best for OC on our board?
4,5Ghz Stable on all cores?
This board should handle it but 4.5Ghz on all cores is hard. My max stable was 4.4Ghz with 1.265 V.

Not much input here, looks like only a few people own this board.

I just moved back to Auto OC with this CPU. And good powersettings.

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
desoto

Yeah, all cores but the cpu passed only CB20. It's enough for me. I played games without any issues. The difference in settings between these boards is only I used LLC on ASUS but on Tomahawk didn't.
Reached 4.5GHz with 1.35V. LLC2. Passed CB20, temperature peak 82C. In gaming 60-65C, idle 50C. Cooler D15.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, all cores but the cpu passed only CB20. It's enough for me. I played games without any issues. The difference in settings between these boards is only I used LLC on ASUS but on Tomahawk didn't.
Try it with Low LLC

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 3800x can work at 4400 with 1.2v. but with 1.3v. the cpu gets more score in CB20. 1.35v more and more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just saying hi, new owner here and been pretty impressed so far - beta bios doesn't seem to be causing me any issues and I've just come from being only getting the memory to 3600MT/s on my x570 Aorus Elite to a quick and loose [email protected] on the Tomahawk - no other components were changed and I'm sure there's a bit more tightening I can do.

More than happy at the mo after the debacle of wrestling with GB's BIOS making me think my IF would only do 3600 and that I had a "nothing special" SoC

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think this is not GB fault. It's AMD with bad system Environment.
After years of Sandy Bridge CPU an Environment i had bluescreens, boot issues with Secureboot mode and and and.

AMD needs to concentrate on this Department. Just check your system with LatencyMonitor. All my USB 3.0 Ports have ISR Counts. If i install a Win7 usb driver i have 0 ISR Counts but my system took ages to boot.

I could solve this issue by using the Asmedia 3.1 USB Port over a old USB3.0 Hub. It's facked up. AMD is the issue.

Because of this i hate my Crosshair VI. This will be my last ASUS Product.

Looking Forward - to try the new chipset and Environment.

We now have 3 Tomahawk owner here ?

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I'm also a Tomahawk Owner but still in the process of acquiring my gear.

Mobo: MSI x570 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws V PC3200 CL14 B Die
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850w

Still need:
Case: Might go Be Quiet! 500DX as the Lancool 2 seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Cooler: Arctic 240? Is air enough?

GPU (might borrow a GTX 1050 for the short term)

Anyway, my first build in years so excited to get rolling on this. Will be back looking for advice and providing my experience as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got one of these motherboards aswell and came here looking for some advice
Could you tell me if I RAID 2 500gb Samsung nvme will I still have the sata ports available or does it kick the data ports off
I can’t test it yet I’m waiting for new psu to come

1 - 20 of 337 Posts