Overclock.net banner

301 - 320 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
@panni
For a 3700X I would use version 7C84v13, from just before the new AGESA / Ryzen 500 update.
I was using it with a 3900X and had a really good experience with it. Very stable and great memory + CPU overclock.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm building a setup for a friend of mine with my "old" 3700X on a Tomahawk, which I've used with an AORUS X570 board before switching to a 5900X myself.

Which BIOS Version would you recommend? Looks like the initial one should be fine as it should be running a fairly early AGESA.

Or would you recommend rather the stable one with 1.0.8.1?

Any big changes/fixes for breaking bugs apart from AGESA compared to the initial BIOS release for the Tomahawk?

Thank you!
The very first bios has issues with manual fan control. The fan control either doesn't work entirely or doesn't set properly. Other people reported issues with sound cards and sata ports. All bios versions after that (before 7C84v13) have broken manual vcore setting in the bios.

I'm currently on 7C84v13. I haven't updated only because I'm working on some important stuff and cant have any downtime because of a bad bios or bugs. So 7C84v13 is very stable.
The only annoying issue I've seen is the chipset fan running randomly on boot sometimes despite temperatures being low and then going to 0 RPM after like 30 seconds.
I've also noticed a rare bug with manual fan control where changing the fan speed in the BIOS causes the RPM of the fan to go crazy and drop all the way down to 0. A reboot fixes this and fan control behaves properly in the BIOS afterwards.

Overclocking and stability are very good on 7C84v13 for myself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
@panni
For a 3700X I would use version 7C84v13, from just before the new AGESA / Ryzen 500 update.
I was using it with a 3900X and had a really good experience with it. Very stable and great memory + CPU overclock.
The very first bios has issues with manual fan control. The fan control either doesn't work entirely or doesn't set properly. Other people reported issues with sound cards and sata ports. All bios versions after that (before 7C84v13) have broken manual vcore setting in the bios.

I'm currently on 7C84v13. I haven't updated only because I'm working on some important stuff and cant have any downtime because of a bad bios or bugs. So 7C84v13 is very stable.
The only annoying issue I've seen is the chipset fan running randomly on boot sometimes despite temperatures being low and then going to 0 RPM after like 30 seconds.
I've also noticed a rare bug with manual fan control where changing the fan speed in the BIOS causes the RPM of the fan to go crazy and drop all the way down to 0. A reboot fixes this and fan control behaves properly in the BIOS afterwards.

Overclocking and stability are very good on 7C84v13 for myself.
Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Any pointers towards VDDP/VDDG/SoC for running the 3700X at 1800 IF? On the Gigabyte it ran at 900 VDDP, 950 VDDG CCD, 980 VDDG IOD, 1.1V SoC.

How good is the Auto behavior on the Tomahawk for those voltages?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got 5800X today. What's the best version of the bios for this CPU?
The latest. For 5000 series, the latest might not even be good enough yet. So you might have to keep an eye out for the new releases.

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Any pointers towards VDDP/VDDG/SoC for running the 3700X at 1800 IF? On the Gigabyte it ran at 900 VDDP, 950 VDDG CCD, 980 VDDG IOD, 1.1V SoC.

How good is the Auto behavior on the Tomahawk for those voltages?
Auto was pretty good from what I saw. You shouldnt have any problems with 1800 IF honestly. You might even be able to get away with .75 stepping i.e.

900 VDDP
975 VDDG_IOD/CCD
1.05 VSOC

·
Registered
257 Posts
The latest. For 5000 series, the latest might not even be good enough yet. So you might have to keep an eye out for the new releases.

Auto was pretty good from what I saw. You shouldnt have any problems with 1800 IF honestly. You might even be able to get away with .75 stepping i.e.

