Overclock.net banner

321 - 340 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not knocking you ,I think you misunderstand how Ryzen CPU works.
AMD algorithm will adjust CPU voltages when all things are good to keep the electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom under control and within safe parameters .I would say trust the AMD engineers. If you do not like to look the voltages ,it is easily changeable but I suggest test after any changes. BTW CPU default voltage is up to 1.5v and 1.55v PBO depending on BIOS agesa,motherboard.
You can also use the AMD tools provided in your BIOS AMD Curve OPtimizer.
I'm running a manual OC of 4.6Ghz at 1.33v which is more reasonable, but the thing I came here to check with other users of the board, not the chip, is whether or not PBO pumps out the same amount of voltage under similar settings and under which BIOS. I think this board is still young and still has a lot of bugs that they try to iron out, which is the main use of this thread for me. I saw the link you posted about Robert Hallock's twitter post, the voltages seem more encouraging than what I'm used to on Zen 2 but I feel like these might be spikes under normal boost behaviors and not necessarily safe for a sustained daily OC?

I mean you know what setting a manual scalar does right? Bypasses the FIT part of your chip, and just shoves voltage to achieve frequency boost.IMO the best route for now (most optimal power/temp wise) is to not touch scalar or boost if you are on air and let PB2 do it's thing.Maybe in later Agesa 's AMD is gonna expand PBO and give more refined tools to fine tune voltage/frequency more precisely
I do, but the auto settings provide very little boost while the enhanced 1/2/3/4 settings usually result in a driver stack overflow BSOD so I adjusted the PBO to the highest stable settings which is what I posted earlier. If I wanted to let the chip do it's thing I wouldn't be on an overclock forum.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm running a manual OC of 4.6Ghz at 1.33v which is more reasonable, but the thing I came here to check with other users of the board, not the chip, is whether or not PBO pumps out the same amount of voltage under similar settings and under which BIOS. I think this board is still young and still has a lot of bugs that they try to iron out, which is the main use of this thread for me. I saw the link you posted about Robert Hallock's twitter post, the voltages seem more encouraging than what I'm used to on Zen 2 but I feel like these might be spikes under normal boost behaviors and not necessarily safe for a sustained daily OC?
I agree 100% MSI X570 Tomahawk has problems as I stated many times. I am not interested in arguing, I say trust AMD engineers ,you can agree or not.

AMD engineer default setting I trust AMD engineer
Single core 656
Multi Score - 6179
Full AVX load -76.5°C

My setting all core overclock I will not run 24/7
5800X all core overclock Cinebench 20 - 4800Mhz
Multi score -6330 @ 72.5℃ with 1.29v

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
save and test.
It's not clear for me. If I set in AMD overclocking section add up to 200MHz I'll get: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz. OK.
After, I go to Advanced CPU Configuration section (set PBO boost) and add up to another 500MHz. Will I get (in theory) 5050MHz+500MHz=5550MHz?

·
Registered
20 Posts
1.44v which seems unsafe for PBO.
No .

"I'm specifically looking for reports where the voltage is stuck at a particular value, or a small range of values, around 1.4V--no matter how long you sit there and watch it. It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle.
These dips may be brief, and that's okay.
Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also.
This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second.
You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system."

Source : AMD_robert on Reddit

It's for Zen 2 but a Ryzen is a Ryzen ;-)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anyone know the most efficient way of resetting bios when you're not posting? I changed some ram settings and couldn't post so had to take the cmos battery out. It then put me on a earlier bios that didn't support my zen 3 cpu so i had to use flashback again which was a tedious process. Will i be needing to flashback everytime i can't post?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Anyone know the most efficient way of resetting bios when you're not posting? I changed some ram settings and couldn't post so had to take the cmos battery out. It then put me on a earlier bios that didn't support my zen 3 cpu so i had to use flashback again which was a tedious process. Will i be needing to flashback everytime i can't post?
Just used a flathead to bridge the first two pins of JBAT1 located over the sysfan headers. You could buy a on/off jumper too for that.

Ignore that rude post.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's really weird because clearing cmos should not revert your bios version..

edit: most efficient way is if you have an old case unused case, take the old power button out and use it on the clear cmos pins.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It's not clear for me. If I set in AMD overclocking section add up to 200MHz I'll get: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz. OK.
After, I go to Advanced CPU Configuration section (set PBO boost) and add up to another 500MHz. Will I get (in theory) 5050MHz+500MHz=5550MHz?
Like BluePaint said .What I wrote I thought was clear not sure how you misread what I wrote but all is good.
(in theory) would be 4850Mhz+ 500Mhz=5350Mhz

You can use the reset switch cable from your case and attach it to your JBAT1 to reset CMOS any time you want when your PC does not post.

·
Registered
X570 tomahawk, Ryzen 5600x, Gskill trident 3600mhz, Corsair MP600 (1tb),2080ti trio Z, Predator x34p
2 Posts
Anyone have this motherboard with 5600x cpu and F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW (trident z 3600 ram) ?
I tried to maunally set ram to (xmp) profile in bios, and after that I only have black screen.

Used jumper on jtag to get the machine booting again.

