Overclock.net banner

281 - 300 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
@msi site is broken, here is working link for bios.https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/jv5n0k/tomahawk_x570_someone_tried_the_new_bios_yet/

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not sure that new bios is working right. All my memory timing settings seem to be in hex now.
BIOS Overclocking section the memory is always in hex.

Has someone who installed 5800x any issue with the board?
5800X yes if running boost up to 5200Mhz I get errors. OK at 5100Mhz.
Now this Motherboard will be good someday but it has problems like all new stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@gerardfraser
What are your settings for 5100Mhz?

I am currently running PBO +100 mit curve optimizer assigning the 2 best cores -10 and the others -25 which results in single core boost of 4950 and all core boost up to 4750 (depending on temps).

·
Registered
11 Posts
BIOS Overclocking section the memory is always in hex.
That's simply not true. As per someone elses suggestion, clearing CMOS did the trick and brought all the settings back to decimal values. I have never set memory timings in hex in my life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, just wanted to give an update regarding this post. As soon as I could/it became available I purchased a new Ryzen 5600X.
I replaced the 3700X with the 5600X, reset the BIOS, didn't even install a clean, fresh version of Windows and literally every problem disappeared.

The CPU was faulty. Sent off for RMA.

Hey everyone I've made some progress with this issue, of my BSOD's and crashing at 100% stock.

I've established that the CPU at 100% 'BIOS Optimised' STOCK settings, fails stress testing in Prime95, one of the workers fail nearly immediately.

I did some playing around in the BIOS and found that this MSI motherboard has a 'GAME MODE' which, when enabled provides a +600mhz overclock. I had a look at the settings it changes -
  • CPU Ratio from AUTO > 42x
  • CPU Smart Fan Controls > DISABLED
  • PSS Support (Enable or Disable the generation of ACPI _PPC, _PPS and _PCT objects) ENABLED to DISABLED.
I had a look at what 'PSS' does and it's what MSI have renamed AMD Cool n Quiet.

After enabling 'GAME MODE' and having a full time overclock, the CPU is 100% stable in Windows, in stress testing and games and there is absolutely 0 issues. No random BSODs and blue screens.

I turned everything back to BIOS Optimised stock, and turned off PSS manually, but the BSOD issues still remained.

What I don't understand is, why is the CPU working fine OVERCLOCKED, at an overclocked clock of 4.2ghz, but not at it's base clock of 3.6ghz, all AUTO voltages, and BIOS defaults except for GAME MODE enabled. I'm beginning to think this isn't a CPU issue at all, but a motherboard one.
I have already told you that your CPU is faulty ....
Hey mate, I should have listened to you initially, the CPU was 100% faulty. As soon as I bought a replacement 5600X and put it in, all I did was reset the BIOS and the system is 110% stable with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I've sent the old 3700X for RMA.

I seems to have the same issue, getting hard reboots (no info in windows) with xmp on or off, doesn't matter. Running version 140 of bios but I tried all beta bioses. It seems the only way system is stable is when I do "game mode" in bios and that sets voltage to 1.337 on every core (is it leet, really...) which I guess is stable? Even with xmp on it works while xmp on would crash immediately after getting into desktop and getting idle. Is it bad chip? I can still return and replace it...

Turns out my CPU was faulty, see the above. As soon as I replaced the CPU, all my problems went away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good news Manol , good to hear ! 🤩

Enjoy your new CPU... AND stability ! ;) (y)

I knew it was the CPU faulty because some guys on Reddit and French forum got the

exact same problem , they changed ALL their hardware before discovering that the

CPU was guilty.

It's a very rare problem but can happen. ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That's simply not true. As per someone elses suggestion, clearing CMOS did the trick and brought all the settings back to decimal values. I have never set memory timings in hex in my life.
Interesting,you called me a liar without even understanding what I said.It does not make what I said untrue.

@gerardfraser

What are your settings for 5100Mhz?
I just copy and pasted a post I made before.
In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
save and test.

Cinebench R20
658 single
Multi 6419

·
Registered
14 Posts
Me too i have the HEX in AMD overclocking section , so you think a clear CMOS can

solve this problem ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's my timings back to 'normal' after a full reset. They absolutely should not be in hex, despite what this other chap says. He is mistaken.

I'll wait for a non beta before I bother trying to do anything with any settings though,this bios is playing enough silly buggers already.

Circled in red are expected values, in decimal.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Your looking at the wrong section of what I posted. Still interesting you did not get it even after screen shots were posted by two different people .It does not make what I said untrue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
@gerardfraser
Thanks. Didn't notice the manual boost clock in the OC section. I was only using the setting where the PBO curve optimizer is.
When you set the same value in both sections, the one in the OC section seems to take priority.

Another aspect of the PBO boost is the LLC. If LLC is too strong, high vcore will be causing higher temps which in turn lowers boost.

I am trying to find the best compromise between single core- and all-core boost. My CPU sample could be in the average range. At least [email protected] is out of the question for it. It rather need sth like 1.38v all core for CB to be stable. I also have difficulties to get 5Ghz (+150Mhz) stable while at the same time having high all-core boost (4700-4800) which requires negative boost optimizer values > 10.

My best compromise so far is 4950 single core, 4800 all core (if temps allow) with +100Mhz, -10 (2 best cores), -25 (other cores) and LLC 5. It's cooled by an Arctic 360 AIO.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Here is the best part,your CPU the way that it is right now is perfect. If you actually do testing there is no real difference in say running 4500Mhz overclock to letting CPU do it's thing as you have it.Especially if you game at more than 1080P resolution. Your not missing out on anything.I will leave my cpu boost to 5050Mhz and be happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
iggy2k : same here ... but you looking AT THE WRONG SECTION !

we are talking about "SETTINGS" THAN AMD OVERCLOCKING , look the screenshots again ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your looking at the wrong section of what I posted. Still interesting you did not get it even after screen shots were posted by two different people .It does not make what I said untrue.
iggy2k : same here ... but you looking AT THE WRONG SECTION !

we are talking about "SETTINGS" THAN AMD OVERCLOCKING , look the screenshots again ...
Well since it was me originally having a problem with the section I was talking about, and everyone else responding about a different section, it's not really me that's at fault, is it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm building a setup for a friend of mine with my "old" 3700X on a Tomahawk, which I've used with an AORUS X570 board before switching to a 5900X myself.

Which BIOS Version would you recommend? Looks like the initial one should be fine as it should be running a fairly early AGESA.

Or would you recommend rather the stable one with 1.0.8.1?

Any big changes/fixes for breaking bugs apart from AGESA compared to the initial BIOS release for the Tomahawk?

Thank you!

281 - 300 of 346 Posts