900 VDDP
975 VDDG_IOD/CCD
1.05 VSOC
Thanks! Does Auto default to 1050/1050/1050/1100 as it did on the Gigabyte board?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks! Does Auto default to 1050/1050/1050/1100 as it did on the Gigabyte board?
Probably not because besides the board it depends on RAM, timings, ...
But auto was doing really find for the 3900X. I was able to run 1866 IF (3800 wasn't possible probably due to CPU) + CL 14 timings on the 3733 B-die RAM with auto voltages for everything except for RAM ofc (which I set to 1.5v).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here I'm sharing my experience to update CPU Ryzen 3800X to 5800X may be it will help to someone. I updated a bios from 10 (very first bios for the mobo) to 51 beta (latest on 20 November 2020), with my old CPU. In the bios menu I set settings by default. Then I've changed CPU.
1. When I tried to enter the bios menu after installing CPU 5800X I see black screen (but a computer could successfully load Windows 10). I have two monitors (LG GL850, LG UK500) connected by DP to Gigabyte 1070G1 (still waiting for RTX 3080Ti). In reddit I found to solve this issue, you need to update your firmware NVidia graphics for Display port (DP). Here is download link for updating: NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays
2. When my computer was loading first several times it was sound: 1 long and 2 short - means RAM issue but my computer could load Windows 10 without any problem. After fixing the issue with DP I entered to the bios and changed RAM setting to 3600 (it was 2133 by default). No sound issue. I don't know why it was sounded. When I set by default the bios with my old 3800X there is no the sound issue.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
View attachment 2466180

Wondering what the best PBO settings are for a 5900x? Should i put PBO limits to auto or motherboard?

Cheers
I set mine like this. If like big numbers when playing PC games ,it make no difference in performance at higher resolutions.
For Honor Rtx 3080 4K HDR 120FPS,may need HDR monitor to see 4K

In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
save and test.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ryzen 3100 @ 4700 / bios 7C84v1.4
ram 16 giga 3200 @ 3800 fclk 1900 (rev-e ballistix sport red)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I set mine like this. If like big numbers when playing PC games ,it make no difference in performance at higher resolutions.
For Honor Rtx 3080 4K HDR 120FPS,may need HDR monitor to see 4K

In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
save and test.
What a cooler do you use for your 5800X? I can't boost my 5800X even +200MHz with Noctua D-15. The temperature is 80C under CB20. And what software do you use in your video to control temperatures of CPU, and etc. (left side on the video)?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I got my 5600x today to replace my 3600x and so far, the memory controller seems better than the 3600x. Where the 3600x had the odd boot up problem when cold on with 1900mhz 1:1:1 memory, the 5600x boots up without a hitch and stable under OCCT. I’m using the latest beta driver 7C84v151 and so far so good, except maybe PBO.

I tuned PBO to 200mhz boost,1x scalar, -10 all core curve optimizer and while it is stable and boosts to 4.85 on some cores and 4800 on the others, the voltage is constantly very high at 1.45v under load and I’m starting to worry about degradation. Even at stock settings the voltage is around 1.4 under load and generates massive heat, nearing 90 degrees with a Dark Rock Pro 4 with an agressive curve and ambient temp of 15C.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Could it be the BIOS being too rough around the edges?

• Rep+
Reactions: desoto

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've try to undervolt my CPU (5800X) with offset - 0.0125v. The CPU starts to work at 3800MHz only. PBO doesn't work. Plus, the CPU is cold). MSI need to update undervolting section in bios.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What do i set my PBO limits to? You can manually set them or auto or motherboard.
It is a PC ,set them to whatever you want,I suggest try AMD Curve Optimizer for best results.