But still I want to run ram in better/"the right" timings/hz

Any tips would be VERY much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Anyone have this motherboard with 5600x cpu and F4-3600C16D-16GTZKW (trident z 3600 ram) ?
I tried to maunally set ram to (xmp) profile in bios, and after that I only have black screen.

Used jumper on jtag to get the machine booting again.

But still I want to run ram in better/"the right" timings/hz

Any tips would be VERY much appreciated :)
I have a 5600x but not the same memory. Same thing happens to me when I run my Ballistix Elite 4000mhz at 1900mhz 1:1:1, I have to reset CMOS and then the board will post and everything will be stable under OCCT. I've created a ticket with MSI regarding this issue, there seems to be spotty memory compatibility or maybe the new BIOS aren't up to snuff yet. I know this kit to be good up to 4000mhz so it's not the sticks themselves.

What I had to do is scale back my memory to 3600mhz and everything runs fine now, although it would be great to actually run the memory as it is intended to. Is your memory known to be good at 3600mhz on another machine? Are you trying to manually set the timings or just the frequency?

·
Registered
X570 tomahawk, Ryzen 5600x, Gskill trident 3600mhz, Corsair MP600 (1tb),2080ti trio Z, Predator x34p
2 Posts
I have a 5600x but not the same memory. Same thing happens to me when I run my Ballistix Elite 4000mhz at 1900mhz 1:1:1, I have to reset CMOS and then the board will post and everything will be stable under OCCT. I've created a ticket with MSI regarding this issue, there seems to be spotty memory compatibility or maybe the new BIOS aren't up to snuff yet. I know this kit to be good up to 4000mhz so it's not the sticks themselves.

What I had to do is scale back my memory to 3600mhz and everything runs fine now, although it would be great to actually run the memory as it is intended to. Is your memory known to be good at 3600mhz on another machine? Are you trying to manually set the timings or just the frequency?
Hoping its the bios :)
The memory have been working perfectly in another machine. And double checked, and they still do.
I tried to manually set timings and frequency. Both seperatly, and at the same time. Still no post.
Only working on "SPD"

Machine is working "ok"... But you know.. Want to run thins as intended :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently bought a 5800X and have had the X570 Tomahawk sitting around for a few weeks (along with a 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 Samsung B-Die RAM kit)...can anyone tell me the best/most stable BIOS version to use...thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently bought a 5800X and have had the X570 Tomahawk sitting around for a few weeks (along with a 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 Samsung B-Die RAM kit)...can anyone tell me the best/most stable BIOS version to use...thanks
151beta is ok. Not perfect but it's ok for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had BIOS freeze up multiple times when saving settings on 151 beta. Also FCLK capability dropped from 2000 to 1867 after updating to 151 beta.

IMO test 140 release version first if you get WHEA errors or not.
You can do OCCT 1h stability test or Aida64 MEM benchmark and check HWINFO64 for errors, L-cache benchmark steps generate errors really easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a frustrating issue with this board, bought new along with 5900x I was able to snag.

latest firmware installed.

I'm not adept at trouble shooting so figure somebody here might have seen this before.

Fresh install of windows goes fine, boots up, temps good 29c idle, ~65-70c under load, boosting to ~4.7Ghz all cores, ~4.9 single cores. Benches good, seems real stable. So I tried playing around with a few things in Ryzen Master, just enabling PBO. Asks me to reset, sure. On reset it does not boot - I get stuck in a "repair" windows loop and can't get into windows. I am able to repair using USB. I get into windows, everything seems fine again. But anytime I reset, the same thing happens.

I tried a bios reflash incase Ryzen Master messed with anything (?), I even tried another fresh re-install of windows10. I've tried disabling all other boot devices. I'm installing to a a new 1tb swordfish M2.

Everything I've tried thus far, I end up stuck in this "repair windows" loop anytime I've reset. Only once or twice in 6 hours of tinkering have I successfully reset.

Thoughts from people much more experienced than me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a frustrating issue with this board, bought new along with 5900x I was able to snag.

latest firmware installed.

I'm not adept at trouble shooting so figure somebody here might have seen this before.

Fresh install of windows goes fine, boots up, temps good 29c idle, ~65-70c under load, boosting to ~4.7Ghz all cores, ~4.9 single cores. Benches good, seems real stable. So I tried playing around with a few things in Ryzen Master, just enabling PBO. Asks me to reset, sure. On reset it does not boot - I get stuck in a "repair" windows loop and can't get into windows. I am able to repair using USB. I get into windows, everything seems fine again. But anytime I reset, the same thing happens.

I tried a bios reflash incase Ryzen Master messed with anything (?), I even tried another fresh re-install of windows10. I've tried disabling all other boot devices. I'm installing to a a new 1tb swordfish M2.

Everything I've tried thus far, I end up stuck in this "repair windows" loop anytime I've reset. Only once or twice in 6 hours of tinkering have I successfully reset.

Thoughts from people much more experienced than me?
Try to clear CMOS (BIOS). Try it several times thoroughly. Sometimes to clear CMOS happens after 2-3 times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
with the X570 Tomahawk what are the temp thresholds as far as the Silent and Balanced settings?...which is the best/recommended setting?

321 - 340 of 443 Posts