What a cooler do you use for your 5800X? I can't boost my 5800X even +200MHz with Noctua D-15. The temperature is 80C under CB20. And what software do you use in your video to control temperatures of CPU, and etc. (left side on the video)?
You have a better CPU cooler than me. I use $50 Dollar Can after rebate I bought two years ago. The software is msi After burner with RTSS Overlay editor.I made a overlay with a quick get up and running guide.
MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Flt2EeznPd2HO438678AbjUHnwWf6E6D/view?usp=sharing

AMD removed/changed CPU voltage offset +- for Ryzen 5000 on MSI motherboards. Since it is the internet,this is the way I interpreted what AMD posted and I say MSI Motherboards because that is all I own.
If you set the CPU offset voltage you will get base clock of CPU.You can use override voltage but using negative values will lead to clock stretching so check after change.AMD released new tool Ryzen 5000 called AMD Curve Optimizer . It is a VF curve with positive/negative settings.

MSI has put out a statement about why it does not work.

CPU Frequency Cannot Go Turbo Frequency
Note. This issue should be common issue on all motherboard vendor

This issue happens when using Ryzen 5000 CPU + PBO enable + adjust CPU voltage
Symptom: CPU frequency locks at base frequency and will not boost to turbo
Solution: No ETA

AMD Ryzen 5000 changes:Beyond AGESA 1.1.0.0 for Ryzen 5000 Series:
  • Returning support for negative core voltage offsets (“undervolting”) with all-new AMD functionality for better frequency, voltage, and performance tweaking
  • Additional AMD optimization for performance and stability at ~2000MHz fabric clock. While not all processors are innately capable of reaching this frequency, our tuning is intended to help stabilize the overclock on capable samples2 —good luck!
  • Additional functionality tuning for benchmarking under extreme OC conditions (e.g. LN2)

Robert Hallock twitter
1) Ryzen 5000 Series doesn't need a power plan. Don't expect to see one.
2) Yes, it can clock to DDR4-4000 1:1 if you have a good sample. Upcoming AGESA work will make this easier.
3) But you CAN tweak Ryzen perf vs. power with the Win10 Power & Sleep sider AFTER you install the chipset driver.
4) Is the memory controller the same? YES.
5) Do you need a new AGESA for pre-5000 Series CPUs? No. Not really. Stay on the BIOS you have.
6) But ROBERT what about the VOLTS and the CELSIUSES. WHAT IS NORMAL?!?!!?! ROB HELP. See below.
7) What is the best memory to buy? TOUGH QUESTION
8) I see this a lot: "precision boost is automatic overclocking." No. False. Wrong. Precision Boost is our boost technology. Every processor has a boost technology. But ours is unique in that X THREADS do not equal Y CLOCKS. Why? Because that is SLOW.
9) But Robert, where is undervolting? Answer: IT'S GONE. j/k. Temporarily gone for 5000 series. It'll be back in an upcoming AGESA with new functionality. ;) It's gonna be HYPE. Y'aint never seen undervolting quite like this.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
1.44v which seems unsafe for PBO.
Not knocking you ,I think you misunderstand how Ryzen CPU works.
AMD algorithm will adjust CPU voltages when all things are good to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control and within safe parameters .I would say trust the AMD engineers. If you do not like to look the voltages ,it is easily changeable but I suggest test after any changes. BTW CPU default voltage is up to 1.5v and 1.55v PBO depending on BIOS agesa,motherboard.
You can also use the AMD tools provided in your BIOS AMD Curve OPtimizer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tuned PBO to 200mhz boost,1x scalar, -10 all core curve optimizer and while it is stable and boosts to 4.85 on some cores and 4800 on the others, the voltage is constantly very high at 1.45v under load and I’m starting to worry about degradation. Even at stock settings the voltage is around 1.4 under load and generates massive heat, nearing 90 degrees with a Dark Rock Pro 4 with an agressive curve and ambient temp of 15C.
I mean you know what setting a manual scalar does right? Bypasses the FIT part of your chip, and just shoves voltage to achieve frequency boost.IMO the best route for now (most optimal power/temp wise) is to not touch scalar or boost if you are on air and let PB2 do it's thing.Maybe in later Agesa 's AMD is gonna expand PBO and give more refined tools to fine tune voltage/frequency more precisely

301 - 320 of 346 Posts